It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mine the border? Candidate says it's an option

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Mine the border? Candidate says it's an option

hosted.ap.org

The Republican nominee for a New Mexico congressional seat suggested during a radio interview that the United States could place land mines along the Mexican border to secure the international boundary.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/15/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
although he says it was a suggestion he'd heard while campaigning, In a radio interview with KNMX, Mullins says the U.S. could mine the border, install barbed wire and post signs directing would-be border jumpers to cross legally at designated checkpoints.

Sure why not? We already kidnap and torture people. Assassinate people. Falsely charge,convict and lengthy imprison inconvenient people. Surveil people. So why not mine the borders? This seems like a perfectly logical extension of this fascist nation.

hosted.ap.org

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/15/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sianara

Land of the free and home of the brave.....

Peace

[edit on 15-6-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Whatever keeps US Feds from entering mexico and exsicuting kids is fine with me.

Sounds like a great idea.

No but really, I'd like to see a Politician propose a sensible solution to the illegal immigration problem.

Here, here is a plan that would work....

You offer all Illegals currently in the US a one year work residency visa. illegals will all flood to get this as it provides documentation for driving, getting car insurance, tax refunds, the works.

While the year goes by you introduce a citizen work identification card for the Legal citizens of America, hard to fake and easy to verify that you are able and legal to work. If employers do not hire people who are legal they face extremely hard punishments and Federal charges.

When the year is up all the temp visas of the illegals runs out in groups a month at a time, this gives the government another year to work out a temp work visa program that works to Mexicans who wish to go to the US and work for a year or two.

Every ones happy, everyone makes out, everyone is legal everyone goes back to their country when their time is up and gets in line for another chance to make a buck.

But will the American people ever see a program like this....no, instead you get the option to landmine your own country....*FacePalm*.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Won't work LOL.

They will send in some dumb ones first, to trip off the mines.

After the path is cleared, then the rest can flow through.

Alternatively, they can bring a mine detector and a pocket knife.

This is a dumb solution.

Try something a little more modern and complicated maybe? Like sensor operated gun turrets ala area 51.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Won't work LOL.

They will send in some dumb ones first, to trip off the mines.

After the path is cleared, then the rest can flow through.

Yeah your right,

And there way to many dumb Feds, They would need a hell of a lot of land minds to keep themselves from executing kid in Mexico.

Oh sorry your talking about the illegals, simple mistake on my part.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

Your suggestion is very logical and shows you are tuned in to the human psyche.

That is the problem tho. Logic is not something that interests US politicians. Rustling up votes thru scare mongering is. Maintaining a system that keeps the rich rich and the poor poor is.

I don't see that changing or improving. There are just going to be more and more suggestions involving violence and hate.

I sincerely believe that common sense, logic and faith in human nature don't have a chance in that country.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Your suggestion is very logical and shows you are tuned in to the human psyche.

That is the problem tho. Logic is not something that interests US politicians. Rustling up votes thru scare mongering is. Maintaining a system that keeps the rich rich and the poor poor is.

I don't see that changing or improving. There are just going to be more and more suggestions involving violence and hate.

I sincerely believe that common sense, logic and faith in human nature don't have a chance in that country.

What you say is true...sadly.

I lost faith in humanity a long time ago, a long time ago....

We don't have a chance in hell, not in the slightest. We humans in all countries are not different than RX7 chickens eating our own poop in some huge factory assembly line.

I just feel bad sometimes because there are good people on this Hell Rock we call Earth. So i keep trying what little I can.

Ain'ts got nutten betters to do.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Would the mines have to be deadly? Surely a far more humane way would be to place some sort of mine, but one that simply alerts guards to the fact it has been tripped. And in conjunction with that they could also release an extremely hard to remove dye along with a scent that will allow the person/s to be easily tracked.

Surely this solution isn't beyond our capabilities? This or one of many alternatives, but of course the costs would be huge.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Landmines would be fine if they were only filled with pepperspray.

But mutilating and murdering people to protect an invisible border is insanity.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sianara

I read the article he seems to be doing some back peddling. I would not vote for this man, for he cannot even stand by his word.

