It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
"For Christ's Sake" - in case you didn't get the memo, Jesus got burnt to the ground the other day.

"Just an oil spill" - OK - take a vacation and go for a swim there then. Or take a bath in some 10W40. Why not? Just a bit of oil.

Why not huff some fumes while your at it? If you can't break away to experience the VOCs in The Gulf maybe you can substitute some petrol distillates from your air fresheners and floor cleaners and even in food these days - or - why not go nuts and have a bonfire of plastic containers in your yard?

Just a bit of fumes. You can roast marshmallows

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Wow... You really need to pull your head out of your a$$ and realize whats really going on... Who cares what part of the world it's in. It could be in the most remote part of the ocean and it would still be a very concerning situation. The ocean around the spill is likely gong to die. Meaning all plant and animal life will be GONE!!!

I can promise you that this will impact even you in some way in the future... We havnt even began to see the hell storm that this is going to turn into, garunteed!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
From your use of "bloody" I deduce you are from Britain, but if not, I am sorry. The spill is the size of your country. Does that put things in perspective for you?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Ulala

Last time I checked BP was still the logo for BRITISH PETROLEUM.
YA Just checked it again. You just got the crap scared out of you, huh?
You woke -up and thought you heard that we had declared war on your asses, huh? I can't wait til Germany is pounding at your door again.
Be funny to watch who ever has to come gravaling across the pond again.

So how long you going to call that one in? What is also funny is how Britain was the only real western nation with any substantial global influence that supported US on its disastrous oil campaign in Iraq. Yes oil. funny that.

Because we love you guys, no matter how much depication you throw at us. Randyvious
[edit on 16-6-2010 by randyvs]

No you do not. You love what is good for you. And so does every other nation, rightfully so. And you love Britain because it still gives you pull in Europe, a Europe pulling away from you.

If Obama jeopardizes transatlantic relations for an oil spill (and its not just-another-oil-spill I agree), well he does just that then. The consequences, benefits and whatnots shall follow, and a new alignments shall be formed.

This (like every other?) government does what is safest for itself. Blame the next in line. They cannot accept responsibility for this, even though they are responsible for it in a way. If it was Shell and not BP, I suspect the same would happen, but would you curse the 'infernal' Dutch? No.. because I doubt you or anyone else would know much about the Dutch.
So politicizing this doesn't help.

Put the blame where it belongs, with the oil company and the institution(s) that gave them the lee-way to cut corners. Not on Britain.
Dragging foreign companies to court (Toyota) and trying to win brownie points on nationalism is not going to help either.
And its not in some backwater lagoon in oil reserves of Nigeria; where one can claim that government corruption, and political turmoil along with almost no media attention would cause such an incident to occur.
Its in the backyard of a developed western democratic country; where standards, guidelines, fail-safes, quality reviews etc should be the best in the world.

So I disagree with the OP. Its not a just another oil spill, esp if the Obama government plays it wrong. Its a geopolitical and ecological change catalyst.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

1st not an accident
2nd not the peoples fault
3rd we are all the same
4th people will be harmed by this
5th peoples food will die
6th its a disaster
7th u not being affected makes u a jerk?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Right it's nearly 03:00 hrs and I'm going to reply to some of the contributions, place them together in categories for my own convenience …

That “we saved your asses during the war etc etc” … well, no you didn't, you really didn't. Because Finland was an axis belligerent country for most of WW2, we were allied with Nazi Germany for years (until we changed sides), we invaded the Soviet Union, Britain even declared war on us, (did any American troops even set foot in Finland at all ?) … so, anyway, please dispel any idea you saved our asses, you might get away with that line of thought with Britain, France … or in some parallel dimension of which I'm not familiar … but not with Finland (on a personal note, and before any of the great, unwashed disgruntled go off on a tangent, my Grandfather fled Finland, fought with the Norwegians and English against the Nazis, just so you know).

Biggest release of oil ever in the entire history of the whole wide world ? No, it isn't. And that's a fact. Go try google for the worst gushers, many of which leaked twice, three times as much oil and weren't sealed for over a year. Go check out Nigeria and the problems they're facing then come back here with your tails between your legs.

That the oil's going to pollute all the seas, spread to Europe, Africa etc … no, it isn't. The vast majority is going to wash up on the coastline of the Gulf, neighboring islands etc. To suggest otherwise is just scaremongering. To those who say the oil leak will affect me here in far away land … no, it won't. It might affect the coastline where my old man's vacation home is located, in Florida, but that's about it. That's his problem. I told him he should've sold it two years ago before the crash, he never listens.

That we're all on this little blue planet and should look out for each other …. get stuffed. Tell that to Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cambodia etc etc and all the other places you've wasted as part of your crusades to extend American corporate influence. You reap what you sow, don't come crying to me in your despair because I haven't done sympathy for Americans since 2003. Having said that, I will feel more concerned if the oil spreads beyond the USA coast but hey, I'm anti American, that's my prerogative … sorry !

