It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moody's downgrades Greek debt to junk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
www.marketwatch.com...

June 14, 2010, 2:49 p.m. EDT
Moody's downgrades Greek debt to junk

By MarketWatch
This update corrects the figure for Dow's session high.

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Moody's Investors Service on Monday downgraded Greece's government bond ratings to junk in a move that knocked some gains off U.S. stocks.

The ratings agency slashed Greece's sovereign-debt rating by four notches to junk status of Ba1 from A3, reflecting its view of the country's medium-term credit fundamentals.

"The Ba1 rating reflects our analysis of the balance of the strengths and risks associated with the euro-zone/IMF support package. The package effectively eliminates any near-term risk of a liquidity-driven default and encourages the implementation of a credible, feasible, and incentive-compatible set of structural reforms, which have a high likelihood of stabilizing debt service requirements at manageable levels," said Sarah Carlson, Moody's senior analyst.

"Nevertheless, the macroeconomic and implementation risks associated with the program are substantial and more consistent with a Ba1 rating," she added. The outlook on all ratings is stable, Moody's said.

The Dow, which had traded as high as 10,329 during the session, trimmed its gains to stand at 10,250 after the Moody's move.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Pretty quiet on this forum lately. Too much fake good news on the MSM? Are we numb from news of collapsing governments?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
well this isn't good news for Greece
or the EU.

might as well declare bankruptcy
and be done with it. Crash the
Euro while ur at it. That ought to
elevate the dollar back up about
.20%

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
At least Fitch hasn't downgraded Greece as well. I expect though that it is only a matter of time. I think that the only chance Greece and possibly Spain, Italy etc, have at is point is to drop out of the Euro, reinstate their respective pre-Euro currencies and inflate themselves out of the mess they have created.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Don't worry everything is just fine I am sure they can pull themselves out of this.

The ships are sinking one by one. And we still believe TPTB that everything is peachy. Spain will be next. Funny thing is the US and UK are just about as bad off. Hmm makes me wonder is the market fixed? Thank God for propaganda and fake money or we would be in a deep hole right now.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Don't worry everything is just fine I am sure they can pull themselves out of this.

The ships are sinking one by one. And we still believe TPTB that everything is peachy. Spain will be next. Funny thing is the US and UK are just about as bad off. Hmm makes me wonder is the market fixed? Thank God for propaganda and fake money or we would be in a deep hole right now.

That is what that got us all here. Its like killing the parents and consoling the child.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chaosinorder

Well thankfully for them most people are stupid and would rather bicker about political affiliation rather then the issues. Right vs left has worked out great for them.

Thankfully the right is waking up slowly now if we just can get the left to see the truth then we will see change in this country.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The entire world's economy is a house of cards.... I wouldn't be surprised if the NYSE drops 400 pts tomorrow in the first 2 hours of trading...

It's a freaking shell game. move this money here, buy that debt there.. such bs.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Pretty surprising that this downgrade is announced right after a number of days that brought mainly positive news about the EU economy. This is an act of economic war by the US on the EU. They are trying to distract attention from the financial woes in America and the credit rating agencies are the perfect tool for that.

If you don't agree with, tell me why Japan still has a triple A status with a debt/GDP ratio of almost 200% while the US and UK are not much better off than Greece. Especially if you consider the weight of the Japanese and US economy in comparison to the Greek economy.

Why of why are these countries spared from downgrades while Eurozone countries get downgrade after downgrade. This is deflection and market manipulation at its finest.

This morning, I read an interesting article in Spiegel. A number of snippets:

Europe Looks to Break US Ratings Monopoly

Few doubt that US ratings agencies contributed greatly to the global financial crisis. Europe is now worried that the euro could also fall victim to credit downgrades -- and is exploring the possibility of creating its own ratings agency.

In the United States, where the rating agencies are based, they have long since lost their aura of infallibility. The agency that supervises the markets, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), as well as dozens of companies and private individuals, have filed damage suits against the rating agencies for having failed entirely in their assessments of billions of dollars worth of investment vehicles backed by subprime mortgages.

Because the issuers of the toxic securities paid for their ratings, the agencies constantly found themselves in a conflict of interest. "We rate every deal. It could be structured by cows, and we would rate it," a rating analyst wrote in September 2007. Meanwhile, investors blindly trusted the overly rosy assessments, which contributed greatly to the eruption of the financial crisis.

Of course, the notion of competition isn't the only motivation behind the French campaign for a European rating agency. Many a politician and professor sees Moody's and the other two agencies as a US instrument of power. Rudolf Hickel, an economics professor in the northern German city of Bremen, believes that the ratings agencies are incorporated into the "system of interests" of the American financial sector.

Do the agencies act as a beachhead for Wall Street? And by downgrading the ratings of European governments, are they even deliberately providing the ammunition for American euro speculators?

source

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dbriefed

About time.

two lines

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
And thus So the Trend Fake Postive News Countines

CANADA STOCKS-TSX jumps 2 pct on Europe news, S&P rally

"There seem to be some signs of improvement on the European credit side of things that's causing a little bit of optimism out there."

Spain, Belgium and Ireland all sold government debt at auctions that attracted solid demand and lifted some of the gloom over Europe's debt crisis. That helped the euro rally against the dollar and pushed some commodities higher.

Its all false Rally people, please dont buy into it.

"We got tired of listening to all this bad news and we're deciding to commit some funds into the market," he said.

Well This qutoe above is more then enough of proof that markets are rigged of posting fake fasle postives^

what more proof do you need then that comment?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I wonder if this leads to a greater centralization of the EU?

One of the major drawbacks to the Euro is that countries with different levels of economic development and different economic activities are all on the same currency. Highly developed countries with highly skilled workforces like Germany have to share a fiscal policy with less developed countries like Greece.

If the EU steps up (at the expense of national autonomy) and forces every EU country to be on the same page, this problem is somewhat mitigated.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
If you don't agree with, tell me why Japan still has a triple A status with a debt/GDP ratio of almost 200% while the US and UK are not much better off than Greece. Especially if you consider the weight of the Japanese and US economy in comparison to the Greek economy.

Why of why are these countries spared from downgrades while Eurozone countries get downgrade after downgrade. This is deflection and market manipulation at its finest.

Wait until California falls off the financial cliff. Bailout appetite in Congress is decreasing by the day and once elections come there will be no chance at all.

Just wait, what will happen here, barring any drastic action, hell even the drastic action, will make you forget about Greece.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

One of the major drawbacks to the Euro is that countries with different levels of economic development and different economic activities are all on the same currency. Highly developed countries with highly skilled workforces like Germany have to share a fiscal policy with less developed countries like Greece.

This is why a one world currency is problematic at best. The only way is to equalize the situation and kill off large sections of the world economy as well as their workforce.

Hey, so that's why these guys are into depopulation and energy use controls...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Since they created this mess and control it - couldn't they just FORGIVE and DELETE all the debt in the world, incl. Greece as I bet they could.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I hate it when companies announce the obvious. Supporting bankrupt countries is a bad idea? Thanks for the memo.

top topics

join