It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Spiders getting bigger in the UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Im not sure if its just me lol But so far this year i have seen some very very big spiders,

Normally i would not see such big ones till later in the year, But its June and i have seen some massive ones so far!

Im pretty scared of them so im getting a little freaked out
And fear that the later summer ones will be even larger!!

Also its not just Spiders but Flies!,mosquito's! They all just seem rather large this year.

Now i could just be imagining things so i wanted to see what others have to say here in the UK.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
There seems to be plenty of food to make them fatter. If someone enjoyed to capture these bugs and decided to eat them will be very happy.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I definitely agree about the mosquitoes, I killed a huge one full of blood just the other night. A few years ago I remember saying to my mum about the mosquitoes and she said, "what are you talking about, we don't get them here?". Funny that we get them at all considering how inconsistent the temperatures are.

Not sure about the spiders, i've always seen really big ones around.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
They are all plumping up in preparation for the great leap forward.

When I lived in South Carolina I had to deal with these buggers on the Mountain Bike trails.

Banana Spiders or Golden Orb Weavers build massive webs that span the width of the trails at just about head level. They would usually plump up by late July or Aug. though. They can get to the size of a palm of your hand. It's strange that you are seeing the size increase now.

In my area the squirrels are going gangbusters digging up their caches of Acorns that were stashed before winter.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I live in Florida and all of our spiders and mosquitos and such I swear are on steroids, they are huge!

I could see a black widow and it would look like the size of a cat to me. Spiders freak me out and always look bigger and scarier when I see one. I swear they have fangs sometimes!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

MY GOD warning sign please! I just jumped and screamed, almost dropped the computer in the tub! That is one horrific picture

I would not want to see one of these...although I admit it's kind of pretty.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I have a theory.

Our food.

We put all these chemicals and hormones etc, into our food to "plump it up" essentially.

Then, bugs like flies etc eat our crumbs/garbage, and get these chemicals /hormones into THEIR systems too.

Then, these spiders eat these bugs. And get the hormones chemicals.

Thus the fast growth rates.

It's probably just the vast chemical treatments we give to our crops, and the growth hormones we inject in our livestock.

It's in our bodies now too.

I am talking world wide , globally.

If what you say is true, than perhaps this is our culprit.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

It's like kids nowadays. I swear they are bigger. I dont ever remember being as big as some of the teenagers I see now. It's the food!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
i havent seen any particulary scary spiders of recent down in the south.

we even have some of the more rare'r uk species becuse of the hoter weather and the milder winter due to the proximity to the coast.

how ever i do remember as a lad.. about gosh must be almost 15years back me and my dad cleaning out the garage before a move.

we caught a spider we named Betty the beast.

we put it in a large instant coffee jar its leg span was bigger than my hand back then, and its main body about the size of a zippo but round. pretty big for the uk.

its web in the top corner of the garage was full off other dead spiders she had been eating all the competition. think i wanted to take her to show and tell but my parents wouldn't let me incase i scared outer children.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Just imagine the food chain.

Everything is connected to everything else.

Therefore if you put bovine growth hormone in all the cattle.

Guess what? It's in the entire food chain now.

From top to bottom.

It only takes a few years for it to trickle it's way through the entire system.

Just think about it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I'm not in the UK, but have noticed an increase in the numbers of flies around here lately -- lizards seem a bit plumper, so I expect they're happy with the increase in food.

We allow the orb weavers to stay between the crotons around the outside of the house, as they're sort of our bug barrier to the windows; I haven't perceived any increase in size over previous years.

Mosquitos -- about the same here. We have bat boxes and several homemade mosquito traps near the house , so that might skew my view of mosquito problem, plus it's been fairly dry here lately. Later on in the year when we have standing water behind the house, I'll broadcast some soapy water as usual.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

I know what you mean Asala, not seen a lot of them but the ones I have seen have been monsters.. and the worst thing is I'm terrified of them! Not something you'd expect from a 6'7 bloke..

Other thing I've noticed is massive flying ants everywhere

I didn't even know there were ants that could fly until this year.

I'm not sure if these little bursts of heat that we're getting are maybe contributing in someway, don't normally see dragonfly's around here either unless it's humid but there are some spectacularly coloured ones knocking around at the minute.

[edit on 15/6/2010 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
i get it now. the truth is simple

when they cut the growth hormone to the top of the food chain.
and its still working its way to the insects. that's when all the proficiced b moves become real.

attack off the killer earwigs.

massacre of the millipedes,

lolz

but maybe this is having an effect. but surely growth hormones even if not processed like toxins dont. stack up at bottom areas off the food chain. its normaly the top.

you eat 10 birds

witch in turn ate a 10000 incest's
etc

the toxicity or hormone levels increase as you go up
but that dont realy work the other way round. as down the food chain they get less and less.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Can't say much about them getting bigger, but what i have noticed is they seem to be making strange webs.

The normal spiral type web design seems to be being replaced by a kind of chaotic mass of webs, that go over and under, and in all different directions creating a kind of web 'bed' about 18 inches long and about 6 inches thick.

There doesn't seem to be an organised pattern as such, just a mass of lines over and under other web lines.

I've seen videos of spiders' webs before that show the effects of drugs on their web building patterns. (Yeah, really) The patterns changed according to what and how much of a substance they were given.

Maybe this is something similar? Pollution or EM waves may be having a similar effect as drugs do.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I am not an expert, but couldn't those bigger insects appear because of climate change? For example, they usually stay in one place like the wild zone where they won't bother or scary anyone and because of climate changes they are going into cities? By the way, Asala, you live in a city or rural zone?

Oh, also, where I live, when I was a kid I commonly saw big insects but there is no more and that's why I think climate change is making them going to other places.

Take care...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Oh no, this is one topic I was never wanting to see. I am more scared of Spiders than 2012, Aliens, Ghost, The Devil... I just can't trust anything with more that 4 legs, they are unpredictable.

Already checking the corners of my room, believe me I am that scared. Thanks for the heads up, I need bigger weapons now.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Yes, a most definite YES.

I base this on the screams from my wife, and daughters, and the size of the books, shoes, and other implements with which she carries out a terminal sanction with extreme prejudice on them!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Asala, you live in a city or rural zone?

I live in the City, We do get them kinda big later in the year but this early to get such large ones seems a little odd to me,

We had a very bad winter this year with weeks of snow and a late spring,

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jericanman

It's web was probably not full of other spiders BUT full of the outer shell / skeleton of itself...

I live in the Country and in one out-building, on the window ledge last year I watched a HUGE house spider shed it's skin over a period of several hours. It was amasing to watch as when it stepped out of it's old skin it was almost a silky slippery black / grey - bit like an Alien from the Film. As it dried it changed colour back into house spider colours - quite amasing..

It's dimensions were approx 4.5 inches from leg tip to leg tip at least...!
It's hairs on it's legs were easily visible and it's eight eyes well easiy visible as well.....

Largest one I have ever seen in the UK.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I've not noticed, maybe it's radioactivity, if they glow encourage one to bite you
Nothing better than a reason to wear Spandex.

Always nice to have a big house spider around, just means it's well fed - they eat everything including the smaller spiders, therefore if your not fond of spiders keep the biggest one around and stay on good terms!

Spiders are not really a problem here, not the sort we normally see... Creepy yes, dangerous, well almost never
- best to get to know them so if you do see an unusual one you know to show it one of your shoes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join