That we should feel sympathy for USA because the media misleads us, most America people are actually poor … yeah ? We've been telling you that you're poor for years, that all you were doing was living on borrowed money … but you were the ones insisting you were living the American Dream & ramming corporate capitalism and an unrestrained financial system on the rest of us … sympathy because your debts are being called in and you're now as poor as the rest of us have always been ? Nope, that one really doesn't wash at all. Must try harder. And that's got sod all to do with this oil problem anyway.

Do I give to charity ? Yes. Have I helped clean up an oil related disaster ? No. Will I come to America to help out ? No.

The poor fish, lobsters all suffering in their crude oily marinade ? I can't really find much sympathy for fish, if I'm honest my sympathies lie further up the food chain, with the creatures which eat the fish. Now that will be a tragedy, the marine mammals, sharks etc and I've never said otherwise.

What about the childr … sorry, the poor lobsters ? Yeah, I do feel sorry for them, as do many of you guys I assume … we'll let past the fact you ordinarily let diners pick the one of their choice, throw them un-stunned into boiling water etc. So much for animal welfare, you nation of multifaceted hypocrites. Crude oil marinade … boiling water, mm, decisions decisions. This particular crustacean might prefer to take his chances with the crude oil.

The flora & fauna. That'll recover. The birdlife … that's pretty grim, actually, you'd need a heart of stone not to feel upset looking at the pictures of birds struggling through all that oil. Hence my suggestion to get off your lardy backsides, donate some money to animal welfare charities, help out at a rescue center etc etc … because that's what I'd do if faced with similar circumstances. But, hey, it's 5,000+ miles away. It's really not my problem. There's over 300,000,000 of you who haven't done a damn thing apart from greet & groan on internet forums about the cruelty of it all. So get off your backsides in that same pioneering spirit of your forebears … or instead casually relax like this European. Your call.

Environmental dead zones for 100 years ? Na. Just get the oil scooped up and disposed of, sharpish, Mother Nature will recover faster than you could possibly imagine.

The Economic consequences ? Tourism failing etc ? Just practice what GWB preached after Sept 11th, keep on spending those dollars on shopping, tourism etc, just slap the bills onto those plastic cards and don't cancel those vacations … and that's a particularly American issue for you guys to sort, because most foreign tourists don't slum it in Alabama. Americans do. Yeah local unemployment might rise as a consequence, BP will pay all your financial losses, consider it an extended holiday. They're already rubbing their hands with glee, these hotel owners … because, like, this season was always going to be the greatest ever, the global economic meltdown assured that, huh ? I think not.

That I haven't criticized BP enough … well here's my take. You can bankrupt BP if you like, take them to the cleaners for compensation, I don't care about multi national corporations, they transcend national boundaries, offend the sovereignty of nations and need brought under rigorous international control, to do that you need international cooperation and not the bunker like “hate the world” mentality so many Americans share.

That the spill will lead to 40-50 million evacuees, martial law, acid rains covering North America, catastrophic earthquakes, the collapse of the Gulf Sea floor, mega tsunamis etc … on reading this thread I'm tempted to wish it would, the opprobrium being heaped on my shoulders by all and sundry. But, like I say, that won't happen. No sensible person with a brain between his ears could reasonably anticipate any one of those events occurring.

Right ... is that it ? Answer all your little queries, concerns ?

Thanks again. And back to bed.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaWhiz
I love you Brits! Its just a flag. Its just an oil spill.
I would love the tables to be turned in your direction and we'll see what you'd have to say eating Shell Oil Fish (aka shell fish).
Better yet is your home oil heated? Let's fill up that well til you can't breathe from choking on fumes.
Honestly, you think way too much of yourself. Do us all a favor, leave your address. I've got some food to ship to you.
People like this should be made to work the clean up so they can learn what they don't know.
Just an oil spill. Yeah right.

Try reading the whole thread pal (or maybe just the OP!).......the OP isn't a Brit, I believe he's from Finland........some of you guys need to loose the "shoot first ask questions later" attitude!

[edit on 16/6/2010 by Argyll]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Good points and eloquently put !

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Typical British Sassanacks - they have created havoc ever since their existence

- WW 1 & 2
- Israel & Palestine conflict
- India & Pakistan religious dissection
- South Africa & Zimbabwe apartheid
- Iraq & Afghanistan anti-Islamic war
- and now doomsday

British Petroleum was funding all these atrocities with the help of BBC as their mouth piece and now its payback time, I hope they never getup again.

They only believe in divide and rule, when will they ever learn to stop - enough is enough.

stupid sneaky bastards of small people.

