It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle officer punches girl in face during jaywalking stop

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

Please it has nothing to do with civil rights if that was the case you would have seen it in the 60s not the 80s. But believe what you want the Black culture has huge issues. And placaters like you do nothing to help you only hurt their cause.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I've read over the replies since my last post and think people have presented some valid reasons in defence of the cop. I will admit that unless you have been a cop, you probably do not understand the dangers that are present. On ATS, we often see videos of cops making mistakes and being aggressive. What we don't see is the every day situations where they encounter danger in seemingly innocent surroundings.

Dude I was a cab driver!

This is not vice we are talking about, this was not a special narcotics cop undercover. this guy was two steps from being a God Damned Meter Maid.

The only difference between a Cop and a cab driver is one of them get you home when he takes your money and the other is armed to the teeth and has all the laws in the world on his side. That's it.

And look at what this guy had to do to give a double-damned ticket.

I just get the feeling like there is an agenda on here by some members to demonise law enforcement officers to make them look power-hungry, brutal tyrants. Why? This creates distrust and a lack of respect for authority in general. Believe me, down the track that IS a bad thing. People shouldn't live in fear of law enforcement by any means, but they should be willing to show respect until they are given a reason not to.

Your right there is that agenda. That's my specific agenda because if a cop can't give a ticket to a girl with out arresting her and knocking the two front teeth out of her friend there is something wrong with the picture.

But there is another agenda on ATS not just that of mine. You have Law enforcement on ATS trying to desensitise the public to accept what you see in the video as normal. As something that ok for a cop to do.

These were not hard core street thugs man, it was a girl who crossed the street.

This scenario is just another case of somebody letting pride override common sense. Had the two women not resisted and gone against what was happening in a civilised manner, they would probably be sitting at a coffee shop laughing about the ordeal. Instead, pride overpowered common sense. I still don't agree with the way the cop handled the situation (there is plenty of room for improvement), but this is NOT a case of a cop using violence for kicks.

Well to me it was just a sign of very poor standards of police hiring.

The guy mad a complete mess out of that situation.

All he had to do was explain to the girl that if she did not sign the ticket he would have to place her under arrest. If she refused to sign after him explaining it to her that the reason people are asked to sign is as a promise to either pay as guilty or appear in Court and that if not signed she would be arrested and sent to jail until the day of court specified in the ticket.

After a little huffing and puffing the girl would have probably signed. if in case she did not he should have called for back up for the arrest since there were several people in the aria.

A ticket should not evolve into a huge boxing match like it did.

You reason with people and accept the fact that they will be angry of the extra cost of an infraction during these hard economic times and you don't just start treating them as if they were on PCP.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

F**kin American law enforcement, typical!!!

Remember people, the police are only public servants and that's all.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

they should have got struck more than once; did anyone not see the video i was seeing.

Oh here we go, we got Al Sharpton here ladies and gentleman saying it's ok to not only hit women but it's also OK for a meter maid to knock your clock out.

Some day Al, Some day blacks will realize you just don't care about them.....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by docjohnson9
reply to post by Izarith

F**kin American law enforcement, typical!!!

Remember people, the police are only public servants and that's all.

You want to know what is typical idiots who profile and then cry when it hurts their own cause. I hate cry babies.

Not all cops are bad most are good people.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory

I'm sorry but the video has no context, we don't get the see what was happening before all this, all we see at the very start is an incredibly angry woman having a go at the cop.

Now the cop may have been worried for his safety, i know in that situation i would have been but i do think the force was excessive. Cops i thought are supposed to have training in using force to restrain, the British police have extensive training in various holds nd pressure point techniques.

I think yes the force was excessive, but some force was required in the situation.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
im actually with the police officer here..more or less...

he was by himself...which is ridiculous but probably not his fault...the stupid woman was doing the best she could to make the situation worse...and he was getting nervous...he lost control for a second....

id like to see how id react in that situation..and id like to see how you guys who are slagging him off would react

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Originally posted by Unregistered
She shouldn't have resisted like that. It's a big no-no to resist arrest. Just cooperate.

Like the jews you mean when they were ordered in to the gas chambers? those who give up their liberty for freedom deserve neither. What happened to the friendly policeforce, why is there so much bravado and egotism nowadays?

Hey buddy, I just thought I would correct you on that quote from Ben Franklin. It actually goes something like this:

"Those who are willing to trade a little liberty for a little security, deserve neither and will lose both." --Benjamin Franklin

A little trivia on that quote. He actually didn't even say that, though that's what he meant. Over the years, writers have made his statement more *elegant and his actual words are lost to history.

