It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.4 Earthquake just occured near Papua, Indonesia. Multiple Big Quakes.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
This thread is wild, or at it seems that way to me, to the people who know what they are talking about , all of these quakes that just happend and the 7.0..is this more than usual ?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
And another:

MAP 4.8 2010/06/16 06:20:24 -1.873 136.226 35.0 BIAK REGION, INDONESIA

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gak730

It's all good. The earth is
just a bit restless this week. PMT maybe?

Seriously though. My opinion is that there are more than normal, and the news link I posted said it was felt in Darwin and apparently that IS unusual, but they are always detecting quakes in the Banda Sea.

MM

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

All 'international' quakes above 4.5 are measured by USGS in Mw (Moment of Magnitude) pretty much without exception.

'Locally' quakes use the Richter scale (ML). Some countries report numerous or all quakes in Richter, whereas for example Indonesia tend to report in Mw as far as I can see. You may also see reports as Mb (Moment of body magnitude)

The Mercalli scale as you say measures the effect 'on the ground' so to speak and actually has no (direct) connection to the magnitude of the quake. MMI is very much a consequence of terrain and geological structure and these features can magnify or diminish the effect considerably. These (S waves) Rayleigh and Love waves (the more destructive of the two) are much worse than the body waves (P waves) which really are non-destructive and are the precursors of the following destruction.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Every time I hear of a big earthquake anywhere on that archipelago I think of Toba and it's huge supervolcano. Nobody seems to know for sure how close it is to another eruption, there are conflicting opinions, but the sheer amount of seismic activity in that region makes me nervous.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for that additional information on the different measurement scales. It was late, I was tired, and couldn't focus enough to explain it clearly..

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Take a moment and review this post..
Somewhats add to the over all picture,
I suspect more to come!

Odd Earthquakes

www.iris.edu...

Damn, allot of movement going on here!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jessemole

Yeah. That entire Indonesian circle has been really active in the last 10 days. Just across Indonesia from last nights episode was the 7.5 from a couple days earlier.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Look out for a big quake in either Santa Cruz Cali or Baja. Most likely Baja but with all the shaking that has been going on their it seems to be relieving its stress in a good way instead of one big bang.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Alaska's looking lively, too....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
6.6 just popped up inland of where earlier todays quake hit. Shallower too and the USGS predicted shakemap doesn't look that great for any structured buildings near to Nabire.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I see nothing coming through for 6.6... there was a 6.6 yesterday but nothing today

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Oops my bad, scrap that then, I just noticed the date on the USGS Email. For some reason it was still in my inbox and I assumed it was a new shock.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join