It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

l keep hearing all the time BP, yes BP is responsible for the oilspill and yes they should get prosecuted for it. but l do think that we are being a little blinkered here. l watched Obamas speech about the GOM. he quite rightly said that BP will pay for the clean up and compensate the people, with a slight stutter and a gulp he said, as others will. Just couldnt say that word Halliburton, probably slipped his mind,he looked lost in the moment for a sec. The oil is a catastrophie no one can deny that but the killer, far worse is Corexit even worse is the fact that they know what corexit will do. They know people will get very sick, do they care? of course not. big pharma will make a KILLING out of this. Their stocks and shares will soar. l cant do links but l think you all might like to google `Bloomberg halliburton` you can find out all about corexit, whats in it and what it will do to you. l hope and pray you all stay safe, peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I've been saying tha since the very beginning!

link   
Who let the kids out of school early again?

Why so much hate toward Americans? Most of us have nothing to do with what goes on in the Corporate US's military excursions.

Sounds like you have been brainwashed by your own national TV, just like many Americans have been brainwashed by their own TV stations.

You wanna hate on America, go right ahead. In this country that is your right. But for heaven's sake, get off your soapbox and do it somewhere else. Contribute something useful. If you are so worried about the starving children around the world, then go volunteer your time. Give money, give food, do whatever you think is right. Realize that if the US fails, your economy will follow suit. The dollar is still standard in most places. I guess it would take the oil to knock on your backdoor and ask for a cup of sugar for you to actually realize how bad it is.

Please review your facts, come back with an intelligent argument, and leave the hate at the door. There is too much hate in the world, and we don't need more people contributing to it, both here in America, and you in Finland.

I sometimes wonder why humans are still in existence. Disgusting creatures.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

link   
reply to post by Ulala

True, but realize that these things don't usually happen in the US. Lots of laws and standards are held to prevent this. So, it is a big deal compared to happenings in other areas.

BTW, this thread reeks of major trolling.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

It blows my mind that someone with such little knowledge of what is happening to OUR earth can spew off such ignorance.The BP disaster is massive on levels YOU obviously cannot comprehend.And you wonder why people are responding with such emotion...Seriously!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Sadly I think you will sing a different tune if they don't get this thing under control and it crosses to your side of the pond. I don't know about the Brits, but we love our wildlife and our people. An entire way of life has been destroyed buy the greed of the Corporate fat cats. I don't blame the British people, this is a corporation that is almost half US owned.

You really need to tone down the rhetoric.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

You've earned my Darwin award for the most stupid thread/statement this year on ATS. Deny ignorance!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala

So get it in perspective, it's an oil spill, it's an accident, it's unfortunate ... do something about it, plenty of you seem to have so much time on your hands, volunteer to help clean up, help at a wildlife centre, make a charitable donation ... do something ... do anything ... but get over it ... and get over yourselves too.

It just happens to be the largest oil spill in history. That and we haven't figured out a quick way to solve the problem. It's kind of a big deal...

So get it in perspective, it's the largest oil spill by far and still growing. I know it's popular to bash America but it's not going to work in this situation. Wait a few more days, you will get a simi-legitimate chance.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
WOW! That OP bit real hard.. now I have the red Ass.

I thought how can a human being have so little sympathy for a people it doesn't even know on a personal basis. It is so hard to understand humanity.

But hate filled expressions like this are not virgin to our ears. We know the majority of other countries hate us for coming onto their land and sticking our nose in their business, whatever the governments agenda may be

People from around the world could care less is we collapse as a nation or fall of the planet.

I believe the OP does recognize the severity of this disaster. He would be an idiot if he didn't. It may not be doomsday and the world may not end because of it, but I think it will be the straw that breaks the camels back as far as our economy .But it is no skin off his ass because It just so happens to not be on his shore or in his backyard. I think he stated he was Anti-American. So his words should not be surprising.

This oil leak is gonna be the test of our time. I hope we can recover from this but it is hard to say what next week or next month is gonna hold in this situation. It is scary even imagining what effect this is gonna have on us as a nation. I watch this everyday on the news and it looks bleak. But I'm gonna try and have hope that BP along with the government can find a way to stop this.