[edit on 0909:6 16/06 by Charly111]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

You know, all that you were saying was ringing absolutely true. I was thinking, "Yep, us Americans deserve that kind of attitude thrown at us". Then you ended it with that bit in which you used an absolute statement that is quite obviously proved otherwise. You say no sensible person that uses their brain would think any of that? Many quite sensible people that intelligently use their brain have said many of those things.

Perhaps because you are casually sitting there as a European as you admitted that is causing you to be far too ignorant to make such absolute statements.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

It's not an oil spill... it's an oil leak. Big difference .. you know, like you tip a glass of water, oops I spilled my water, compared to a water main breaking you don't say "oops, I spilled my water" as your house floods and is destroyed.

In the early days I'd say it probably wasn't that big of a deal, weather prevented oil from reaching land, it was said that they could contain it, they said they had enough response to keep oil at bay.

Well they lied.. the flow of oil is 10x worse than they originally claimed, they had no way of stemming the flow, they didn't (and don't) have nearly enough volunteers and contractors working to prevent and clean the oil slicks on the beaches or wash the birds, turtles, crabs etc.

It's turned into an environmental disaster of epic proportions. And you're right, the President should stfu and sit down, he had his chance to save the day and he sat on his arse or singing with the Beatles. But the people of America are pissed off, and he has to pretend he gives a damn to keep his job.

link   

Originally posted by Charly111
Typical British Saskatoon's - they have created havoc ever since their existence

- WW 1 & 2
- and now doomsday

British Petroleum was funding all these atrocities with the help of BBC as their mouth piece and now its payback time, I hope they never getup again.

They only believe in divide and rule, when will they ever learn to stop enough is enough.

stupid bastards small people.

How can you make such a sweeping statement. Most British people are ordinary folk like you and youre friends and family, just trying to get on with their lives. Im British i couldnt give a toss what happens to BP its a company it means nothing to me. If a wall mart blew up in the uk killing brits i wouldnt then hate Americans for it, because im not a moron, unlike some of the absolute garbage this thread has produced. Do i judge American people based on their government foreign policy and the select greedy few who pull the strings, no i dont because generally most Americans are just trying to live as good a life as they can like anywhere else. I feel sorry for you to live with such pigeon hole preconceptions and limited bull# view on history it seems.

link   
"You guys need to get such a sense of perspective on this. It's just an oil spill, the fact it affects your own shores is unfortunate ... but you didn't worry about that when you were driving your ever so economic gas guzzlers and their 20mph fuel efficiency ... as US corporations were so polluting the environments of other countries ... countries which most of your own citizens still can't even name, let alone identify on a global atlas."

You are absolutely correct. Those nasty corporations that built the ships to haul the oil, planes and tanks in the 30's and 40's to save your a$$ were totally wasted.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Nite_wing]

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Nite_wing]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

This is more than just an oil spill, this could have devastating results for all of humanity.

Please start another thread, once they stop it, IF they stop it, I would like to hear what you say then.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Sorry but this is not a oil spill this is a uncontrolable oil and chemical gusher.Every day more comes out so it won't be long before it in evrything you eat and drink no matter where you live what goes up always comes down.Maybe they will track the oil thru the currents and you read when it off the coast of finland.That why they being so hushed up over it.They can't move all the people out of harms way and if they could catch it all there not enough tankers or storage for it.So they trying to burn some of it.But don't worry over there when you go to crying for help we will come help because we are still america.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by R-evolve

How can you make such a sweeping statement. Most British people are ordinary folk like you and youre friends and family, just trying to get on with their lives. Im British i couldnt give a toss what happens to BP its a company it means nothing to me. If a wall mart blew up in the uk killing brits i wouldnt then hate Americans for it, because im not a moron, unlike some of the absolute garbage this thread has produced. Do i judge American people based on their government foreign policy and the select greedy few who pull the strings, no i dont because generally most Americans are just trying to live as good a life as they can like anywhere else. I feel sorry for you to live with such pigeon hole preconceptions and limited bull# view on history it seems.

