It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden evacuates Rig for potential blowout.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well, on top of the problems escalating in our own Gulf, there is now another potential blowout brewing off the shores of Sweden. If it happens, then they will have their own gusher to deal with.

www.globalresearch.ca...

And from this report, this is the thrid violation/incident in that area. If one cares to research, you can find violation after violation after violation in every oil company known. Profit is their ONLY goal, even if it creates disasters. Isn't it about time we rethink our dependency on oil? Oil companies are complacent and oblivious to real humanitarian issues. The time has come for us to diverge from the oil barons and international bankers. If we create much less demand for oil, then they will have very little reason to sink more wells. We can beat them at their 'supply and demand' game.
I'm not trying to alarm anyone with a new gusher scare. Just trying to expand our rationale on the need to greatly reduce fossil fuel dependency.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
We could be weaned off fossil fuels...IF big oil with their power and wealth ends the manipulations of the masses through dependency on them.

They buy off govt officials, coopt science establishments with funding, coopt manufacturers to use oil for their production processes, hinder research to alternative fuel,etc, all in the name of greed, and there is NOTHING the small guy can do except to be slaves to them.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
frim the op newspiece

Three critical events For the third time in five months, a critical event has occurred in Statoil’s well 34/10-C-6 on Gullfaks, during drilling of a side track. The last event occured this Wednesday afternoon, at 3.47 pm, when the well was destabilized. Statoil immediately began efforts to establish pressure control on Gullfaks C. But all efforts toward stabilizing the well with heavy mud have so far been unsuccessful. The well is still unstable, and the pressure still not under control. Currently the Blowout Preventer (BOP) is the only safety barrier.

and

the drillstring is stuck in the well.

if the drill string is stuck in the well
does the blow out preventer (BOP) stil work ??

i.e. if i imagine a valve with a piece of pipe inside of it
to me the valve won't close
any ideas?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Now let me start.

Have we learnt anything from the horizon? If so maybe this time set up preventative measures now perhaps? "Incase" of another fugging mess?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm not suprised another one has gone off,

Maybe another will go off soon as well.

i agree time to move on from fossil fuels

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
What is this, lolrig month.

For gawds sake, I don't know wether to laugh or cry, I truly don't.

Another vote for "drop fossil fuels like it's hot"

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Good replies so far. I'm asking myself the same questions. I've been poking around the net, and finding out that having so many fossil fuel dependent problems is becoming a major crutch for our modern world. Even though many of the rig problems have only minor problems, it only takes one 'oops' to bring them minor problems to the forefront.
Much of the oil related problems we are having are manipulated by 3 major players: oil companies, banks, and car manufacturers. I find it apalling that the Model T Ford had about 20mpg, and through all this cutting edge technology, we are still close to that same rating. On top of that, many energy/oil companies own patents on batteries. This is why the hybrid never took off. The fossil free automobile is simply a huge conglomeration of supressed technologies.
100mpg carbs, hydrogen injection, etc. We have the ingenuity to already do this. I say it's time to start... with or without government permission.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Of course unless one takes the time to discover how our civilization is underpinned with the idea of cheap energy aka oil/gas one will not be able to come to terms with the push from elected officials/shareholders to find, develop and produce cheap energy.

Energy is king and that is fact. So we will continue to drill.imo

Of course one could argue that humans are in fact as a collective in charge. If so, then humans trump energy, and then the very guilt of catastrophe like the gulf falls on all of us as a species.

At this particular point in time we humans have access to more information concerning each other then at any other known point in our brief history.

This bare idea coupled with the collective ignorance as a species (myself included) that we still display arrogance over each others actions rather then our own inaction should begin to wake everybody up.

We all control our own future so if we all as a collective decide to kick the cheap oil habit then we simply will.

But until that moment of dissipative structure evolves into chaos in leau of the catalyst of cheap oil we all stand guilty.

(where the hell is my cold beer..I gotta go cut the lawn)

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sweden? Norway is not Sweden. And Sweden has no oil. This story is taking place in Norway. How did you happen to mix Sweden into this?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Two gas leaks were detected at Norway’s the Gullfaks C oil platform Wednesday afternoon, and the situation worsened Thursday when the well was destabilized due to a loss of formation pressure. Eighty nine people were evacuated from the platform. The well has suffered similar incidents, one as recenty as April 30th this year and again in December 23rd 2009.

“Three major events of this kind in less than five months proves that Statoil is not able to control this situation,” says President of the Bellona Foundation, Frederic Hauge.

Bellona has received new information that sheds some light over what actually happened on Gullfaks C, which is operated by the Norwegian state owned oil company Statoil. The situation remained unresolved Friday afternoon.

