It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Planetary Defense Task Force to meet July 8

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

Looking is part of it. You can't do anything at all about something you don't see coming.

Mitigation is another topic of active discussion
1) Civil Defense. Get people out of the way of a less than global scale catastrophe.
2) Slow push or slow pull methods. Not high tech but takes time.
3) Kinetic impactors. Not likely to be effective but we need to know more.
4) Nuclear explosions. Ditto.

Or, you could just wait until it's too late to think about it. But then...you've seen the movie. You know how it turns out, right?

[edit on 6/15/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sf18443

I do know where Phage is coming from, what with all this 2012 stuff...

Someone is likely to say we can just send one of our Starcruisers up and blast it with a plasma ray...

But it does seem that lots of things are happening ATM.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Reply to post by virgom129

Well, I'm not really implying that we would all collectively have a worldwide debate about how to solve the problem lol, I was really just saying we as humans (whoever is having the debate about how to solve the problem) would have trouble arriving at a consensus.
But yeah we would find out way late in the game.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
would it be ok to add a link to your thread from mine?
S&F.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, I already said I'd seen the movie and I also think its pretty close to what would happen...
The Public would be kept in the dark as long as possible so as not to cause panic...And probably for good reason...

Its also why some see a conspiracy within, its only logical..
We know they wouldn't tell, so are they not telling??

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sf18443

Right now we have time. We know, with pretty high certainty, that we aren't going to be hit by anything in the next few years at least. Our observational abilities are improving (which is one of the objectives of the task force) so the chances may actually be pretty good that we could find a big rock in time to do something about it.

But what to do...there's the rub. We don't know enough. And that's the point of the task force.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

The movie was stupid. From start to finish. No science. No sense.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Reply to post by Phage

I think a massive kinetic impact coupled with a simultaneous close proximity nuclear explosion would be our greatest brute force strategy. What do u think?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Reply to post by jazz10

Sure. Its fine with me. This is public information. Thanks for your interest!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

In the last year I have heard of big rocks pass close that they hadn't known about...

Now you say we would notice?? Whats changed this year??

[edit on 15-6-2010 by virgom129]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

THere has been more than one movie...
Which one you talking about??

BTW, they they are called SciFi for a reason

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sf18443

It depends. It depends on the composition of the object. It depends on the relationship of its orbit to Earth's orbit. What is is made of? A solid hunk of stone? A pile of rocks? A ball of mush? Is it going to hit us this time around the Sun, or next time?

Like cancer, there is no single cure. Each type is different. Each requires being looked at and analyzed separately. We need a quiver of strategies to deal with a number of possibilities.

[edit on 6/15/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

All of them.
And though they might be called "scifi" (I loathe that term), they aren't. They are Hollywood.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Reply to post by Phage

I agree. Too many times people assume that an asteroid headed for us willsurely be a big, solid chunk of rock/metal. A less dense mass of lots of smaller rocks would be a lot trickier to deal with. But I contend shock waves either by a nuclear blast or some other energy source will be effective at least partially.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by franspeakfree

The OP didn't mention much of anything so I relied upon the chosen forum to interpret his intent. Now I know my interpretation was incorrect.

Hmm I am showing that this is in Military Projects, perhaps thats where the problem lies

I know that the Earth has been hit by big rocks before and will be again. It's a roll of the dice. But that's no secret.

I wonder if this meeting has been brought about due to this Mystery Of Missing Debris

[edit on 15-6-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

They were far smaller than planet killers and had they been on a collision course there was time to evacuated the impact zone.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

updated 8:50 p.m. ET Jan. 13, 2010
A near-Earth object hurtled past us on Wednesday, just two days after its discovery was announced.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Sort of makes your comment below hard to swallow...

Right now we have time. We know, with pretty high certainty, that we aren't going to be hit by anything in the next few years at least. Our observational abilities are improving

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Guys I'm heading to bed. I hope the debate continues! I will chime in tomorrow! Thanks again for taking an interest.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Could be. Jupiter seems to be a pretty good goalkeeper.
But the topic has been of interest for quite some time.
www.nss.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Like I said, not a planet killer.

If the object had been on a collision course with Earth, it wouldn't have done any damage anyway. But planetary scientists said the asteroid, or whatever it was, set a new standard: A 10-meter-wide (33-foot-wide) asteroid can be detected two days before it potentially hits Earth.

If it had been big enough to be a danger (it wasn't) and if it had impacted Earth (it didn't), there would have been time to get people out of the way.

It was tiny. It just goes to show how good we are getting at finding stuff. We can see big rocks, really big rocks, a good ways out there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join