It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Informal poll; Obama claims it's safe eating seafood from the gulf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
ATS should really have a poll on this

Who's this guy trying to fool? Everyone has seen the slicks and oil sludge rolling up on the shorelines not to mention the huge plumes lurking below the surface. You would have to be crazy eating seafood from the GOM.

anyway my vote is a big NO and yours?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I was watching a white house video of him doing a PR with some Gulf residents, he was holding a shrimp in his hand but I never actually saw him eat it. Can anyone confirm if he actually ate any of the shrimp on all these PR events?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Although the oil slick is big, the Gulf of Mexico is bigger. While seafood from certain parts of the Gulf is probably contaminated, seafood from other parts might still be safe.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'll keep eating seafood. I won't even know if it's coming from the Gulf because, frankly, I don't care and I never bother to ask.

Toxic chemicals never hurt anyone... hell there are enough of them in food as it is, what's a few more?

I bet it will be cheaper. Yay.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
I was watching a white house video of him doing a PR with some Gulf residents, he was holding a shrimp in his hand but I never actually saw him eat it. Can anyone confirm if he actually ate any of the shrimp on all these PR events?

I actually bought a bag of frozen shrimp at the market yesterday and made sure it wasn't from the GOM, farmed in Thailand $6.99 32-40ct was cheaper vs, gulf shrimp and I didn't notice any difference in taste whatsoever.

I know one thing for sure after watching those eels swim back and forth over the broken riser pipe I would never eat one of them.

Hey maybe Obama can help market the shrimp further and tell everyone you don't need olive oil or butter when frying them up

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Although the oil slick is big, the Gulf of Mexico is bigger. While seafood from certain parts of the Gulf is probably contaminated, seafood from other parts might still be safe.
ROFL that sorta sounded like a Tony Hayward statement!

[edit on 14-6-2010 by jeffrybinladen]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Arg! Why take a chance! Check with your local restaurants and grocery stores to make sure they buy safe food not from the Gulf of Mexico.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Nice photo op to calm the masses and say he has done his part to keep what little is left of the Gulf of Mexico fishery viable. Let him pop an oyster off a piling at the mouth of Mobile bay and snarf it down and maybe I'll be a little more impressed.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I would not eat it. Enough high quality seafood to eat without eating gulf seafood.

I agree that there are undoubtably areas of the gulf where the food is safe, but I would not trust the food companys to either tell me the truth about where they got it, not to care enough my health to do a thorough job in testing the food prior to selling it.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Never again will I eat anything from the sea.

It's already been proven that fish contain high amounts of mercury (thanx to agriculture and irresponsibility of our industrial world).

Add the BP insult to fishery, I'm done.

Sorry fisherman in the Gulf. Not ever eating fish or crustaceans again.

Eff U BP.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The locals are not even eating the very food that has sustained them through the years. So, Don't believe that Obama ate local seafood today. Those crab cakes he had were probably made with Maryland Blues flown in on AF One, the crawfish were probably previously frozen before the disaster and the shrimp were from South Carolina.

No way no how. Let's just hope today's stunt doesn't result in people getting sick because they believed Obama again.

THe seafood industry in the Gulf is dead. Sad but true because we haven't felt the full impact from this yet.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
the crawfish were probably previously frozen before the disaster

Crawfish are freshwater creatures. They do not live in the Gulf.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The only seafood I eat is from Alaska ... please tell me that is still safe!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I would say Alaska Salmon and King Crab are still safe. I know how you feel.

However, the is BP thing is going to go viral, "Earth-wide".

I hear ya and wish I could enjoy fish again. Just... that BP spoiled my taste for anything sea-wise.

But honestly, from my humble insignificant opinion, we need to enact a moratorium on all fishing for at least 5 years. The only reason I say this is because we need to bring the population of sea dwellers up to feed those of us that crave sea creatures.

I'm not a tree hugger or anything. We just need to be better stewards of the Earth.

Peace and love.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Sounds like he has been smoking some of those oil drenched pelicans again.

And that dam hole is STILL spewing millions of gallons of crap.

This really is Obama's Katrina.

Lame, useless, unresponsive, floundering & selling out the Coast guard & local law to BP's jurisdiction.

Maybe he can do a flyover like Bush did & just take an air launched dump as he passes. No one will notice anymore crap than is already there.

Both the Democrats nor Republicans work for themselves & their corporate masters & NOT for the American people & America.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Obama can eat all the sludge soaked crap he wants to till he chokes on it.

Like that healthcare betrayal without even the figleaf of a public option, let alone single payer or Universal care or any kind of cost containment.

Obama, eat all the oil sludge you want, biatch.

Thank God i voted for Nader.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Its official Obama cannot deny his own Ignorance.

Do I need to say anything more?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The fact that the oil and all the crap they've fed into the water to disperse the oil is visibly killing wildlife (from the little bits of it they're actually showing us), is enough to tell me not to go anywhere near it.

It's a shame that this is probably only the beginning of the disaster. I'm glad I've got canned and frozen stuff, because I have a feeling things are going to be "interesting."

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Okay so far we have

2 people say YEA they would consume seafood from the gulf waters

14 people say NO

Not a very good indicator so far! CMON people we need more participation in this poll!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Bump

For an interesting thread.

new topics

top topics

join