It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science or Religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sorry mods I don't know exactly where this thread would go so I took my best guess.

Science or Religion

Which do you think explains our world and the rules that govern nature and the universe?

Do you think the laws of science govern our world and the way it has/is/will be?

Do you think the laws of religion govern our world and the way it has/is/will be?

Please make your opinion very clear, provide facts and articles to assist your argument(optional). So which is it ATS?

SCIENCE or RELIGION?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Which do you think explains our world and the rules that govern nature and the universe?

Clearly science.

Religion never even told us about germs.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Can't it be both?

Don't really think I need a second line since my comment does add to the discussion, but just in case...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Neither, both are priveleged discourses over others.
We often think one scientific peer reviewed study is "scientific proof", or one religious view is "faith, religion or spirituality".
Then we get presented with a false dichotomy, about science vs. faith.
For example we are told its creationism vs evolution.
But there are many versions of religious and even Christian creationism, and many changing theories on eg. human evolution and its branches.
There is hardly a scientific study concerning social issues that is neutral.

At least science is bold enough to declare it doesn't have all the answers, while religions are bold enough to argue each one of the multiple answers is true.

Both are really just forms of manipulation.
When the US (or whatever power) needs war, religion does the brainwashing and science supplies the arsenal.
So why do we have any illusion that the two are at odds?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It is like comparing apples and oranges. They each have their pros and cons. My opinion though for the sake of discussion is science. I say this as we would not be where we are today without science. But like I said it is like comparing apples and oranges.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
my suggestion would be not to think in absolutes.

neither is 100% accurate. find a balance that you can agree with after researching the histories of both.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
religion is fantasy

science is the use of fantasy and evidences to find the truth

so, I pick science

plus

YOU DONT NEED RELIGION TO HAVE FAITH, BELIEFS, or WHATEVER

religion is a tool used by psychopaths, thats why I will never support religion, I dont support psychopaths ...

but why is religion used by psychopaths?

most religion are based on a book, and a book have multiple interpretations, so each person can have their own and use for their own necessity, and most people nowadays use for evil reasons, thats the truth ...

why science use fantasy?

well, for me to believe that there is something outside the universe, is kind of thinking of a fantasy, we may not never know for sure, but it is cool to think and use our brains to try to find out and make sense of things

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
religion is fantasy

science is the use of fantasy and evidences to find the truth

so, I pick science

plus

YOU DONT NEED RELIGION TO HAVE FAITH, BELIEFS, or WHATEVER

religion is a tool used by psychopaths, thats why I will never support religion, I dont support psychopaths ...

but why is religion used by psychopaths?

most religion are based on a book, and a book have multiple interpretations, so each person can have their own and use for their own necessity, and most people nowadays use for evil reasons, thats the truth ...

why science use fantasy?

well, for me to believe that there is something outside the universe, is kind of thinking of a fantasy, we may not never know for sure, but it is cool to think and use our brains to try to find out and make sense of things

Couldn’t agree more. But believing in an afterlife has been proven to be productive in the past during wars and famines. I am not talking about religion though.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Just another Science vs religion thread to get people to argue about the two. The truth is that Science and religion are not a dichotomy. What is this doing in ATS this is just a VERY generic thread that really does not belong on the internet but maybe a grade school yard.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

True to an extent. But would you say Gandhi, Martin Luther King and thousands of faith based charities are psychopaths?
Would you say that the clinical, cold-hearted "lab rat" science has never been psychopathic? Perhaps we should remember that many Nazi scientists who did horrific things got off scott free, because they were morally cold, objective researchers?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

anything can be used by psychopaths, thats the reality

but religion was suppose to be about faith, but it is not, I guarantee you, in the big picture, it is not about faith at all, and most people have their own interpretation for their own gain, and thats #ed up ...

reply to post by Maddogkull

you dont have to have a religion to believe in after life

to extend

I would say that it is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to really not believe in something DIVINE, in the sense of external to our world:\we may be a virtual world, we may be part of a bigger system, who knows, thats what it is great to use fantasy and science to develop new ideas ...

right now I personally not sure about anything, I believe we may be living in a simulation or in a virtual world, since everything is information, and the reality is that everything we feel is based on perception, so, we are not seeing something, something else is informing us that we are seeing the something ... so, it is hard

just to add, in a few years we will be able to create real simulations of our world, then we will have a good idea that, well, we probably are part of some kind of a virtual system

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

No religion didn't show us germs. But it did provided some hygiene rules to prevent becoming sick from germs.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
No religion didn't show us germs. But it did provided some hygiene rules to prevent becoming sick from germs.

Perhaps, but then certain religions blamed the source of disease on demons. That same religion also told us that rainbows were a covenant with god. Religion got it quite incredibly wrong.

It's readily apparent that religion is in no way reliable as a source of explaining how the world and universe operates.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Science attempts to and it does a much better job than religion. But please be mindful that science is always collecting new data and discovering new things, its a fluid and changing process, its not like dogma which tends to resist change at all cost.

Do you think the laws of science govern our world and the way it has/is/will be?

No. The laws of nature govern our world, science just discovers and studies them.

Do you think the laws of religion govern our world and the way it has/is/will be?

No thankfully, otherwise we might all be stoned for working on the Sabbath or worshiping the "wrong" deities. Its amazing that the Bible says worshiping anything but Yaweh/Elohim is a sin but says almost nothing on rape (well it does say that a rapist should be able to pay a fine and then MARRY his victim, that's right, a raped woman would be forced to marry her attacker).

Facts or articles? THESE ARE OPINION QUESTIONS. Why should I got and get someone else's words to support my opinions? I think most know that the laws of nature govern our world, even the religious understand that much. I think most know that the line "God did it" explains NOTHING of the way the Universe works and I think most KNOW that living under primitive religious law would be bad.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I'm glad I never said that.

I was just pointing out that it is not a black and white situation.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Sorry mods I don't know exactly where this thread would go so I took my best guess.

Science or Religion

Please make your opinion very clear, provide facts and articles to assist your argument(optional). So which is it ATS?

SCIENCE or RELIGION?
The word and will of God AND science whom God is the author of.

So both.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I choose Science. Even though I truly believe there is a lot that were not told about everything. Whats the saying? Religion fly's us into buildings and Science fly's us to the moon!

Some magic guy in the sky, Who sees everything we do?!?
I dont buy it man.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Science (or more accurately, the scientific method) is a good enough methodology to gain an understanding of the physical universe.

Religion helps with the other stuff.

They aren't really at odds. Sometimes they even overlap!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Science or Religion

neither. science-fictionology. ATSers are the founding fathers...
after some of the messiah threads i've read in form of a thread, and now lodged in my head until i'm dead.....

i think science fiction governs science (pre-science).

no thanks. nice science fiction stories though ...

SCIENCE or RELIGION?

science-fictionology,
ET

facts and articles to assist my argument ????

phrases that consist of the same ingredients are all i can offer to support proof to my claims that science-fictionology is the answer....

if i can exert my will enough to turn a "w" upsidedown into a "m" and if i can exert my will just enough to re-arrange a few letters....

patrick stewart
i'm star trek capt.

of course, i also added: ' & .
whew, that took alot...

here, let us try to re-arrange a few more letters...

where god is
gee, words. hi!

huh, imagine that...

i come in peace, or i come in pieces,
ET

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join