--airspoon

Edited to add: Sorry, I have a "thing" for correcting quotes.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

id like to see how id react in that situation..and id like to see how you guys who are slagging him off would react

I would have honestly, no joke, probably would have crawed up into a little ball on the floor and started crying hisaricly like a little girl if that Fat girl would have pushed me like that.

Why? because I don't hit women. what else am I going to do in that situation?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
they broke the law ., and that last chick should be thrown jail for being "above the law" if not both.

altho i dont condone that fists where thrown , but this is a classic case of being above the law mentality .,

the double morale is that if the smallest minute laws can be broken then the more serious ones are to be to , meaning murder rape or such things ,

there is no middle ground , law is the law

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Not all cops are bad most are good people.

And the day i start seeing cops condemn the actions of their fellow officers when it is deserved is the day I stop lumping them into the same group.

But until that day comes I am forced to view them with the same card.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I have, I grew up in a large city and now live in the metro NYC area. It has no influence on my yearning for liberty.

Liberty?

I look at liberty as something that we should have, up until it impedes on the liberties of someone else. The minute that it impedes the liberty of someone else, it is initiating force and I don't agree with the initiation of force. That's liberty. I'm not saying that you can't respond with force, only that you shouldn't initiate it.

Exactly my point. As a taxpayer, registration payer, plate payer, I have more right to drive on a road than anyone does to walk across it in front of me. Jaywalking impedes the rights of drivers. I do not understand why anyone would have a problem with a law stopping them from impeding my lberty. Or do you believe you have more right to walk anywhere you like than I do to drive on roads I help pay for?

Children are one thing. Children are the responsibility of their parents and their parents should be held accountable for their children's actions. Also, children don't have the same liberties as adults because they are incapable of living up to the responsibilities that are a part of those liberties. Parents hold the liberties of their children until they are of a mature age to handle those liberties.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. We all know damn well that there are more than enough parents that would take the lack of jaywalking laws as permission to let their children play in traffic. As ATS has shown, some will encourage that in spite of laws just to express some misguided sense of liberty.

Children do have less rights so what do you suggest? Jaywalking laws apply to children, it is ok because they have less rights? Besides, I am not sure I really feel it is promoting my liberty to drive on a road when I have to do so at the risk of teaching some parent a lesson about how they should have been watching their kid. Why should their neglect impede my freedom to drive?

Your liberty seems rather one-sided.

The "children" argument is "apples to oranges".

Only if you propose a different set of laws for children and jaywalking then. Otherwise they count like anyone else crossing illegally.

Again, the teen argument is the same as above and should be the responsibility of their parents. Parents need to control their children. Other people shouldn't be micro-managed for the actions of someone else's children.

You are quite the one for cherry picking aren't you? I am not sure how many parents would like to take responsibility for their 19 or 24 year old who could not cross the street correctly. You did seem to both not understand what a teenager is and completely ignore me pointing out early 20s as well.

Who is talking about micro-managing? Cross at the friggin light!!!!! What is the big deal there?

As far as "twenty somethings", they too should be held accountable for their actions. You shouldn't force me to live a certain way because of the actions of others. Not only is this punishing before the *crime, but it is essentially the "state" saying that they know how to live my life better than me.

I get it. You have this empty line of ready made excuses that do not actually contribute to your point. Bottom line is I have freedoms too, no? I pay for the roads that are built and maintained for vehicles. Many roads prohibit pedestrians altogether. Know why? ROADS ARE FOR CARS. Your liberty to walk does not trump my liberty to drive when it comes to the middle of a road.

If someone causes a wreck, they should be held accountable. If we go along the lines of "preventing" accidents or safety, then we should also outlaw cars period. Don't people crash cars all of the time? Then why not outlaw them, for the safety of the people of course.

Asking that someone walk 50 feet before they cross leads you to believe cars should be banned? Are you serious?

I'm sorry but I know how to live my life just fine. I don't need a nanny state to do that for me. If I make a mistake somewhere, I'm perfectly fine with whatever the consequences may be. I don't need the government telling me what's safe or not.

Who is asking for a nanny state? I know how to live my life too. That is awesome for you. Unfortunately, the people walking out in front of me in the middle of traffic obviously do not. Since there are so many of them that are apparently too stupid to run their own lives, they need to be told how not to impede my liberty at the unnecesary risk to their own lives.

Furthermore, if it's for our own safety, then I don't see how violent cops are helping with that safety. I think we have more to fear with the police, than with getting struck by a vehicle crossing the street.

Obviosly you have never been hit by a car and punched in the face. I can assure you they are quite different on many levels. Besides, I did not see a violent cop, I saw a fight that was 2 on 1. She should have been accountable for herself. She touched someone she should not have. She used her liberty to reach out and he reacted. Now you want some nanny state to tell cops they cannot react when being attacked? Tsk tsk. I thought you said people should be held accountable. If so, she is. She got punched for being stupid. That is what you want, right?

