It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.4 Earthquake just occured near Papua, Indonesia. Multiple Big Quakes.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
They've just added a smaller, 5.1, in for Papua too...

MAP 6.3 2010/06/16 03:58:12 -2.560 136.520 33.0 NEAR THE NORTH COAST OF PAPUA, INDONESIA
MAP 5.1 2010/06/16 03:56:08 51.706 -173.784 7.3 ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS., ALASKA
MAP 5.1 2010/06/16 03:38:22 -2.415 136.771 60.1 NEAR THE NORTH COAST OF PAPUA, INDONESIA
MAP 5.0 2010/06/16 03:33:59 58.327 -139.040 10.0 OFF THE COAST OF SOUTHEASTERN ALASKA
MAP 7.0 2010/06/16 03:16:30 -2.141 136.460 28.8 NEAR THE NORTH COAST OF PAPUA, INDONESIA
MAP 2.6 2010/06/16 03:14:51 32.714 -115.976 3.5 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
MAP 6.4 2010/06/16 03:06:05 -2.450 136.497 25.1 NEAR THE NORTH COAST OF PAPUA, INDONESIA

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I've seen them change the mag at earthquake.usgs.gov. I looked at it and saw 7.2 then looked later and saw 7.0 on the same quake.

ok

Thanks

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Revision of quakes isn't new - it goes on all the time. This is particularly evident during weekends they have skeleton staff monitoring the seismo's - often you'll see quakes revised after being reviewed on Monday morning

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I seem to remember an earthquake thread a while back,where someone said that at some point(i really can't remember dates or anything,sorry),the way the earthquakes are graded was changed....ie 7.5 today used to be an 8.5
Can anyone clarify that for me,because i can never understand why when we talk about the 9 pointers that have come before on EQ threads,this change in the grading is never taken into account when comparing to todays EQ's

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
This may seem like a weird question, but do you think the sun has something to do with all these earthquakes? I mean it is approaching it's peak sun cycles. Not my opinion just a question.

Are you familiar with the ring of fire?

If not, google it and you will understand that the edges of the pacific rim are where several tectonic plates are moving against each other. The ring of fire is where almost 90% of earthquakes and volcanic activity occur. The sun doesnt have anything to do with it

Uh, how does the fact that the tectonic plates rub against each other, causing these earthquakes, in any way disprove the notion that the first cause may come from solar activity?

It doesn't. It's not as easy as A causes B, therefore, A just is. What caused A? and what caused that, and what caused that, and what caused that ? . ? . ? . . when you get to the root, you gotta intuitively understand that the earth is only "alive" because of our Sun. Jebus, even kids know this stuff. The sun has a whole lot of mass and energy, even if it's quite far away. To discount the possibility that the two are linked in ways currently unknown is foolish, imo.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
So it is 4 earthquakes?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

AKARTA, Indonesia - Four strong earthquakes struck the same region of eastern Indonesia early Wednesday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The first magnitude 6.4 quake was followed by a 7.0 shaker. An hour later, a 5.1 magnitude temblor hit, followed 20 minutes later by a 6.2 rocker.

Are these the aftershocks or is there something else going on here?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLily

Today they use the Richter Scale, which is the more common scale and the one that most people recognize. There are several different forms of the Richter scale, because in limitations in recording waves over distances. But they are all based on the scale developed by Charles Richter.

There is another scale that is in use in the US right now too, that is called the Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale which is based more on the earthquakes affect on the earth. This includes building and whether it was even felt by people or not. This is often a better indicator of actual intensity on scene and is more for non geologists, as an easier way to explain what occurred.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by talisman

Yes. A 7.0, a 6.2 a 5.1 and a 6.4. here are the individual ID's:
us2010xpav
us2010xpag
us2010xpat
us2010xpai

They have all occurred within the last 90 minutes. The 5.1 and 6.4 were before the 7.0 and the 6.2 was an aftershock.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Thanks for the info webpirate,but i'm talking about a fairly recent 'downgrading' if you will....where an earthquake that peaks at say 7.0,would have infact been an 8.0 up until they changed it?....Am i imagining things?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
this is huge.. haiti was a 7.0

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Uh, how does the fact that the tectonic plates rub against each other, causing these earthquakes, in any way disprove the notion that the first cause may come from solar activity?

Uh, where exactly was I trying to disprove his theory? Seeing as you brought up the topic though:

Earthquakes are caused by the movements of the earth's tectonic plates, and often occur where two plates are rubbing against each other

The sun and moon for that fact, do not create earthquakes. They may have a micro affect, by tugging faintly on the rock below the surface, but there is no correlation between sun activity and the occurence of earthquakes. Geologists have been studying that for a few years now, and although they found evidence of rock slippage, solar activity does not directly cause earthquakes

[edit on 15/6/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLily

Ahhh. I think your talking about the Moment magnitude scale. This scale is more for the higher end quakes. The mid intensity ones will closely equal the Richter scale. There still isn't a huge difference, but if you go here it will tell you more about it, and it does have a comparison chart at the bottom for some of the larger quakes in Cali between the Moment and Richter scales.

lol...Be advised..there's a lot of math on that page!!!

If you notice the actual info on the quakes I posted it shows at the bottom it is using the Moment Scale to measure those quakes.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Can somone call PHAGE on his red phone line and ask him if its time to panic yet?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Math.....oh how i love Math

Thanks webpirate,much appreciated

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLily

NP. The moment scale is based off of the Richter scale...it;s just a more modern version of it.

Yeah..I'm not a big fan of math either..

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Uh, where exactly was I trying to disprove his theory? Seeing as you brought up the topic though:

Earthquakes are caused by the movements of the earth's tectonic plates, and often occur where two plates are rubbing against each other

The sun and moon for that fact, do not create earthquakes. They may have a micro affect, by tugging faintly on the rock below the surface, but there is no correlation between sun activity and the occurence of earthquakes. Geologists have been studying that for a few years now, and although they found evidence of rock slippage, solar activity does not directly cause earthquakes

You most certainly did.

Here's what you wrote:

Originally posted by OzWeathermanAre you familiar with the ring of fire?

If not, google it and you will understand that the edges of the pacific rim are where several tectonic plates are moving against each other. The ring of fire is where almost 90% of earthquakes and volcanic activity occur. The sun doesnt have anything to do with it

The Earth has a liquid molten iron core. It could be thought of as an electron spinning around an atom (sun). The two are definitely linked. I'd suggest you not think on such a surface layer, as in without depth of thought, and also just dealing with the rocks on the crust. The interconnections go much deeper than that!

So what I'm saying as a possibility, is that fluctuations in solar activity may cause changes in the earths core, which over time may cause changes on the outer layers leading to various geophysical events such as earthquakes. This would be hard to prove or disprove, as the variables are many, and the ability to gather data on the core fluctuations is, to my understanding, not currently available with our current technology.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Can somone call PHAGE on his red phone line and ask him if its time to panic yet?

(star for you solarstorm!)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
this is huge.. haiti was a 7.0

Haiti was devastating because of poor infrastructure mainly. I don't think these are that 'huge' ring of fire sees many quakes of this scale yearly. They are prepped in what to do when they hit, but its a risk they take living in such an active zone.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Another in the same region as the Papua N.G. big ones earlier

MAP 4.9 2010/06/16 06:10:48 -1.927 136.382 35.0 BIAK REGION, INDONESIA

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

Apparently there are 2 dead and a few collapsed buildings.

Not so good.

MM

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join