It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro Palestinian Egyptian member of parliament slammed for bragging about beating troops on flotilla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Muslim Brotherhood MP Mohamed Beltagy, who was on Gaza-bound flotilla, recounts snatching of Navy soldiers. Egyptian newspapers not pleased with bragging, says it 'helps Israel'

A storm has been kicked up in Egyptian media after experiences on the flotilla are recounted. The version of events on the Gaza-bound flotilla as heard by an Egyptian member of parliament have evoked the ire of a number of state-run media outlets in the country because, they claim, the stories help Israeli PR efforts.

On Tuesday of last week, he was interviewed on the "10 at Night" program on the Egyptian channel Dream. During the interview, he said that the flotilla participants overtook three Israeli commandos and snatched their weapons from them. This admission of employing force against IDF soldiers has evoked a media storm among Egyptian columnists, who claim this was a "public relations gift to Israel."

The parliament member said that he and those with him took over the commando's weapon and denied that he and those with him were civilians who had not committed violent acts.

Neither did Kamal spare the Turks of criticism: "Turkey does not want the best for the Palestinians, but is interested in using the Palestinian card for the sake of its own objectives. The most important of them is to be the intermediary between the West and the East, which would grant it the ability to join the European Union."

www.ynetnews.com...

What do you think?
I'm sure some of you will say this proves nothing, and maybe it doesn't, but this will at least proof that some of the activists (those who took part in the violence) intended to be violent.
If that's true, you could start doubting some other things, right? That's the least you can do on a conspiracy forum?
Maybe there was no shooting prior to boarding? Maybe guns were snatched and shot first and only then had the commandos reacted?
As I wasn't there, I don't know for sure myself, were you there?

Keep in mind that the brotherhood of islam does not like Israel very much, and this guy has no motive to lie about any of this.

Also he speaks of Turkey's intentions, and its agenda.
To those saying this flotilla was not an attempt by Turkey at provoking Israel this should be an interesting read.

I'm not sure myself about Turkey itself, as a whole, but it was founded by a terrorist organization AFAIK..

What do you think?

With respect,
Eliad.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Eliad]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Good luck trying to convince the anti-israels on here...which are running rampent.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Smells like israeli propaganda.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Too many conflicting stories and either way I really don't think a execution style shot to the head is for grabbing someones gun.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Honestly I don't doubt they used force against the IDF.

But then again when you have soldiers boarding your ship and killing 9 of your crew mates I think it is acceptable to use force and take their weapons so they don't do any more killing.

Sounds like common sense to me

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bommer09

Originally posted by bommer09
Honestly I don't doubt they used force against the IDF.

But then again when you have soldiers boarding your ship and killing 9 of your crew mates I think it is acceptable to use force and take their weapons so they don't do any more killing.

Sounds like common sense to me

The real question is which happened first?
You can see in many of the videos that no shots are fired during entry..
Guns have been grabbed, soldiers were beaten up relentlessly..
I'm hoping we somehow find out one day...

reply to post by hippomchippo

Originally posted by hippomchippo
Too many conflicting stories and either way I really don't think a execution style shot to the head is for grabbing someones gun.

First of all yes it is.. Nobody's going to wait for you to use that gun. The people on the boat have already shown an intent to hurt the soldiers.

And where do you get this execution info? Where have you seen someone shot "execution style"? Stories? Hearsay? Is that all you have going for you?

reply to post by purplemonkey

Originally posted by purplemonkey
Smells like israeli propaganda.

The guy's from the muslim brotherhood.. No money in the world could make that guy cross over to Israel's side.
That's why no one in the Egyptian press is saying it's propaganda, they're just saying he's very stupid to have said all that on camera, as it helps Israeli PR.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Eliad,

This forum is famous for slating media operations that are heavily influenced by government. Fox, BBC etc. What are the equivalent in Israel?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I think the reason why it sounds as if there are too many conflicting stories is that the situation was chaotic. Some of the activists aboard that ship were people who really were peaceful and wanted nothing but to help the people of Gaza. Some of the people were crap-stirring thugs like this guy.

The same might be said of some of the Israelis involved in the situations. Some of the soldiers may have acted reasonably and simply wanted to defend themselves. Others may have been over zealous.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Erm..
As for newspapers I know "Haaretz" is far left wing. The rest are sort of neither left nor right.. They'd publish both left wing and right wing opinions, and they usually just report, without having a political agenda...

As for TV news- We don't have a news channel, and the TV news on the three major channels are mostly the same..
We don't have channels like FOX and CNN, that have a certain agenda, and are paid by certain people...

Is that what you were asking?
With respect,
Eliad.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I couldn't agree more..

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eliad

Erm..
As for newspapers I know "Haaretz" is far left wing. The rest are sort of neither left nor right.. They'd publish both left wing and right wing opinions, and they usually just report, without having a political agenda...