We should be responsible for our own actions and those of our children. We need to get off of this whole reliance on the government. We are being indoctrinated to believe that government knows best and government should live our lives for us.

Right and if you cross in front of me, you should get hit. If your 4 year old gets out of view and wanders across the street, they should get hit. If you walk in front of me while I am moving in the middle of the road and I decide to stop but you take too long, I should just hit you. Hell, that is way better than having a crosswalk. Thought of being a city planner?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
dont do the crime if you cant do the time, simple as that

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory

I'd really like to see more effective resistence in cases like this. Less random screaming, and someone person walking up to the officer, looking him in the eyes and telling him that he needs to stop. Somebody loudly pointing out that "Hey, there are 20 of us and only one of him. Let's make him stop."

That's how I feel about it.
The things I am hearing people say in this thread are flat out dumb.

If some chicken s*** cop is looking to bother anyone about something dumb, then that could be someone's sister, wife, mother, or anyone...yeah white people too!!!! Then what?
I would have kicked the living crap out of him.

That's what needs to be done!!!!! You dont stand there like a bunch of gophers.

I grew up in an all-italian neighborhood in Brooklyn NY, and if a punk cop came around looking for trouble, that is exactly what happened to him. he got the crap knocked out of him and there was nothing he, or any of his buddies could do. Everyone in the neighborhood treated each other like family.

That's the way it needs to be handled because things are clearly out of control. There is no law. Only Tyranny, and it's got to be stopped.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
O, it was about jaywalking. Dam , I thought the cops wife had caught him with an under aged girl and all 3 of them were going at it like on The Jerry Springer Show.... That's what it looked like to me anyway....My Bad......

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory

Originally posted by backwherewestarted
It's amazing how many people on ATS will post with their mind made up and ignore anything in the video or the facts and shout their outrage.

yeah but u gotta remember this was all because of jaywalking. this whole stop was unnecessary, that's why it escalated to where it did. i honestly feel cops should have a 10 min. course in empathy everyday before going on patrol.

So it's okay to break minor laws? Why do we even have those laws then?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Izarith
All he had to do was explain to the girl that if she did not sign the ticket he would have to place her under arrest. If she refused to sign after him explaining it to her that the reason people are asked to sign is as a promise to either pay as guilty or appear in Court and that if not signed she would be arrested and sent to jail until the day of court specified in the ticket.

Yeah, because she was so enthusiastic about following his simple instructions before any violence occurred. Do you really think the "victim" and her friend in the pink would allow a civilised conversation to proceed?

After a little huffing and puffing the girl would have probably signed. if in case she did not he should have called for back up for the arrest since there were several people in the aria.

People who are saying "he should have called for backup" are missing the big picture. Should he be wasting the police forces resources on getting back-up for a jaywalker? Unless the back-up included a black cop, it would just be spun the same way it was in this case.

A ticket should not evolve into a huge boxing match like it did.

Agreed. Unfortunately, it did evolve into a situation where violence was likely. Both played a part in that.

You reason with people and accept the fact that they will be angry of the extra cost of an infraction during these hard economic times and you don't just start treating them as if they were on PCP.

The message the women was sending by purposely not following the cop's orders was that she was not taking him seriously. What is the point in having cops if people think they are a joke that can just be ignored?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir

Originally posted by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory

Originally posted by backwherewestarted
It's amazing how many people on ATS will post with their mind made up and ignore anything in the video or the facts and shout their outrage.

yeah but u gotta remember this was all because of jaywalking. this whole stop was unnecessary, that's why it escalated to where it did. i honestly feel cops should have a 10 min. course in empathy everyday before going on patrol.

So it's okay to break minor laws? Why do we even have those laws then?

Because obviously she has the right to impede lawful traffic on a roadway and she has the right to get hit by a car and send someone to jail for involuntary manslaughter or at least death by negligence. That is just her right! I guess...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Izarith
I would have honestly, no joke, probably would have crawed up into a little ball on the floor and started crying hisaricly like a little girl if that Fat girl would have pushed me like that.

Why? because I don't hit women. what else am I going to do in that situation?

Slap her? How about if she came lunging at you with a knife. Would you then be permitted to defend yourself using force? Actually that sounds like fun. If there are any single female axe-murders out there, send me a message.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Can someone from the US tell me, is it normal LE policy for officers to go around on their own?

I'm fairly certain that in the UK, they travel in pairs, often a male and a female, this would seriously have made avoiding this situation far easier.

All the best, kiwi

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join