It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

750 planet candidates from kepler

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nasa have released the first 43 days of data collected by the kepler space telescope. With some 750 planet candidates but they think half will be false positives.

Ponder this: The number of planet candidates here is actually greater than the number of all the planets that have been discovered in the last 15 years. We could conceivably double the list of known exoplanets with these 43 days of data alone. And, obviously, Kepler is still on the job.

www.centauri-dreams.org...

most of these will be hot jupiter type planets still a good start from only 43 days worth of data

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well, I would guess that at least one of those 750 candidates would be an Earth-sized planet. Even after eleminating the 'false positives'.

Time to start gearing up for colonizing "Earth-2".

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Sign me up, I'll be first on board.

As long as I can pack my own bags hahaha and there is no restrictions on what you can bring.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I wonder what this is about...

Addendum: The video mentioned above has suddenly gone private. I don’t know why, but will hope to post it again when it reverts to public access.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
In this related article:
"Kepler craft reports apparent planetary bonanza"
www.sciencenews.org...

The newly reported findings don’t include details about the most interesting 400 of the 706 candidate planets, which orbit the brightest stars Kepler has surveyed. These cases may offer the most promise for finding planets with masses close to Earth‘s own. Information on these 400 planets won’t be made public until next February.

I guess it takes until "next February" for the ground-based telescopes to confirm that a 'candidate' is really a 'planet'?

[edit on 6/15/2010 by Larryman]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Well, I would guess that at least one of those 750 candidates would be an Earth-sized planet. Even after eleminating the 'false positives'.

there maybe smaller planets but theres only 43 days of data. To confirm an earth size planet in an earth like orbit they need 3 years of data. Also the ground based telescopes cant detect earth size planets yet they can only confirm bigger ones.

all these planets so far will be orbiting very close to the star. Completeing an orbit roughly every 15 days at the most . It takes earth 365 days to go around the sun.

I guess it takes until "next February" for the ground-based telescopes to confirm that a 'candidate' is really a 'planet'?

to check 400+ candidates will take a while. Theyll work through them over the next 6 months. Theres probbaly some conference scheduled for february so the kepler team will reveal them then. Some maybe before then

[edit on 16-6-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Ok. Let's play the odds, and say in about 3 years an Earth-like planet is found several lightyears away. It has breathable oxygen atmosphere, and oceans of liquid water, and low probability of advanced life. The next step is colonization!

How do we take our domesticated plants and animals to breed for food? The Jupiter 2 will need to be a lot larger. Do we contain them all in freezetubes? How big of Jupiter 2, to transport a 'family farm'?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I've said for a couple of decades now that I was just born too soon! In my heart I just know that I was meant to "travel the stars!" Ever read Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy? In some future life I envision myself as a Lagrange Calvert sorta gal.

But even before we master the problem of massive distances, if such a solution does indeed exist as in near light speed, light speed, or faster than light speed, we have to solve suspended animation. Ah... now that recalls Sigourney Weaver's Ripley roles

Seriously, I'm convinced there are other habitable planets "out there" whether or not humans ever reach them is probably much more in doubt. That said, my "future self" is almost certainly gonna be at the head of the line of volunteer colonists.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Geeky_Bubbe

It would seem to me that suspended animation could be done by simply placing a person in a very strong electrical field, to stop all neurons in their body from conducting electrical impulses. And then drop the body temperature to just above freezing for the voyage. Then at the destination... warm the body back to normal temperature, and then release the electrical field. Might be necessary to apply electrical heart stimulation to get it going again. But being kept at near freezing temperature should slow the chemical body deterioration for a very long time. Perhaps for many years.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
We need to test the concepts; we won't be able to discover the exact composition of its atmosphere at this sort of distance, so we need to know that we can atmo-form the planet -- make it easily breathable for us. We also need to get fuel that would last the whole way and a propulsion system that would get us there in a reasonable amount of time. We need to at least establish mars and moon bases before we start on earth-2.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Building bases on the Moon and Mars is a waste of resources. It only slows us down from our real objective of a new Earth.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Perhaps from a basic point of view it is a waste of resources; but we need to be able to prove that space colonies are possible to the Head Honchos. Plus, moonbase = awesome.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix

Sign me up, I'll be first on board.

As long as I can pack my own bags hahaha and there is no restrictions on what you can bring.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Quickfix]

same with me. I want off this planet. Hell, I would take Nibiru if it exists!

new topics

top topics

join