It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US committee says gay blood ban will stay in place

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by la2

I'm sorry that is not true... vaginal sex is far more safe as far as blood transfer goes
you can go to any medical journal and they well tell you the same thing...
it's just a fact... I'm not saying there is not a risk with both of infection...
but A sex comes with the greater risk.

la2

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Exactly, its like i said, it all comes down to a lack of education. If you dont educate people about just sex ingeneral, including anal sex, gay sex, oral sex, all of which by the way carry a HIV risk, my cousin is HIV positive caught from oral sex.

I never mind talking openly about it if it challenges some of the myths and false information people believe are fact.

la2

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Target Earth

has anyone else noticed that condoms and safe sex has not been mentioned by anyone except for me.

the only safe sex is no sex.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by la2

I agree... as much as I like arguing about the specifics of fluid transfer just use condoms

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2
OK, well as a gay man I can talk with a little bit of knowlege on this matter, and the first think i have to put right is the false belief that homosexuals are at a higher risk of HIV infection, its plain and simply just not true, my biological make up is the same as a straight man, we are equally suseptable to HIV/AIDS.

I am not trying to change the topic here but just continuing a mature debate.

When you say you have the same biological makeup do you mean to infer that you therefore disagree with a large number of homosexuals who say they were "born different" and that being gay was not a choice?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2
has anyone else noticed that condoms and safe sex has not been mentioned by anyone except for me.

the only safe sex is no sex.

I've never used condoms in my life

I am not promiscuous and I don't have the virus

yes... it's THAT simple!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Update:
FDA upholds ban on gay blood donors
www.deseretnews.com...

It seems the FDA are good for something after all
Now if it would go beyond just this and ban Aspartame too that would be great!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Do they test the heterosexual blood for HIV? If so, could they not simply test the homosexual blood just the same? If they don't test the hetero blood, then there is zero safety....

I know one thing is certain, if one is lying there bleeding to death, would they really care whether their blood came from gay/straight individuals? I doubt it.

Also, what's to stop a homosexual from donating blood as a heterosexual?

This whole blood donation thing seems silly to me. Someone somewhere is simply afraid that gay blood may turn them

[edit on 13-8-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Condoms are made to stop sperms cells from getting through. When you consider how small a virus is compared to a sperm cell, that's a pretty big portal for a virus. People can get genital warts, herpes, etc. even if using condoms. I stopped my risky (female) behaviors when herpes came out because it was the first incurable STD.

If people can't control themselves (which they can) then every possible means should be taken to prevent transmission. And I don't mean condoms because like I said earlier, Condoms are made to prevent sperm cells not viruses that are a million times smaller.

[edit on 8132010 by Starbug3MY]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
This whole blood donation thing seems silly to me. Someone somewhere is simply afraid that gay blood may turn them

Nah, i'm pretty sure it's this dude:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a1753e5ee5b.jpg[/atsimg]

AIDS is SCARY!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Of course AIDS is scary. Still, I wonder....do they test the Heterosexual blood for AIDS? Heteros are not immune to HIV ya know. AND, if they test the hetero blood, can they not test the homo blood? So, again, I still believe it's a homophobe somewhere within the FDA that is afraid that homosexual blood may turn him.

I am entitled to my opinion, no?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This is ridiculous blood is blood your not going to turn gay from gay blood really that's what its about. If its because of anal, well what about women who have done anal does that mean they can't give blood or men who do have anal with women? the blood is being screened anyways whats wrong if it comes from a gay man. Really Grow up people. Their blood is just like yours, we are all human.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I think "they" fear giving gays to much equality at one time.

Don't what to upset the anti-gays - - - anymore then necessary.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
First off, can we stop calling it "gay blood" blood has no sexual preference it's just blood.

Secondly, if they test the blood after someone has donated then what does it matter whether it's from a gay person, straight person or a bi person ?

If they don't test the blood, then disallowing gay people from donating is the least of our worries.

Personally I think if they've got good blood then they should be able to donate as too few donate already!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Of course you won't turn gay because of gay blood. But if I had a choice between good blood and infected blood, I would rather die than receive gay blood. What I did not say in my original post about the risks associated with condoms, why are there 100's of STDs now? When I became of age there were like 4 or 5. And they were curable! But Herpes changed all that because it was the first STD that had NO CURE or treatment.

All sorts of viruses take advantage of un-natural behaviour to infect. Don't even try to tell me otherwise!!

[edit on 1382010 by Starbug3MY]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starbug3MY
I had a choice between good blood and infected blood, I would rather die than receive gay blood.

What? Already making the assumption up-front that gay blood is infected? Stereotype much?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Yes I am saying that. Because gay men fool around a lot more than heterosexual men. Their sex activity could be extremely dangerous because they are more likely to sodomize with 100's of men and a lot of it is anonymous. They lust after each other more than heterosexuals.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
From your chart, it appears that most HIV infection occurs through male to male sexual contact, iv drug use or a combination of the two.

The other category is "high risk sexual contact." I assume this means hookers.

So, if you don't use hookers, have male to male sexual contact and don't use iv drugs... most likely your blood does not have HIV.

Yes, it should still be screened but I don't see a problem with the continuation of the ban.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
By allowing the ban to stay in place they have taken a big step towards eliminating HIV risk from entering the blood pool.

Blood is still tested before it is used.

In my area, donors are asked a rather lengthily list of questions, a number of which deal with your sex life. You can not donate if you don't answer the questions correctly.

It's all an attempt to keep out any source of contamination in the blood pool. They also ask a lot of questions about countries you've visited and diseases that you may have had.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I still believe it's a homophobe somewhere within the FDA that is afraid that homosexual blood may turn him.

Originally posted by Xiamara
This is ridiculous blood is blood your not going to turn gay from gay blood really that's what its about.
Grow up people. Their blood is just like yours, we are all human.

Originally posted by Annee
I think "they" fear giving gays to much equality at one time.

Don't what to upset the anti-gays - - - anymore then necessary.

Isn't amazing how some people refuse to stay on topic in a topic in which they DO NOT WANT to stay on topic?

This isn't about the fear of being turned gay, it's about high rates of aids amongst gays.

You guys want to turn this into an emotional thread forcing everybody to either be politically correct or throw them on the other side of the fence and you on your righteous one, and then turn around and hypocritically call conservatives righteous fools.

Seriously, all of your aims are quite visible and I see right through them.
You have all forfeited this debate already by trying to turn this into a homophobic vs. "open-minded" debate and then the thread only become an anti-homophobia thread.

Guys sometimes I actually watch the news, I see people use this trick all the time, please find something new.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join