It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation. Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, Nasa has warned.

Published: 1:00PM BST 14 Jun 2010

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Scientists start work on high-tech mission to Mars instruments In a new warning, Nasa said the super storm would hit like “a bolt of lightning” and could cause catastrophic consequences for the world’s health, emergency services and national security unless precautions are taken.

Scientists believe it could damage everything from emergency services’ systems, hospital equipment, banking systems and air traffic control devices, through to “everyday” items such as home computers, iPods and Sat Navs.

Due to humans’ heavy reliance on electronic devices, which are sensitive to magnetic energy, the storm could leave a multi-billion pound damage bill and “potentially devastating” problems for governments. Read the rest of the story at
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if the great change in 2012 if anything even happens, which I doubt it. Will be our satellites being destroyed by a solar flare And we will have to restart in a way. Just a hypothetical.

Edit to add: S&F great find!

[edit on 14-6-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Perfect time to overthrow the BS that controls the world, so im sure someone will try. Gov's will be as prepared as possible. Call this that consciousness change. Maybe the only way to reach the connection to earth/spirit like they had back in the stone age is to actually be thrust back to the stone age.

No problem with that here.

Rather not hear all of the lazy narrow minded people #$%ch about this though if it DOES happen. (If it's the plan, they will.)

On the note of this causing major death and disaster, i would do what i can to help.

Im shrooming right now. I don't feel human, or like I belong here. Opened to saying exactly what i'm thinking, including the exact words forming this sentence right now.

This whole (lies, ignorance, disaster, hope, savior... nope wait, justkiddinggobackto lies and repeat) thing is getting old.

I'd love to see some actual legitimate cooperation of the human kind with no greedy strings attached.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Cross8712]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
That's interesting. A year ago an international panel of experts sponsored by NASA were predicting the next solar cylce would generate sunspots with "the lowest of any cycle since 1928"

May 29, 2009: An international panel of experts led by NOAA and sponsored by NASA has released a new prediction for the next solar cycle. Solar Cycle 24 will peak, they say, in May 2013 with a below-average number of sunspots.

"If our prediction is correct, Solar Cycle 24 will have a peak sunspot number of 90, the lowest of any cycle since 1928 when Solar Cycle 16 peaked at 78," says panel chairman Doug Biesecker of the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Never A Straight Answer

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
You know the theory that the moon is hollow and was put there by aliens?

This is my theory for why it was put there by the aliens -- to protect the Earth from solar flares.

Let's see if it starts moving to intercept..

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
If that were to happen, I wonder if paper money will still be worth anything?

Everyone here rely to electronic money: Credit Card, Debit Cart...
If that happens, there's no way we could get our money back.

Will the people who cashed out their money from the bank be the most powerful in an event like that or their money won't mater at all?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 8311-XHT

You realise the Moon is smaller than Earth right?
I'm pretty sure a strong Solar Flare would walk all over our Moon (figure of speech) and continue to head on a path for us.

Let's hope NASA and the Energy Companies work together to find a solution to the impending problem we might have to face in the next 3 years or so.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
When i was little girl,my mother kept a stash of food under the stairs,along with some basic medicine and first aid supplies,candles,torches,batteries etc.My father thought she was utterly insane but as far as my mother was concerned,being prepared would pay off if a situation where these items would be needed arose.
It didn't.Not in her lifetime.

I have followed in her footsteps in a way.
You don't have to be Einstein to see that empires fall and that Mother nature likes to cleanse from time to time so,it's pretty much a given that at some time in the future,this world will see a large-scale 'disaster' of some kind that will affect everyone.....so i believe that it is prudent to be as prepared as one can be.
I have a food store,a brain full of knowledge of 'the old ways'(before electricity and shops),fuels,a garden full of edibles,seed's....damn,i even have water purification tablets!BUT!!These things would only serve to help for so long and are the same things that others would want to steal.
We're sitting ducks really.

In the event of a lengthy power-out with no communications etc...Britain would fall to pieces,because the majority of the people that live here are utterly dependant on a the system that provides for them.
People would be scared and hungry and would do anything possible to satisfy their hunger thus quelling their fear....for a time anyway.
Money would be meaningless.

To be honest,the whole thing worries me.
I know i should let go of the fear because the universe has always provided for me before but,i have 4 children who look to me as their provider and i can imagine not being able to provide.
And it break's me.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
get your hands on a survival book. although in britain water and food are easy to find.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
get your hands on a survival book. although in britain water and food are easy to find.

I have one and am actually lucky enough to be in a good area for foraging too.I also keep an area in my garden for edible weeds so,if my veggies get plundered there is hope!!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cams

guess that just goes to show that you shouldn't believe anyone who makes predictions. i personally don't think NASA or any other agency should be in the business of making predictions. ask yourself first, should you believe these guys when they say stuff like this? have they seen the future?

top topics

join