But the OP has a hardened heart for a nation of people he doesn't even know. Maybe when he sleeps on it he will realize we are all one people on one planet that need to support each other in a time of need, regardless of what he thinks of our government.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

A Bad Spill is if I Spill a can Paint in the Garage. Trying to clean up
4 Litres of Paint is a Nightmare.

Now depending who's figures you use it's somewhere 15,000,000 and
150,000,000 gallons of Oil.

A spill you can wipe up with a damp cloth. But 230+ Olympic Swimming
pools, is that a lot really. That depends how you quanify it, against
total amount of water in the Oceans, it's just a drop in a bucket.

And while it's good see Obama wanting to reduce the intake of Fossil
Fuels.....But then all these products are made from by products of Oil

Petrol for cars
Diesel for cars
lorries and ships
Aviation fuel for planes

Credit cards , Plastic bags , Hair brushes , Anti-freeze , Motorcycle Helmets , Carpets , Telephones , Brake fluid ,
Boats , Glue , Toilet Seats , Shampoo , Household paint , Detergent , Bowls , Fertiliser , Explosives , Car tyres ,
Artificial turf , Football boots , Lipstick , Weed killer , Parachutes , Umbrellas , Food wrappers , Shower curtains ,
Waterproof coats , Artifical limbs , Roads , Bubble wrap , Drinks bottles , Toothbrushes , Life jackets , Fishing line ,
Tennis rackets , .Roller blades , Eye glasses , Lunch boxes , Flower pots , Toys , Car seats , Insulation , Nail polish ,
Hair spray , Medicines , Insect repellant , Golf balls , Ammonia , Anesthetics , Antihistamines , Artificial limbs , Artificial Turf ,
Antiseptics , Aspirin , Auto Parts , Awnings , Balloons , Ballpoint pens , Bandages , Beach Umbrellas , Boats , Cameras ,
Candles , Car Battery Cases , Carpets , Caulking , Combs , Cortisones , Cosmetics , Crayons , Credit Cards , Curtains ,
Deodorants , Detergents , Dice , Disposable Diapers , Dolls , Dyes , Eye Glasses , Electrical Wiring Insulation ,
Faucet Washers , Fishing Rods , Fishing Line , Fishing Lures , Food Preservatives , Food Packaging , Garden Hose ,
Glue , Hair Coloring , Hair Curlers , Hand Lotion , Hearing Aids , Heart Valves , Ink , Insect Repellant , Insecticides ,
Linoleum , Lip Stick , Milk Jugs , Nail Polish , Oil Filters , Panty Hose , Perfume , Petroleum Jelly , Rubber Cement ,
Rubbing Alcohol , Shampoo , Shaving Cream , Shoes , Toothpaste , Trash Bags , Upholstery , Vitamin Capsules ,
Water Pipes , Yarn

These are just the everyday Items.....
Our entire lives are dependant on using Toxic materials that will
kill all Life forms.

Americans consume petroleum products at a rate of three-and-a-half gallons of oil and more than 250 cubic feet of natural gas per day each!
That's just an Obscene amount of Oil

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidCrystalz

Please, please dont judge us all because of one persons ignorance. The OP sounds like a kid trying to be a gown up but has a long way to go. There are a lot of people here that cant sleep for the situation in the GOM. l know lm one of them. l hope and pray that someone finds a solution to this awful mess soon, its worse than criminal. take care. peace.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I wish you werent so ignorant. Its a deep well drilled 30,000 plus feet deep. The well was after A-biotic oil, if you did the research you would realize it will be to your coast soon because I am assuming your foriegn. In any case please do some research, I mean real research, not the stuff on tv. Get prepared. Download the Gulf Oil Coast to Coast AM Torrent on thepiratebay.com. I will be seeding indefinently. TY and Good Luck

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
forgive OP ignorance

he doesn't know that if you don't stop the leak soon, oil will slowly come with the currents to Finnish shores. and slowly that country will be knon as black Finland.

and then he will be angry, he will start making 1000 posts of how is this terrible.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by star child

No, I do not judge each individual for one person's sarcastic remark.. I hope I did not come off as meaning that. But most of the world don't like the U.S.
And it is the governments around the world that feed this hatred among their people about the U.S................I only meant this for those who spew anti-american hatred...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Okay, the well is deeper and the flow of oil may be more, but the very similar Ixtoc disaster in 1979 resulted in between 10,000 and 30,000 barrels of oil pouring into the Gulf for 10 months before it was finally capped.

