It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists: Oil leaking up to 2.52 Million gallons daily

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

By RAY HENRY, Associated Press Writer

"NEW ORLEANS – Scientists provided a new estimate for the amount of oil gushing from the ruptured well in the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday that indicates it could be leaking up to 2.52 million gallons of crude a day.

A government panel of scientists said that the ruptured well is leaking between 1.47 million and 2.52 million gallons of oil daily. The figures move the government's worst-case estimates more in line with what an independent team had previously thought was the maximum size of the spill."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did Obama forget to mention this in his public address? As usual it's hard to tell if they are trying to make people panicked or they are just giving conflicting comments. Obama says sea food is safe to eat, even though it is being contaminated with 2.5 million gallons a day. At one point they said only 42,000 gallons were leaking.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
"As of Tuesday, the maximum amount of oil that has gushed out of the well since the April 20 explosion is 116 million gallons, according to the estimates by scientists advising the federal government."

And how many millions of gallons of corexit are they also putting in the ocean to clean this up? If this is millions of gallons of oil, won't they need millions of gallons of chemicals as well? I think they should just stop, I have a bad feeling that anything they do will make this worse or they are intentionally making this worse.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I didn't think my heart could sink any further till I read this headline.

This is truly despicable, regardless of whether it was an accident based on any kind of negligence or lack of preparation, it's still no less despicable and should be punished without mercy or restraint.

I'm serious. The age of the fossil fuel industries shall be OVER.

Here's the head demon of Exxon admitting with a suspicious confidence and lack of censorship that they would be similarly ill-equipped to deal with such an oil spill...

They just simply don't give a rats ass, they'll tell the entire world and not loose a wink of sleep over it because these severly UNregulated corporations OWN the most powerful government ever to exist, the government thtat's supposed to be OURS.

The oil industries are the kings of global evil, but the natural gas industry is playing catch-up courtesy of Halliburton's "fracking" technique...

www.splitestate.com...

www.gaslandthemovie.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This has gone from bad to worse to even more displays of political "beltway boogie".

55+ days into the crapper and we still can't seem to agree on how badly we are hosed or who is in charge.

The only thing we know for certain is that the average citizen will ultimately pay for it through increased costs to the consumer and increased government spending.

I wanted to add this source and expansion of background also:

Energy Secretary Steven Chu, a Nobel Prize-winning scientist, was personally involved in using those pressure readings to help make the latest calculation.

www.nytimes.com...

Somehow, having at least 2 Nobel prize winners working on a solution does not ease my anxiety.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I try to refrain myself from panicking, but I find it rather difficult. During the swine flu scare, while the media was blah blahing about pig flu, the alternative media was wondering if this would be "martial law" and who knows maybe our panic scared TPTB off. But this seems like it already is martial law in the GoM region. It appears staged considering the insider trading stocks, and there is the potential for catastrophic damage. I am really starting to think this is Obama's "9/11." Everyone is saying it is Obama's Katrina, but if you think about it, 9/11 happened one year into Bush's presidency, this is about 3 months shy of that mark, and while Bush is a "war" president, Obama is playing the "environmental" president. Same ordeal. In a short time, they will "need" to pass carbon legislation because of their own destruction to the world.

Let's say for a moment the "free market" handled this problem. Basically, private ships would clean up/loot the spilled oil. Free oil everyone! Okay, but that doesn't happen, because men with guns are patrolling the high seas. Living in the North East, I have no idea how bad things really are. But if I lived in that region and my house was about to get swamped, you better believe I'd do something about it. If enough people band together there isn't any amount of red tape that can hold them back.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Who's responsible ?

Not BP not Obama just WE ARE!!

All of us !!

Who drives cars, boats, planes and who likes to have it warm in the winter and cold in the summer!

WE DO !!!!!!!!!!

If you don't get this pfffffffff

Shell oil didn't DO any better then BP

zembla.vara.nl...[tt_news]=27169&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1972&cHash=1cfe036726#

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LynchBP

LOL

yes, we are responsible, lets everyone go to the woods

well, you cant, you will get arrested

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
reply to post by LynchBP

LOL

Exactly, some of these dirt worshipers want us back in the stone age...but wait, he'd have to burn wood to keep warm, oh noz, now what!? FAIL...

We are not responsible just because we want AC and want to drive places, this is a fallacy of modern environmentalism...like white guilt, we are taught enviro-guilt from a young age. It is the fault of energy companies oppressing us with old technologies and limiting the market for new competing technologies. We could have had less fossil fuels and more solar/wind decades ago...how is it our fault that green energy has never come to fruition?

Going back to the OP, I read this same article and I just cannot explain my anger, as many other posters have mentioned. This is the worst environmental disaster in history and almost 2 months later jack shizzle has been done about it. We are going to end up paying for it anyways right? How about the government cut back on it's billion [trillion] dollar war and use some of that cash to clean this up!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

Let me get this straight :
Tuesday CNN - oil spill estimate = 2.5 million gallons per day
Wednesday CNN - oil spill estimate = 60,000 gallons per day

I'm gonna stop looking at CNN, period!

mclinking

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking

Let me get this straight :
Tuesday CNN - oil spill estimate = 2.5 million gallons per day
Wednesday CNN - oil spill estimate = 60,000 gallons per day

I'm gonna stop looking at CNN, period!

mclinking

That would be 60,000 BARRELS a day www.cnn.com...
Off the top of my head, a barrel of oil is like 42 gallons, which is approx 2.52 million gallons per day
I've made the same mistake, it gets confusing

[edit on 6/17/2010 by AnonymousMoose]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mclinking

You're making the same mistake as most other people.

42 gallons in a barrel.

I trust people can make the connection for their selves without me having to point it out . . .

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

reply to post by LynchBP

LOL

This is the exact thing I've been thinking for a long, long time.

You have to own the land you live on, or rent it, or in some way pay for it.

If you want to build a home on that land. That you paid for and own. You have to get permission.

Seriously?

I would go camping forever if I could. I would hunt my own meat and grow my own veggies.

That would be illegal. I would be fined, and eventually arrested.

Then I would have to live by eating out of other peoples trash, and finding hiding spots to live.

I'm sorry... but wtf?

Why are we born onto a planet, and then have to pay to live on it?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by draevin

reply to post by LynchBP

LOL

This is the exact thing I've been thinking for a long, long time.

You have to own the land you live on, or rent it, or in some way pay for it.

If you want to build a home on that land. That you paid for and own. You have to get permission.

Seriously?

Pay for land...pay property tax every year you are alive for said land...make sure zoned for residential usage...get environmental impact reports...apply for permits...get permits but must hire licensed contractors...get inspections...PG&E and I am sure other energy companies won't let you be off the grid, even with solar you must tie into their grid...want to change anything else? get permission and permits...live in a neighborhood with a charter? get permission from neighborhood to even paint your house, get fined for not mowing your lawn on time or leaving the garage door open...get parking tickets for being on the curb too long or the back end of your car hanging slightly over the sidewalk...

And we fought for independence over a few measly taxes?

[edit on 6/17/2010 by AnonymousMoose]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Aaah! Ta very much. But is BP promising to pick up 50,000 gallons or barrels? Since Haywood's recent assurance of the spill being 'negligible', I'm sure he's lying again.

mclinking

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

No need to get snotty! You saying 'most', meaning everyone's an asshole, 'cept you! Anyways, you was beaten to it by my polite friend, AnonymousMoose.

mclinking

new topics

top topics

join