It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US committee says gay blood ban will stay in place

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

How do they know heterosexual blood donors are free of HIV? Take their word for it? I'm not missing the point, I think you are missing mine.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by empireofpain

There is even gay clubs with large bowls of condoms for free.

....You have a problem with a gay club giving away condoms for free, which, by the way, I know many colleges, hospitals and non-gay clubs that do as well......I mean, you're aware what a condom does right? And that this is a topic about HIV and AIDS? And generally, the usage of a condom prevents said afflictions?

I'm sorry, I really need to ask and I don't care when the mod comes to edit this; are you mentally challenged or just a #ing idiot?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2

OK, well as a gay man I can talk with a little bit of knowlege on this matter, and the first think i have to put right is the false belief that homosexuals are at a higher risk of HIV infection, its plain and simply just not true, my biological make up is the same as a straight man, we are equally suseptable to HIV/AIDS.

But the stats posted above and elsewhere show that the hetero man is less likely to have come in contact with another HIV carrier. This alone invalidates your premise, which basically only says that if you inject the virus into a gay and a straight man, both are equally likely to develop the disease. It's the lifestyle that makes the difference. And so how is each blood bank supposed to determine lifestyle? They can't, pure and simple.

The final thing i'd like to set straight is the fact that HIV infections occur more in straight people than homosexuals, and do you know why...... anyone who had attended a gay pride, or a gay club will know, that the gay community actively educates people on safe sex, every chance people get, free condoms in toilets, available information to everyone, thats the key to reducing the infection rate.

History does not agree, or why did HIV spread like wildfire through the gay communities? You can make all the free education and condoms you want available, but if no one uses them?

The blood thing is just the straight elitists that we have in our governments, its getting better, but not fast enough.

Sorry, but YOU'RE the one sounding like the elitist just trying to put the blame on others, and using poor logic and stats to try and do it.

sorry if any of that seemed like a rant, I am just very passionate about the wrong information about homosexual infection risks and rates.

Next time instead of passion, try reason and research ...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Do they test the heterosexual blood for HIV? If so, could they not simply test the homosexual blood just the same? If they don't test the hetero blood, then there is zero safety....

Can agree with you here.

I know one thing is certain, if one is lying there bleeding to death, would they really care whether their blood came from gay/straight individuals? I doubt it.

Yes, what to do? Die now or risk dying a perhaps a more horrible death later AND risking passing the infection to to others?

Also, what's to stop a homosexual from donating blood as a heterosexual?

Are you suggesting gays would have to give up all their hard earned gains and go back in the closet just to donate blood?

This whole blood donation thing seems silly to me. Someone somewhere is simply afraid that gay blood may turn them

[edit on 13-8-2010 by Aggie Man]

No one anywhere has mentioned that as a reason - except you.

And how about cutting out the name calling? It only makes YOU look bad and invites other members to push the Alert button on your posts, which will get them deleted.

If you put thought and energy in to writing them, I assume you'd like them to be here for others to read.

[edit on 8/13/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

No one else mentioned it; however, that does not invalidate my observation. If they test blood for HIV, then why ban blood from homosexuals? it's tested either way, right? So why the ban? Seems like a logical conclusion to draw, especially given the homophobia many people have.

Name calling? Did I single out a particular individual? What's to report? Saying, generically, that some homophobes within the FDA may be responsible for the banning of blood donations from homosexuals is hardly calling names; however, if I hurt your feelings (or the feeling of anyone else) then I am sincerely regretful. I don't see it though....so I digress.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Name calling?

Sorry. It's late on a Friday.

That was actually meant for SpectreDC ...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Name calling?

Sorry. It's late on a Friday.

That was actually meant for SpectreDC ...

No worries...it's beer:30 here on a Friday too

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
So what!!!

I have Sarcoidosis(autoimmune disease) and do to the above normal number of people in the medical field with sarcoidosis there is believed to be a infectus route of transmission.

I am banned from giving blood and would not as no one wants sarcoidosis.

There are a lot of disorders that can not or should not give blood.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
No one is talking about my observation about condoms being useful in stopping sperm, however a virus is hundreds if not thousands of times smaller. I am rather surprised there are not more STD deadly viruses out there. (There are probably more we don't know about yet.)
What say you?

<< 1  2   >>

join