The discovery comes at a critical time when world media attention is focussed on events unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico after the BP-operated Deepwater Horizon well explodes on April 20th and oil is making landfall in Louisiana’s vulnerable marshes and bayous . BP officials there are finally admitting that the gusher at the sea floor is spilling significantly more than 5,000 barrels of oil a day. Meanwhile, BP has still not come up with an effective method to cap the well.
Three critical events

These are gas leaks...hopefully caught early and taken care of.

Maybe these Norwegians should teach us proper maintenance as they seem to have a good safety record.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Sweden? Norway is not Sweden. And Sweden has no oil. This story is taking place in Norway. How did you happen to mix Sweden into this?

lol...that made me spit beer..

And I did not even notice the title until after I read the article...lol

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I havent seen this posted yet
www.wral.com...

And what about the SWAT TEAMS going to the Gulf
QUOTE:[Earlier today, DHS Secretary Napolitano announced that this incident is of national significance and the Department of Interior has announced that they will be sending SWAT teams to the Gulf to inspect all platforms and rigs. And I have ordered the Secretaries of Interior and Homeland Security as well as Administrator Lisa Jackson of the Environmental Protection Agency to visit the site on Friday to ensure that BP and the entire U.S. government is doing everything possible, not just to respond to this incident, but also to determine its cause. And I've been in contact with all the governors of the states that may be affected by this accident.]
content.usatoday.com...

What about what he said that this is an ASSAULT on our COASTS ? (Why word it that way ?) ...............
abcnews.go.com...&tab=9482930§ion=1206853&playlist=10915168&page=1

Are we about to enter WORLD WAR 3 ????
What is REALLY GOING ON HERE >>>.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Simplynoone]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Nope. The guilt of using oil and the catastrophes that had been created cannot be placed upon mankind.

It had been TPTB that had force such use and reliance upon humanity. What could the small guy do in the face of big govt and powerful corporations that decides to use oil in its every manufacturing processes, from making a toothbrust to a space rocket?

The common masses had been happily using non fossilized fuels for centuries, till big Corporations discovered oil, promoted it heavily and made our reliance on it complete for decades.

Who is the guilty one - the one who points a gun at our heads telling us to use it or starve, or the one who have no choice but to conform?

Enough already of blaming the masses for the greed of the Corporation.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

My mistake. I got a few irons in the fire right now. Is there any way to update the title? I'm kinda new here

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

The question begs ..Who allowed who?...In remote farm communities electricity only came about in the 1950's. Cheap energy is only a generation or three old.
You are more then likely alive as a result of its marvels.

lol

Cheap energy heralded in a more productive way of life and we all as a species welcomed it with open arms.

This energy as well as fossil fuels allows for more food, which allows for more births, safer births, lower infant mortality.. which is why you are probably here...we are mammals and we instinctively will gravitate to more food, cheaper better food...and only recently because of cheap energy has this been allowed.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

fossil fuels are 'cheap' energy? LOL!

Used to be, but not anymore. You and I are here because of reproductive process, and not because of cheap energy, just as countless generations of mankind had came before us and lived without 'cheap' enegy.

Fossil fuels was but a technological advancement phase, and must progress beyond into alternative energies. But we are stuck today with fossil fuels because it was lucrative for TPTB, more lucrative than solar or other types of energy sources.

Perhaps only you allowed yourself to be blamed for the greed by the Corporation. But hell if i am gonna let them pin it anyone else.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

You want to know what? I was totally baffled until that reply thanks. How did no one else get this?
Thats a positive contribution in itself cheers.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by voorbereid

the drillstring is stuck in the well.

if the drill string is stuck in the well
does the blow out preventer (BOP) stil work ??

i.e. if i imagine a valve with a piece of pipe inside of it
to me the valve won't close
any ideas?

The rams in the BOP are designed to crush the drill string and everything else inside the riser pipe when it seals the well. So I imagine that shouldn't present a problem. As long as the BOP functions properly, which it should. BOPs don't usually fail as completely as in the Deepwater Horizon incident. They're designed with redundancies- they're not supposed to fail, ever!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

fossil fuels are 'cheap' energy? LOL!

Used to be, but not anymore. You and I are here because of reproductive process, and not because of cheap energy, just as countless generations of mankind had came before us and lived without 'cheap' enegy.

Fossil fuels was but a technological advancement phase, and must progress beyond into alternative energies. But we are stuck today with fossil fuels because it was lucrative for TPTB, more lucrative than solar or other types of energy sources.

Perhaps only you allowed yourself to be blamed for the greed by the Corporation. But hell if i am gonna let them pin it anyone else.

Simply follow the infant mortality rate along with the cheap energy graph and you will understand. Very simple.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Another 'statistics are truth' climategate type person. Do you want me to pull another data source to back up infant mortality rate that shows it is not dependent on 'cheap' energy or whatever you choosed to encouch your arguments in?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join