It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobs are Killing America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Thanks....I totally get this and haven't set foot in a WalMart since I was a kid and realized that LIED about selling only American. Later they sold Americans. Out.

I honestly don't get why anyone shops there anymore. On average they're really not less expensive anymore...that little game, along with the "we sell only American" game is long over too. Aside from a few items they keep priced low to lure people in. Aside from forcing out the smaller businesses, which they've pretty much all but ahiilated, they also continue to play a lot of other games with other people's businesses, i.e. their suppliers, Unfortunately, as you say, in many places there isn't a choice anymore other than that place, either buy from or work for.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

In many fields, especially those that will make up the 21st century high tech and high skilled economy, being an entrepreneur is not necessarily a viable option for all workers. For example, a young engineer is not going to feasibly be able to start up his own business because he will not have access to large amounts of capital or people with expertise. A young engineer will have to work for someone else for a few years and learn his industry's ropes before he could feasibly branch off on his own.

Venture capitalists continue to expand in the new millennium, putting $26 billion into the economy last year alone:

In 2010, growth in venture capital investment was driven by capital commitments outside of the Information Technology (IT) and Healthcare industries, which are traditionally venture capitalists’ comfort zones. Throughout the year, 2,799 venture deals raised $26.2 billion, a six per cent increase in deals and an 11 per cent increase in capital invested over 2009, when 2636 deals raised $23.6 billion, according to Dow Jones VentureSource.

While many inventors began as engineers working for someone else - and Henry Ford would be just one famous example of an engineer who began working for someone else, (Edison Illuminating Company, in fact)- an engineer is not duty bound to work for someone else in order to be an inventor of import. This is not to say that all engineers should eschew jobs in favor of striking up their own businesses from the get go, but a bright engineer need not work for someone else first in order to be a bright engineer.

<< 1   >>

join