It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alzheimer's Victim Lands In Jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This one defies words.. But I am sure you all will come up with something, or not

Original news source:

CBSNEWS.com

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., June 11, 2004

Alzheimer's-stricken man who violated a judge's instructions to stop driving was jailed for two days before he was ordered transferred Friday to a secure nursing home.

Albert Brenner, 75, thinks he has a job as a traveling salesman peddling 1970s-era rotary telephones, his lawyer said.

On Wednesday, Judge Geoffrey D. Cohen ordered Brenner held at a state mental hospital for criminals until his mental health could be "restored" and he can stand trial on battery charges. Cohen said the elderly man posed a danger to the public and himself by insisting on driving.

Brenner was put in the Broward County Jail while waiting for space to open up at the mental hospital.

Please visit the above original source link for the full report.

Alzheimer's-stricken man and dirving? YIKES!

I can't help but remember that 80 year old man who plowed through that crowded street in California in the recent past killing several and hurting many more because he was confused and hit the gas not the break peddel.

One side of me feels very sorry for this man. The other is shocked that someone with this condition could have access to a car.

Gazz

[edit on 11-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
At least he's not from England. I could see that having a messy ending lol.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Ok. Sad story but why didn't his keys get taken away?

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
"Albert Brenner, 75, thinks he has a job as a traveling salesman peddling 1970s-era rotary telephones, his lawyer said."

you are right it is not funny. and point well taken.. Now do people with this condition really in mind go back in time?

It just seems very strange to me I can't understand how that is possible.

Gazz

[edit on 12-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Its a really nasty illness. I mean couldn't this person at least forgotten they had a car? Or forgotten where the keys were? Heck I do the key thing all the time and im somewhat normal. lol.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
How horrible to put a man with a disease like this in jail like a criminal. Why not let him stay with a family member, or stay home, simply without his car? At least until there becomes an open spot in the mental facility.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I'm thinking there are one or two people on this thread who have never had any experience or knowledge of the hell that happens to a person with Alzheimers.

That's what I'm thinking.

But for the grace of God guys...there goes you.

I find nothing funny about this. And I think the state has done the right thing seeing that there is apparently no family to help this man. I hope he does not have to stay in jail very long before being placed in a nursing home.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Actually Vall my wife's grandmother had it. It was weird. She'd start speaking a foreign language out of the blue. Something she knew as a kid. So I have had some experience with it. Not alot. But some. Actually what was bad is that this woman was basically forgotten (in my opinion).

But on the car thing. Jail is stupid. I mean when is the judge going to be responsible for even allowing that person to get back into the situation to drive again. I don't think the judge did his/her homework on the case.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't think the judge had a choice, apparently the man had no family, no one to watch him. While jail was probably a last resort. Alzhiemers is a horrible disease, those that have family to care for them are luckey, the family however is not, as it progresses mothers don't reconize daughters,husbands don't know who thier wives are. They can get violent, it's very sad, I don't wish this disease on anyone.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Valhall,
You're absolutely right - there is nothing funny in this thread at all!! I think it's pathetic that someone who serves our society as a judge could be as f** stupid and insensitive as to put this man in jail. Maybe it's time to get this bozos email and let him know what we think. There were many other alternatives to keep this man from behind a wheel other than jail.

new topics

top topics

join