It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill By Far Biggest Control Burn In History -pics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't know about this method of burning the oil. The amount of soot going into the atmosphere is quite significant as shown by these screen grabs I took from a CBS report.

A significant rainstorm consisting of this soot would be basically acid rain.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3343c2575bf3.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7bdbbba9ddb1.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/078a45731322.jpg[/atsimg]

Here's the source: www.cbsnews.com...

[edit on 15-6-2010 by OurskiesRpoisoned]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
These controlled burns are still nothing compared to the air pollution generated by the Kuwaiti oil fires at the end of the 1991 Gulf War.

psychsurvivor2.files.wordpress.com...

Check out just this one photo.
It doesn't show barely anything either, as there were hundreds of fires.

It was not exactly a "controlled burn" though. It was intentional yes, but it was used as a war tactic.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well so much for that "Yearly Carbon Allotment".

This is going to pump so much crap into the air it's not funny.

I suppose it may be a necessary sacrifice to preserve the gulf's once abundant sea life.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

And what about long-term health risks. This is where the real disaster will occur. If a lot of rumors about levels of toxicity are true, then there could be lasting damage for years to come.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
These controlled burns are still nothing compared to the air pollution generated by the Kuwaiti oil fires at the end of the 1991 Gulf War.

psychsurvivor2.files.wordpress.com...

Check out just this one photo.
It doesn't show barely anything either, as there were hundreds of fires.

It was not exactly a "controlled burn" though. It was intentional yes, but it was used as a war tactic.

I know, I was in the area. Who knows how many people got sick, and are still sick from the Desert Storm oil shield.

Notice how black the sand were? That's all just going into the water, instead.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Those long term health risks (for the most part) exist with or without an oil burn off. That my friend is an unfortunate truth.

Something has to be done. This is not a good idea but at least it's something.

We can't just rely on fancy paper towels to clean up this mess (wtf was BP thinking there anyway?).

[edit on 15-6-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The sad state of all of this is that oil is poisonous in any form, that they are willing to make it airborne, shows a total lack of concern to all of us. Just where do they think it will go?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

They say they can burn up to 2000 gallons an hour.

It's like killing an ant to move an antpile.

The problem is, burning a gallon of oil can pollute hundreds of square miles of atmosphere. As if our atmosphere isn't pollute enough.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I thought what we see burning is the methane and natural gas that's coming out of the well? Could be wrong but I know that I read that they were burning off the gas...not the oil though, right?

If this is the case, I had no idea this was being used as a tactic to remove the oil. Would seem like a terrible form of pollution to add to this nightmare.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PersonalChoice

From BP webcam side

For the first 12 hours on June 16 (midnight to noon), approximately 7,040 barrels of oil were collected and approximately 1,250 barrels of oil and 17.8 million cubic feet of natural gas were flared.

Nid

new topics

top topics

join