It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Christ's sake, you people ... it's just a bloody oil spill

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
1. It's obviously not "just an oil spill"

2. We Americans don't have a choice between using gas or not. We don't control the elite any more than you do. The resourches for alternative energy are there however they are being suppressed. This is by no means the average persons fault. Yes, many are careless about gas consumption, but "you Americans" is painting everyone with the same brush. There are idiots in every society.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

You need not worry whenever we declare "war" on something we nearly always lose e.g.
War on Poverty - lose
War on Drugs - lose
War on Terror - lose
War on Oil Spill - ????

I am hoping we will declare War on Stupidity and Greed!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
people like the person that started this thread is a P.O.S. if it were not for the USA people in the world would be fugged!

I wish you lived here so I could bump into you and knock your teeth out!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OurskiesRpoisoned

Nice thread. It's not affecting me, so I don't want to hear about it.

and that my friend is why this tradegy will keep repeating, keep saying "this doesn't affect me so I don't care".

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Alright guys now we're just mindlooping, can we please just ignore the bullsh!t ego games in here and resume something productive with our respective times?

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Gygar]

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Gygar]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Perhaps the issue is that you Non-Americans pay too much attention to us. I honestly don't care if you foreigners do not care about this. I honestly cannot blame you considering all our country has done lately but to say this is just an ordinary oil spill is to either make a completely ignorant statement or to purposefully support the attitude of British Petroleum in this catastrophe.

All one has to understand is to understand the aspect of Pressurization in order to realize just how monumental this event is. You understand the weather right? You understand that areas of high pressure, more atoms, move towards areas of lower pressure so they have more room to move. When those atoms are tightly bunched they become more energetic because they have less room to move and expend that energy thus they transfer the energy.

The same rule applies to underground when you have a vast reservoir of oil under the ground emptying at a fairly rapid rate. That becomes a much lower pressure zone then its surroundings. That means something around it is going to quickly move into that area as it continues to expand. Gas is the fastest moving form of matter thus it is first to fill. When that hot gas moves into the area it will then begin to destabilize the harder solids above that form the bedrock below the ocean. We are now seeing cracks forming on our side of that bedrock. If that motion and pressurization is happening below the bedrock then obvious the part of the crack we see is the end result of much more going on below.

We are looking at our Age's Krakatoa folks. This is no small oil spill. Call me a conspiracy freak if you like, it doesn't matter anymore. It's too late. Why do you think Obama had nothing to say?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
the probleme here is that left wing obama sympathizers won't do anything to help because it'll prove that it's Obama's fault. Well, even though it is his fault, the only people you will hear cyring about this is the severe leftist.

/end of mft

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Intentions
1. It's obviously not "just an oil spill"

2. We Americans don't have a choice between using gas or not. We don't control the elite any more than you do. The resourches for alternative energy are there however they are being suppressed. This is by no means the average persons fault. Yes, many are careless about gas consumption, but "you Americans" is painting everyone with the same brush. There are idiots in every society.

Not only do we not have a choice, from suppression of technology, our zealous desire for energy from the only available means does not put the fault of this disaster on the people who consume the oil.

I've heard that argument a lot, from seemingly bitter people, that it is somehow 'our fault' because we use oil.

I am an avid supporter of alternative energy, namely hydrogen, but in mean time oil extraction can be done safely. Industry standards and practices, if followed, all but guarantee safe extraction.

The profits and payoffs are massive, but there is an expectation that it will be done safely and with minimal impact. The last decade has eroded those regulations, but the prudent corp. should write off extra safety measure costs to business overhead, or suffer the wrath of the people when they don't.

It is sad to find out all of the oil megacorps would have reacted the same way, but they said they wouldn't have continued that well to begin with; who knows for sure, but BP did and failed and now has to pay for it's 'shortcuts'.

On another note the extent of the disaster seems to be beyond your comprehension at this time.

"Idealism increases in direct proportion to ones distance from the problem."
-- John Galsworthy

some quick, off cuff calculations, not accurate from oil loss, clumping, dispersants, blah blah, but ballpark works:

if you take conservative estimate 150,000 gallons/quart(see below):
4 quarts or 1 gallon oil contaminates==> 600,000 gallons Ocean

Oil leak is around 3Million(some say 5M) gallons per DAY!

Each DAY of leak, potentially contaminates:
(3M gal. oil * (600,000 gal./oil gal.))
1,800,000,000,000 gallons of Ocean contaminated per DAY

Thats 1.8 trillion gallons per day.

1.8T * 60 days ====> 108 Trillion gallons so far.
give or take a Trillion...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeinousOne
f British Petroleum

IT'S NOT CALLED BRITISH PETROLEUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE STOP CALLING IT THAT!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!

I hate seeing what is unfolding in the USA. I really feel for the people there and the wildlife. Huge disaster.

BUT please....stop calling it British Petroleum!!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I find it rather ironic that a nation that allowed it's government to kill millions in the name of oil, has that same oil to thank for destroying their own nation.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Hey, what if we cryo-freeze the oil by locating all the cracks and then simultaneously freezing the points using liquid nitro or some other solution-then concrete the cracks after theyre frozen or some other bonding method (feel free to add input on the method(s)) - also at the same time detonate a few oxygen enriched moabs (mother of all bombs) in a safe area of rock around there to create a few relief wells and then channel the pressure towards it. I believe it could work. Im just saying the cryo approach may work.

dibs on it

nemesisvisionary

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
WHEN this gets into the worlds water currents, and it will. it will be bad.

Just an oil spill ?
dont think so.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I'll spell it out for you as you seem to be having some difficulties in assimilating the thrust of the topic.