The option he suggested on the radio sounds insane on the surface. However once I thought about it well its not that bad of a idea.
It will make USA seem more hostile but will we have so much border violence? At first yes, but not after people see the consequences.
"Oh but Pack thats not fair!! What will the people of Mexico do then?"

Fix their country. Form a town mob against the gangs and drug violence that is ruining sweet Mexico.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

Would the mines have to be deadly? Surely a far more humane way would be to place some sort of mine, but one that simply alerts guards to the fact it has been tripped.

A landmine that alerts guards that there is a trespasser.......a land mine....

You must have had a terrible hell of a time trying to install a motion sensor in your house hu?

And in conjunction with that they could also release an extremely hard to remove dye

Yeah because those blue eyed, blond haired Illegal Mexicans are soooo hard to identify.

along with a scent that will allow the person/s to be easily tracked.

You have never smelt a parson who has just traveled through a sewer and spent the last 16 hours in a closed up truck with another 17 Mexicans and spent the rest of the day dying of dehydration in 100 degree heat...have you?

Call it a wild guess.

Surely this solution isn't beyond our capabilities? This or one of many alternatives, but of course the costs would be huge.

For the motion sensing, dye exploding, skunker model 2000?...yes that might run a pretty penny.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Maybe we could create a plan where Mexicans could bring a chicken to the border and trade it for a legal immigrant status.

Put land mines on the border? Is this guy out of his mind or what?

The Republican Party never ceases to amaze me.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
An about face

Asked Monday to clarify, Tom Mullins emphasized that he does not advocate doing so.

He explained Monday it was a suggestion he'd heard while campaigning.

www.miamiherald.com...

GOP is hardcore.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Too bad, we did not store the Berlin Wall. There seems to be a rather big request for such things.

How about a turtle fence?

But it's always difficult to stop the poor coming. We here in Europe digged the Mediterranian hole and filled it with water. Still they are coming from Africa.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
not a bad idea. they will know the mines are there, it is up to them to decide if its worth the risk.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Disgraceful suggestion.

America likes torturing innocent people. What about the people like some kid playing footie who may run over one without going near america.

Planks of wood and there suggestions.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
In Sweden, there is a belt along the sea bed, following the Swedish border along the sea, of magnetic mines. As far as I've understood it, they can be activated remotely in case of war. And mines are mines whether they are on land or sea.

So it's not unheard of for a democracy (or whatever the hell Sweden is, what with a royal family and all) to edge their borders with mines. But the difference is, for some reason, it's not possible to do the same on land - I mean, if you place a landmine, it's not going to be deactivated until you activate it remotely. It's gonna go boom, and someone's gonna get killed.

Now, I don't reject the idea entirely.

But it does remind me of the Finish-Russian border during the Soviet era (Dunnow how it looks these days) when it was one big, fat minefield with machine-gun towers and yada yada. Sort of like the Berlin Wall, but with mines.

I guess it CAN be done, and it definitely would solve the illegal immigration problems, and permanently so. But do you really want your nation surrounded by an active and very much deadly minefield? Don't get me wrong. I support the Arizona law, and is very much against illegal aliens. They're criminals, and should be treated as such, and very harshly so.

But, honestly, I've never heard of any country that combats criminals with landmines.
It's a bit like an extension of the "Give up your freedom to protect you from terrorists" idea. Furthermore, unlike the mine field I mentioned off the coast of Sweden, these mines are active the moment they're buried, and they do not check your passport before they blow you to smithereens.

Also, they can be used to keep people in as well as out.

I don't think this is something that is going to happen, at least not any time soon, but it has been done in the past, though not in the US. And not in any democracy.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The US should sign up to the Ottawa Treaty which bans land mines. Landmines are weapons which persist long after the battle has rolled on and the soldiers have gone home, as is shown by thousands of civilians crippled and kept from their land by these weapons.

Shame on the US. I can understand tin pot countries like China wanting to keep these weapons, but…

Ottawa Treaty

Regards

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sianara

Republican candidate suggests landmines at US-Mexico border

hosted.ap.org

The Republican nominee for a New Mexico congressional seat suggested during a radio interview that the United States could place land mines along the Mexican border to secure the international boundary.

Nice, This scumbag politician's children should be used to initially test the mine field out in my opinion. This isn't the demilitarized zone between the koreas you jackass, what kind of idiots elect people like this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join