It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will you bring with you when SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I was wondering what supplies will be useful when SHTF? I probably want to bring as little as possible so I'll be able to travel quickly. I was planning on taking a rifle, a few cans of spam, some fishing hooks, a flashlight, a swiss army knife, and a box of matches but what else should I bring? Any suggestions?

What are taking with you when SHTF?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

I know it isn't really supplies or anything like that, but I'd want to have a picture of my family.

Edit:

Ok, something more supply-wise. I guess I'd make sure to have toilet paper, or at least know of an alternative to use. And for the females, I'd make sure to have something for periods, or, like the toilet paper, know of an alternative.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by riddle6]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
water filter and water purification tablets

lighter incase your matches get wet

ammo for your gun....

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'd bring my laptop, because with it, i can print prictures to my wireless printer of majik symbols to overcome my foes far and wide.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

First thing first, put down our pets. The grab the bug-out bags I've had ready for some time. There's enough clothing for a week.. two changes.., enough firelighting utensils apart from matches.. like Magnifying lens, magnesium block and striker, etc, and enough tinned food for 2 days.

Then... Raid the Sports Store for camping/hunting supplies and get out of town to the mountains ASAP.

I know enough about bush tucker to survive for a couple of weeks at best while hunting for meat, and clean water isn't a problem where I'm planning to go.

Tents will go up under tree cover and each walk out of camp will have take a different direction so that paths aren't created that are easily seen at dusk on the ground or in daylight from the air.

After that, just sit it out, help others who arrive to settle in, and see how things go from there while planting vegies, etc.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I actaully have a bag with various types of ammo from 12guage to .223, i also have a gas mask, blanket, water, beef jerky, knives, gerber multitool, gun powder. duct tape, 100 ft. of rope and other things i dont remember but there are other things i would like to have but just dont have the room and not to mention how much it would weigh.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
As far as food goes I’ve seen guys with MRE’s and all sorts of other goodies, I wonder has anyone had my thought of a gallon size Ziploc of beans and rice with vitamin c tabs to supplement? Prepping takes a little doing but it has everything you need.

As far as weaponry goes IMHO the best rifle option would be a rimfire 22.
22 LR is a good choice because it is a lot quieter than centerfire ammunition and for the weight; you can carry thousands of rounds where you could only carry hundreds of the other ammunition.
It is not my first line combat weapon of choice but lets face it, if you are shooting it out against an organized group and you are solo it is your last firefight. Evasion for the win.
And in a post apocalyptic situation you could use a silencer to avoid detection while hunting varmints. Not to mention I can buy a 22LR weapon and ammo for a fraction, a small fraction of the price of a larger weapon.
Accessories for say a Ruger 10-22 are also dirt cheap scopes, magazines and extra barrels Etc. as well they are IMHO the best 22 on the market.
Clothing extra pants and shirt jacket and last but not least SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS.
Socks are invaluable especially if you have ever hiked with wet feet you understand, if not please trust me on this.
Socks can serve a multitude of other uses a narrow ditty bag of sorts, fill with rocks for a primitive weapon in a last case scenario, they can be a water filter for coarse filtering, if cotton they can be a compress, tourniquet, they can be emergency mittens.
What I’m saying is pack 3 or 4 pairs they are valuable and do not add much weight.
Iodine no explanation needed. …I hope so ayway.
Fishing hooks and line nuff said again.
2 knives 1 small maneuverable and a 12- 14 big guy. Big one for busting skulls and logs the small one for only soft work skinning, gutting Etc.
I did not mention a compass but I know where I’m at in my neck of the woods plus I can make one easy enough.
So many other things I would list but a lot of things are preference.
Youtube has several videos of other guys bags and equipment.
Most important walk around your house full on gear for an hour at least, remember this is what you will be carrying all of the time, make sure you can lift it and carry it for awhile.

(Edit) OOOOPS I FORGOT THE DUCT TAPE!!!

[edit on 15-6-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Probably my first choice would be food.....but a close second....WEAPONS.

If it does hit the fan, people will go crazy. A lot of people are already unstable. Just think of how people will go off the deep end if situation X were to occur! Definitely knives, guns, whatever you can use to protect and defend yourself will be vital.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk
lighter incase your matches get wet

If you dip them in wax they're waterproof. You just scratch the wax off before using them.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

I am so glad that I don't have that problem anymore.
You don't want to take along disposable pads.
1.The blood smell would attract animals and insects.
2.You would have to burn them to avoid the first reason.
3.Burning them could attract unwanted humans to your
hiding site.
Women would have to use those diva cups or homemade
cloth pads.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure which rifle to choose. The socks are a good idea too. As for the compass there's a way you can find south with a watch. In the summer set it back an hour and winter set it forward an hour. Point the hour hand at the sun and directly between the two hands picture an imaginary line and it will point south.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I can't wait for the S to H T F, my life's been so boring up till now. The idea of living on as some sort of underground warrior in a post-civilisation world really appeals to me.

I'd probably take a tent, a sleeping bag, my cat, a radio, a few lighters, some sort of weapon I suppose, and the love of God.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Replikant

You can't bring too many weapons though, they would weigh you down too much. I was thinking everyone in my group could carry one rifle/handgun and a knife for combat. That's excluding the Swiss army knife which could also be used as a weapon.

I think it's better to know hand to hand combat if you want to protect yourself. It doesn't take up any space.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Basically the same as most people in such a situation. But definitely a LOT of weed (and cigarettes) too.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I have started my BOB. A few cans of canned meat, ramen noodles, nuts, water, candles, knives, medical supplies, paper plates, disposable forks & spoons, plastic cups, toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, hotel shampoo's, matches.

What I need to add is a towel(s), clothes, blankets and shelter.

I guess I was thinking something I could reasonably carry on foot if necessary. If Im packing my Dodge Ram pickup.....I'd find a lot more stuff to put in it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
i would take a special forces spade thing....

a knife

a knife sharpner

flint

as much food and water

10 lighters

petrol

2 sets of clothes

compass

camo

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I forgot to mention toilet paper....but we can discuss that on the What Kind Of Toilet Paper We Should Have If SHTF thread....

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
I was wondering what supplies will be useful when SHTF? I probably want to bring as little as possible so I'll be able to travel quickly. I was planning on taking a rifle, a few cans of spam, some fishing hooks, a flashlight, a swiss army knife, and a box of matches but what else should I bring? Any suggestions?

What are taking with you when SHTF?

Ok the SHTF, where do you go ? what do you do with your tiny amount of supplies ? I fear my friend that you would be a LONG time dead before you even used your box of matches.
I'm glad at least you are asking questions and looking for help.

Search this board for help the term BOB or INCH would be very useful for a person looking to make a bag of supplies.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtaftm
i would take a special forces spade thing....

a knife

a knife sharpner

flint

as much food and water

10 lighters

petrol

2 sets of clothes

compass

camo

A special forces spade thing ? Camo ?
Hey friend, search this survival board and do a little research. The whole world of survival is massive and requires patience and a desire to learn.
Your best tools are the will to survive and your brain.

At least your asking questions.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynzer
I have started my BOB. A few cans of canned meat, ramen noodles, nuts, water, candles, knives, medical supplies, paper plates, disposable forks & spoons, plastic cups, toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, hotel shampoo's, matches.

What I need to add is a towel(s), clothes, blankets and shelter.

I guess I was thinking something I could reasonably carry on foot if necessary. If Im packing my Dodge Ram pickup.....I'd find a lot more stuff to put in it.

Why not a sturdy aluminum mug and a plastic or metal spork instead of all the disposable stuff ? Fair enough if you can whittle then you could make something out of wood.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join