Well said. I was about to sound off against this moron for his anti american statements like he can speak for a person over here in america. Personally i could care less if finland fell off the map and from the sound of this guy i wouldnt mind seeing his small section of it go now. It pisses me off to hear people judge any citizen of any country who is just trying to live in the system they were born in and try to make the best of what life has to offer. Its easy to make statements like he has and for others to pop off and say move if you dont like your country or do something to change it. For the most part the average citizen in every country isnt politically active and out trying to be a voice of change in their country. They just want to work, pay their bills and live life and find some measure of happiness before they leave this planet. There are those out there who are not content with a life of mediocrity and want to be a tool for change and try to do something to make their mark on this planet. A visible mark.
I am not one of those people. I am raising my son, living my life and suffering with what life has to throw at me and do the best i can. I do not like what goes on in the world sometimes even in my own backyard but that doesnt mean i can or even try to change anything. I have my responsibilities to myself and my family first. Does this make me a selfish american who is fat and lazy? Hell no. I am a hard working human being who will do anything for my family because i know people like the OP isnt going to do it for me. He knows nothing about the people of this country. We are not so different from the rest of the world. We are people. We differ in our cultures and our ways yes because its what we know. Its what we were raised to know and believe. I do not sit by and try and judge you or your culture by any standards at all. I am content with the fact that you seem to be a miserable hater who is drowning in a sea of self superiority. Thats your right i suppose. I do not for onoe second assume everyone in your country is the same. I am sure there are alot of people just like me there. Not so different once you get past the cultural barriers and language differences. People in your country love and laugh and cry and sing and take joy in the small things in life just as we do here.
I agree with the person who said you should get your head out of your ass. This oil spill is bad. Of course it is human nature for people to want to over exacerbate any disaster or accident. We love to make things sound so much worse than they are but even if thats the case and this isnt THE worst thing going on in the world its the worst thing going on to some.
I doubt very seriously if you would give a rats ass about some poor schmuck in afghanistan or bosnia or anywhere else in the world who was suffering while your own house was on fire. Your little disaster would be THE worst thing going on for you.
You make sweeping judgements about ALL us americans because we have a problem here and we should just get a grip and go back to saving people in ethiopia or haiti or whereever else you think we should be. People like you think we should keep our noses out of everyone elses business but at the same time you would demonize us for not running to someones aid at the first sign of disaster.
I am glad your world is so black and white for you. You seem to know it all and have a handle on everything. Its too damn bad we dont have you for president. Then this would all be fixed and you would have us lazy fat ass americans back on track and doing whats right i suppose. I guess the world has been cheated some by not having wonderful people like you making your own country a world power and putting ALL is lazy fat corporate fear and war omngering americans in line and showing us all the finish way. The right way. Hell if hitler had won i know you suck asses would be soaking up the fascist rays of sunshine right now wouldnt you. Jump on board whatever team seems to be winning eh? First fight for the nazis then change sides when it seems like you cant win. Sounds to me like you need to jump in bed with the french and the limeys. Oh sorry was that a broad sweeping statement and anti finnish?
Seriously get a life. I personally am not worried anymore about this spill going global than most or that it will even mean some kind of doomsday thing or is the worst disaster but then again i also dont believe in 2012 and nibiru. I do agree that people who do believe in those things have the right to say so on forums like this if they choose to because its why this forum exists. SO please STFU take a pill go back to bed and sleep well knowing your safe over there in finland and can drink a beer and hate america!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Wow, just a "spill?" Here you go folks, IGNORANCE at its best! So the equivalent of an Exxon Valdez happening every 4 days is just a spill? By the time the REAL truth is told, we will find that it is equivalent to an Exxon Valdez happening EVERY day. Under CONTROLLED conditions, this was able to bring 500,000 barrels A DAY to the surface (twice the Exxon disaster in ONE SINGLE day)! That's with the pipe, drill, and everything working as it should. But in case you haven't noticed, it's a gusher out there --not a "spill." Things aren’t really working as they should. They're calling it a spill because a spill remains harmless in the psyche of everyone. Can't be calling it a gusher and have everyone remain calm, now can we?

I have people who live down there and it's ALREADY effecting their lives. So before you start using words that you don't know, please leave the Big People talk for the Grown Ups, k?

Just a spill, geez. Once they use this disaster as an excuse for Carbon Trading and more regulation as well as getting into our homes & business (Obama has already asked for our "permission") to help the world go Green, then we'll see if you still feel that this was just ...a spill.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charly111
Typical British Sassanacks - they have created havoc ever since their existence

- WW 1 & 2
- and now doomsday

They only believe in divide and rule, when will they ever learn to stop - enough is enough.

Man, I gotta get me some of your hatred because something's really missing in my life. Hate everyone, that's the way to do it.
stupid sneaky bastards of small people.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
What your not understanding about this is if you make us inconvenienced by making an American worry or care then your going to hear about it over and over and over.. If it happens to the US it's the end of time. If it happens to brown people or somewhere with a name a person in Texas can't say then it's not worth knowing..

I've got something to say about that and let me tell ya about this...

to me your point is well taken however the fact that it is happening should not take away from the fact that it sells an agenda and T-shirts..

All the Gloom and Doom is just showing that regular people have no say in anything that goes on in this world. Only a fool could think the future can be predicted...

I love to read ATS, For me its all fiction from crappy little people that are all scared crapless, do yourself a favor live in the now and worry?? There is nothing to worry about!! that is the secret of life..

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join