The OP, after hearing or reading Obama's speech (which he quoted) and faced with 400 plus threads dealing with this topic on this very forum, feels that maybe you are all in need of some perspective. He is quite obviously being provocative when he says 'rather than talking about a miserably mundane oil spillage ... '.

I agree with him, both in substance and in form.

Certainly, when you live in one of the areas affected it doesn't seem that 'mundane'. It will be hell to contain not to mention remedy this event. It all depends what you compare the situation to though...

In my view, and coincidently most of the world's, this event is indeed 'mundane' compared to, lets say, the poisoning of the middle-east with depleted uranium which cannot be contained and will never be cleaned up as the isotopes will remain radioactive for 4,5 billion years. The particulate is already being carried worldwide by prevailing winds, has already killed countless human beings and is already responsible for official warnings being promulgated in parts of Iraq telling women not to have children given the overwhelming chance of them giving birth to deformed monsters.

Some of us would simply like to see the same fuss and drama when you poison, kill and maim millions, but it seems that events are only notable when they affect you directly. Some of us have no sympathy for this kind of double standards - we call it hypocrisy.

All of the above is perfecly on topic, although you may not wish it were.

As for the only sentence you managed to pick out of my post: you might want to do some research before rejecting my comparison, it will save you from further ridicule afterwards.

We get it... now go home and cry to mommy...

What kind of person makes the above type of comment?

Certainly someone who is rude. The use of 'we' is also particularly revealing of your need to be part of a protective crowd of like-minded people, seeing as you obviously lack both the intellect and dialectical skills to debate someone whose opinion differs significantly from your own.

Edit to add - you will forgive me for adding that your post is a precise stereotype of what the world has come to expect most Americans to be like. You know, loud, opinionated, rude, stupid and wrong. Granted, that is not at all my opinion, however I'd hate to count the minority you are part of.

Have a nice evening.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by D377MC]

[edit on 16-6-2010 by D377MC]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nemesisvisionary1
Hey, what if we cryo-freeze the oil by locating all the cracks and then simultaneously freezing the points using liquid nitro or some other solution-then concrete the cracks after theyre frozen or some other bonding method (feel free to add input on the method(s)) - also at the same time detonate a few oxygen enriched moabs (mother of all bombs) in a safe area of rock around there to create a few relief wells and then channel the pressure towards it. I believe it could work. Im just saying the cryo approach may work.

dibs on it

nemesisvisionary

That is thinking out of the box, but you would need a lot of 'cryo' delivered at tat point (whatever gas would work at that pressure) to overcome the thermal energy down there.

I think the core problem though, same as capping the well, since the pressure column is much higher than what it was, any attempt to limit it's flow at the top, just causes it to back feed out sub-surface channels beneath the sea floor, causing it to plume out of surrounding vents.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nemesisvisionary1

dibs on it

nemesisvisionary

The problem is once again pressurization. In order to do the cryofreezing you are going to need a massive pressure system in order to propel it down there plus.....you are talking about doing cryo IN WATER. I am having trouble figuring out if you were being serious or were being sarcastic.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well I just bought BP shares.

Might as well take a punt on this. I was saving for a swimming pool to be built but what the hell. Never let a good opportunity pass you by. That's what I say.

Strike while the iron is hot.

Has anyone else bought BP shares just on the off chance they make it through this...after all the 4th Largest company in the world.

Just wait for the next big piece of bad news somewhere in the world and this will be old news. I'm sure that something is being concocted while everyones eyes are averted to the oil crisis!

Im not sure certain people are going to let this company collapse. Not yet!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I am completely serious. The sequence may be out of step, but check it out. If we use moabs to create relief wells THEN bond the leaks that is something. What do mean sarcastic. This is a f*n disaster man.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nemesisvisionary1

Its cool if you are being serious because Yes this disaster is very serious. The real issue it is bringing isnt visible to us yet but it certainly will be. The problem is that if you are going to cryofreeze moisture in the cracks then first off you have to completely seal that crack in order to do such because you would then be doing the cryofreeze from a base of water, not gas. They cant even do what they are trying to do, I wouldnt trust them to be able to pull off that type of pressurization work.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
essentially as you say deal w the pressure first then fix it. The relief wells could be carved out instantly, then channel the pressure towards it. Also sealing the cracks could be done a lot of different ways. And I am asking for input on it so instead of trying to dis it help fix it I say. Beats watching the planet turn black.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Anyone calling this "An Oil spill" should look at whats happened again. This is NOT an Oil Spill, it's a Non-Stop, High Pressure Hole which is Hosing out Oil at Tremendous Pressure.

BP have used their "tried and tested" method of stopping it, and guess what?....IT DID NOT WORK!

We've seen BP change their minds several times about the actual amount of Oil Rushing into the Gulf. It has gone from something like 42,000 Gallons per day upto estimates over 2.52 MILLION GALLONSper day!!!

This is not normal, and no amount of Natural Oil Seepage in the World has ever occurred at such a Volume, at such a pressure, in such a time frame.

Ecosystems deal with natural seepage because they have adapted to deal with small amounts of oil over time, not anything on this scale.

This leak is HUGE, and BP and struggling. It's close to the Gulf Stream, one of the most important Ocean Currents on Earth. The Gulf Stream keeps much of Western Europe around 5 Degrees Celsius Warmer than Eastern Europe and the last time the Gulf Stream Failed it cased a mini ice age 800 yrs ago.

It could easily happen again. And just because Western Europe is not in the USA, does not mean this could be HUGE deal for mankind.

g

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join