It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Planetary Defense Task Force to meet July 8

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

Nope! NASA will definitely not tell. I found something on the SOHO Lascon 3 footage earlier this year. I just found the screen capture I made then.

I will try and post it tonight (I am in South Africa).

When you see what I am talking about, you will be as amazed as I am that this was not mentioned by NASA at all.

After all, these are all their projects. Is everyone sleeping over there?

Regards

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Before I go, check out one impact prevention idea proposed by MIT researchers, it's interesting to say the least:
www.dailygalaxy.com...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, I read all that..

So whats the minimum size we can detect and how far in advance??

Also, I'd assume size is less important than weight and velocity...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Well, judging from the article you linked I'd say the minimum is 10 meters size at two days out.

At 10 meters, the mass isn't going to vary much and due to the way orbits work, the closing velocity probably won't either.

[edit on 6/15/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Reply to post by virgom129

Using the following detection method could allow for better detection success. The method looks for faint trails left by small asteroids in digital images.

Link: www.springerlink.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No idea how you worked that..Not really an answer...

So they would see one 15m across with 3 months warning???

I'm just asking a serious question..

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Reply to post by virgom129

Asteroids below about 300m in diameter are relatively difficult to find, and the lower you go in diameter the more difficult these rocks are to spot.
The good new is thatbwe would likely find a rock that has the potential to wipe us out simply because if would be relatively large. The Bad news is that smaller rocks can do a lot of damage and if is no where near a guarantee that we will find the rock before it's too late no matter what the size may be.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Reply to post by Sf18443

Sorry for the typos. Most of the "if"s should be replaced with "it"

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

It's an answer. You asked for minimums. The article gave the current minimums. The larger the object is the further away it can be detected. I cannot give you any figures beyond that, just a general statement.

However, there are far, far more small objects out there than large objects. Just because several small objects have made close approaches to Earth recently does not mean that several large objects have, and done so undetected.

Make no mistake. The Earth is endangered by asteroids and comets. Of that there is no doubt. And again, that is the whole point behind the task force and the sky surveys. To search out those critters and to try to come up with ways to deal with them.

You insist that "they" would not tell us if an impact was imminent. That may be true if a global catastrophe was going to happen. But so what? I really don't care if I knew it was going to happen or not. But what if, say, Portland Oregon was going to get hit next week? Do you really think that nothing would be said about it? If that's the case why are there tsunami evacuations? Why are there hurricane evacuations? Why do "they" tell us to get the hell out?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sf18443

Thanks for the answer mate.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by virgom129]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The article gave the size of that particular object.
It never mentioned that was the minimum that could be detected..

I asked you because you appear to know more about these things than me.
I will never ask you a question again because you talk to people like they are stupid..I am far from that..
Another member gave me a credible answer...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Here is what the article says:

But planetary scientists said the asteroid, or whatever it was, set a new standard: A 10-meter-wide (33-foot-wide) asteroid can be detected two days before it potentially hits Earth.

That tells me that is the minimum detectable size and distance.

I'm sorry if you feel like I was talking to you in an offensive manner. I didn't mean to.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
So, does anyone think that a particular object already discovered will be discussed at this meeting or do you think an emphasis will be placed on detecting more NEOs?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by V1g0r0u5

Nope! NASA will definitely not tell. I found something on the SOHO Lascon 3 footage earlier this year. I just found the screen capture I made then.

I will try and post it tonight (I am in South Africa).

When you see what I am talking about, you will be as amazed as I am that this was not mentioned by NASA at all.

After all, these are all their projects. Is everyone sleeping over there?

Regards

Well how original, something on the LASCO C3 you say? That sure as hell hasn't came up before. But anyhow, I will give you the benefit of my doubt and let you present evidence of whatever you found out to be proof of NASA hiding things.

But please, for both yours and mine sake, don't even bother to bring up the stupid Nibiru stories. If you do as i think you will, and simply ignore this advice, then please present some REAL EVIDENCE (i.e. not a lit-up pixel showing those scary "tails")

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Good things to know about Planetary Defense.

SPACECAST 2020 Technical Report (report conducted 1993-1994, final report issued June 1994)
Volume I PREPARING FOR PLANETARY DEFENSE:
Detection and Interception of Asteroids on Collision Course with Earth
www.fas.org...

The movie Deep Impact came out in 1998 www.imdb.com...

February 23-26, 2004. The Planetary Defense Conference: Protecting Earth from Asteroids was held at Garden Grove, California. www.planetarydefense.info...

NASA's Deep Impact probe Deep Impact is a NASA space probe launched on January 12, 2005.
en.wikipedia.org...(space_mission)

In 2007 there was another Planetary Defense conference in Washington DC Planetary Defense Conference:
www.aero.org...

2009 1st IAA Planetary Defense Conference: Protecting Earth from Asteroids
27 - 30 April 2009
Granada, Spain
www.congrex.nl...

July 2010.Congress proposes a study in
Congress Proposes Commission to Study Asteroid Impact Threat
www.space.com...
Congress requested that the Commission do the study for under $2 million dollar.

NASA issued the final report October 6, 2010 and gave funding recommendations. They were asking for $250 million to $300 million per year during the next decade. I do not see that it was approved by Congress yet.
www.space.com...

edit on 12/10/2010 by SayonaraJupiter because: corrections

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
And a few more:

Planetary Defense: Catastrophic Health Insurance for Planet Earth (USAF)
October 1996
csat.au.af.mil/2025/volume3/vol3ch16.pdf

Planetary Defense: Preventing a World of Trouble
(Released November 2005) by Salvatore A. Vittorio
www.csa.com...

Future events. Make your reservations for this one. This conference is still taking papers.
The International Academy of Astronautics will hold its second conference on protecting our planet from impacts by asteroids and comets from 9 - 12 May 2011 in Bucharest, Romania. www.pdc2011.org...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Thanks for your Update.
Star.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join