It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Earthquake Hit Southern California

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by America?

Anything is possible. The Elsinore Fault is alleged to be able to produce a quake exceeding 7.0.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lel1111
I'm here in L.A. and we felt it pretty good; just a ceiling fan was swaying; and my nerves. Scary. And yes - I live in L.A. and am still afraid of earthquakes -

Ya im over here in West Covina (about 15-20 from LA)
It felt more like an ocean swaying type of feel here. Nothing to big just real mellow...maybe cause were on some hill thats st8 up rock? lol

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm a bit surprised it felt that strong here in LA. Epicenter is about 200 miles from me and I was really feeling the wave.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Either the earthquakes/aftershocks just suddenly stopped, or they are not being updated.

No, they still happening. I follow USGS_EQ_SoCal on Twitter and I'm getting at least 2 or 3 every minute it seems. It's continuious!

Yes, I also noticed Twitter went down right before the event. How could they know? I too thought it very odd and coincidental.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Well I'm watching here USGSand it's pretty close to real time - they seem to still be coming in every minute or so. But yeh, lower intensity. Gonna be difficult to sleep tonite. Don't wanna go to work tomorrow; old freakin' 19 story slab concrete building.

Up until now, about 44 aftershocks since the 5.7.

Hold me. . . . ::reaches for teddy bear::

Edited to add number of aftershocks.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by lel1111]

[edit on 15-6-2010 by lel1111]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Didn't feel crap - in the valley

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67

Either the earthquakes/aftershocks just suddenly stopped, or they are not being updated.

No, they still happening. I follow USGS_EQ_SoCal on Twitter and I'm getting at least 2 or 3 every minute it seems. It's continuious!

Yes, I also noticed Twitter went down right before the event. How could they know? I too thought it very odd and coincidental.

Ah, Because, I've been refreshing continously at USGS Latest Earthquakes M3.0+ and it hasn't updated in about 10mins for me.

Can I get that twitter link?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I see the humour there, don't worry.

But then you think....and imagine....and think a bit more...have some pretty vivid images in your head....that is a huge 'oh crap' scenario. (Poor BP if it did).

I am in awe of the amount of power that the earth holds and amused by the people that complain about it (think: iceland volcano and air travel).

MM

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Check the link in my post a couple above one of yours - it's working in real time.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kaskade

You might want to have a read at the wikipedia article on the Elsinore Fault Zone which at the north end splits into Whittier (home of the Whittier Narrows quakes of '87, and Chino faults, both they say can produce a 7, and kind of cuddle Covina.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by America?
reply to post by abecedarian

I'm just thinking what if there are bigger ones to come?

I've been in LA for almost 30 years and I've never felt an aftershock stronger than the 1st one. But they always say it's possible. That's why the big ones are nerve-wracking--you know you don't want anything bigger than what you just went through.

link   
reply to post by Oozii

Sure...ugh..I show Twitter is still down even though I'm receiving them. Hmmm.

Just had a 4.0 btw.

I'll U2U it as soon as I can get into Twitter. But again it's called:

USGS_EQ_SoCal
I also follow NewEarthquake for global updates.

link   

Yea dude. It was down for an hour before the quake. How strange. I really think it was a test to see if they could do it. Maybe they had an idea it was going to happen. I know Twitter has been linked up to the National Archives. Interesting to see this happen after that.

Oh yeah and I'll mention I live in Duarte, CA. Just north of West Covina. Up in the mountains. Didn't feel anything up here.

[edit on 6/15/2010 by dbloch7986]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

reply to post by On the Edge

OMG - is it normal to have THAT many aftershocks so close together? I know aftershocks are normal but so many??

You should have seen how many there were after the last big one down that way! It was in the 1000's,at least!

I don't know what "normal" is anymore!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
So yous guys felt it?

Sound gnarly, luckily I am working on a resume and very pissed
Might have been me having a conniption with the design of WORD

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

reply to post by Oozii

Check the link in my post a couple above one of yours - it's working in real time.

Yeah, just did that, thanks alot. It's incredible how many are happening.

I remember about 8-9 years back you could hear the earthquakes coming...And one right now is hitting....wow........

3.7 2010/06/14 22:30:59 32.638N 115.915W 10.9 14 km ( 8 mi) SE of Ocotillo, CA

This little aftershocks seem to have the same spinning effect. Unless its just me or my mind playing tricks on me.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge

OMG - is it normal to have THAT many aftershocks so close together? I know aftershocks are normal but so many??

You should have seen how many there were after the last big one down that way! It was in the 1000's,at least!

Wow - now I'm going to be "On the Edge"

link   

Originally posted by On the Edge

According to this article, 500 aftershocks within 2 days after the MexiCali quake in April was a lot. Thats about 1 an hour that they considered a lot. So we'll just have to see how it goes.

[edit on 6/15/2010 by dbloch7986]

link   

reply to post by Oozii

Sure...ugh..I show Twitter is still down even though I'm receiving them. Hmmm.

Just had a 4.0 btw.

I'll U2U it as soon as I can get into Twitter. But again it's called:

USGS_EQ_SoCal
I also follow NewEarthquake for global updates.

Thanks very much
. I'll check it out later so I won't add to the traffic or whatnot.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii...

I remember about 8-9 years back you could hear the earthquakes coming...And one right now is hitting....wow........

Not feeling anything up here in the Temecula Valley.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join