Guess what? There was no ELE. We didn't all die. The world did not end. And today it's totally forgotten about.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
When the evidence is easily viewable from space, it's a big deal. They don't call the Great Wall of China the Not That big of a deal Wall of China.

Currently, though devastating, it is fixable through a vast, vast effort. However, considering the ineptness of our government and the absurdity of the BP effort, can we really assume that this will get fixed, that people will get to work on cleaning up this disaster?? I'm less than convinced. Obama has shown his own complete impotence. He wants to form a committee after 59 days of complete disaster. What the hell is that about?

And, the most important element of why it's such a large problem -- Continuing unabated, this oil spill has the ability to kill all life in the gulf. Is that alarmist? I don't think it is, because do any of you have even the slightest bit of confidence that this leak can or will get plugged? In two more months? In two more years? The ecological damage could be much more profound than a lot of people realize. Forget dollars for a minute... Start thinking about the food chain. Massive death in the ocean causes an increase in particular bacteria that de-oxygenate the water, causing more death. It's a spiraling disaster of proportions that at some point cannot be stopped.

This has the potential for being the largest ecological disaster in the history of the world. We can only hope somebody figures out something soon and does something about it. You know, besides forming a committee...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Nope.

Kuwait - 1991 - 520 million gallons
Iraqi forces opened the valves of several oil tankers in order to slow the invasion of American troops. The oil slick was four inches thick and covered 4000 square miles of ocean.

Mexico - 1980 - 100 million gallons
An accident in an oil well caused an explosion which then caused the well to collapse. The well remained open, spilling 30,000 gallons a day into the ocean for a full year.

Trinidad and Tobago - 1979 - 90 million
During a tropical storm off the coast of Trinidad and Tobago, a Greek oil tanker collided with another ship, and lost nearly its entire cargo.

Russia - 1994 - 84 million gallons
A broken pipeline in Russia leaked for eight months before it was noticed and repaired.

Persian Gulf - 1983 - 80 million gallons
A tanker collided with a drilling platform which, eventually, collapsed into the sea. The well continued to spill oil into the ocean for seven months before it was repaired.

Oh dear, not in the top 5 yet.....

[edit on 17-6-2010 by D377MC]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I think the OP was trying to make the point (badly) that "oil spills" have happened repeatedly elsewhere in the world and that this generally passes under the radar of most americans (if not most westerners). The fact that the spill is now on the US's shores seems to now be bringing out the worst political rhetoric and making the US (and the west in general) look like the massive hypocrites that we are. Maybe Obama and his predecessors should have been talking about clean energy sources before now, based on the environmental carnage happening in Nigeria etc. Oh....but that's ok....it's a far off shore and who cares.....

And Obama's move of calling BP, British Petroleum, whilst factually correct many many years ago, is NOW totally misleading and counterproductive. BP is a multinational company which is 39% owned by US shareholders. UK (British) ownership is only 40%.

Source here www.bp.com...

Continued focus on "British Petroleum" by Obama and the US media is having a significant detrimental effect on the US/UK political and business relationships and will have a massive detrimental effect on the retirement plan of many ordinary joe's both in the UK and the US as they have a long history of investing in BP and other such massive multinational companies.

BP (the multinational) have made a HUGE error which will have profound effects for a long time and it will affect many people both directly and indirectly. BP should therefore pay for the damage done and the losses that have been sustained.

But Obama and his cronies should not use this disaster (which it surely is) as a tool to manipulate public opinion to save his own skin. And the US media should not use BP's so called "nationality" as a tool to boost ratings without thought for the long term implications.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Well... if you go by the BP arithmetic, then yes it is a minor spill and does not make the top 5. Actually, you're right, I'll definitely go with what BP has been telling us....

hahaha

Ok it's not the end of the world, but the possible future scope of this disaster which HASN'T STOPPED must be understood. This is an unfolding disaster, not one that is finite. As we type here, the disaster grows.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Just found it strange that a thread cussing 'Christ " in its header or title is allowed to flourish, in fact Iam amazed, but then again ...some get leeway some don't, I dare anyone to post a thread , blaspheming against Islam or Judaism, and see how far one gets, the hypocrisy on ATS is startling or not.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join