As for TV news- We don't have a news channel, and the TV news on the three major channels are mostly the same..
We don't have channels like FOX and CNN, that have a certain agenda, and are paid by certain people...

Is that what you were asking?
With respect,
Eliad.

Yes, thank you. I want to get an overview of the media in Israel. I have been using the Jerusalem Post as my source for one or two threads. How is this media outlet viewed?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I'm not sure as I don't read it much..
I've searched online and couldn't find anything regarding bias on the Jerusalem post, both in English and Hebrew.

In anyway I feel that if you want far left wing opinions you go to "Haaretz" if you want a more balanced view go to ynet.com I guess..

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Eliad]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eliad

I'm not sure as I don't read it much..
I've searched online and couldn't find anything regarding bias on the Jerusalem post, both in English and Hebrew.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
To Many anti-israels on here

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

So what? Even they can't ignore the fact that the man said that on tape, and this guys is an extreme muslim, there's no way he'd side with Israel...

I can't help but think that if this thread was about the same guy talking about the soldiers beating him, instead of him beating them, this thread would be swarming with comments and flags..

This is called a bias...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Eliad,

I think you have started a constructive dialogue regarding standards of reporting, but would want to gauge your opinion on the quality of journalism you talk about. From a UK perspective, I disagree that the coverage of the flotilla received any more coverage than North Korea torpedoing its neighbour's warship.

Do I think there's an anti-Israel bias in UK media. No and over the years there has been some very good journalism covering both sides to the conflict.

I think the real problem is when our governments intervene to spin a story for their own political gain. It happened in the UK to justify the Iraq war and it is happening in Israel to spin the events on the flotilla.

You talk about news agencies like Reuters using Palestinian runners and photographers to cover news events. In one sense that's all they can do. It is now very difficult or virtually impossible for any independent journalist to gain access to Palestine and believe me, many want to. You just have to look at embedded journalism in Iraq and see that we are only getting a glimpse of what really is happening.

Edit for typo

[edit on 16-6-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Sorry for the long time it has taken me to reply, I hadn't noticed your comment.

I'm sure that it got the same coverage on the day it happened, but what about 2 days after? When the flotilla was still in the headlines, was it even mentioned? And a week later? The flotilla was still in the headlines, was it?
That's the sort of think I was referring to.. And event like that simply gets forgotten quickly, while the flotilla is covered to pieces..
Or maybe I'm wrong.. That's just the impression I got, correct me if I'm mistaken though...

Also I believe the European media was never blamed for being pro Israeli..
I'm glad the reports are even and unbiased, that still confirms my theory that the pro Israeli bias is a myth.

I agree, the real problem is when people with an agenda call the shots. The Israeli press however is one of the most unbiased in the world, there's haaretz and ynet, the first is more left wing, anti government, the second is more moderate, neither here nor there, but would still condemn the government when had to.

In the US and Europe on the other hand there's these new channels.. FOX is run by one set of people, Sky news by another, CNN by another... And they all feel supporting one side is fine!
It's stupid..

It is difficult, but it's possible, and it happens. There were a lot of reporters in Gaza during cast lead..
They need those Palestinian photographers and runners to provide them with more sensational photos, videos and reports. They're getting exactly what they want and need from reporters who are biased.
How would you feel if the whole conflict was filmed and photographed by Israelis?

I think the media sells news just like a book store sells stories.
After 9/11 the world was shocked by terrorism. It wanted to see people who are successfully fighting terror, and the news gave them just that, they gave them the Israeli good guys vs. the Palestinian bad guys angle, which was totally biased for Israel, I agree.
But now after the bush administration, and the stupidity, and the lies, and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Americans are feeling guilty for going to war for stupid reasons, they feel like they're idiots and want to make up for it, so the news provides them with what they want, giving them the ability to be humanitarians, at the expense of common sense.

What do you think would have happened if terrorists would have bombed and brought down the Eiffel tower today? Imagine if French intelligence finds out it's a terrorist cell with relations to hezbolla and hamas?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Well said Sir. I agree that the main problem during Cast Lead was the number of biased reporters in Gaza. Your claim that "those Palestinian photographers and runners" providing "sensational" footage is clearly true & the World was sadly witness to this vulgar and sensationalist reporting.

I believe that responsible media outlets should not broadcast this kind of "sensationalist" footage (white phosphorous, bombed schools etc.) because this clearly reflects badly on Israel. This kind of reporting is patently anti-semitic.

Thank you also for highlighting the terrorist threat to the Eiffel Tower. "Imagine if French intelligence finds out it's a terrorist cell with relations to hezbolla and hamas?".

An attack on the Eiffel Tower, how awful! Is there no depth too low to which these beastly stone throwers can sink?

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Lionel]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionel

I'm not sure we're in complete agreement.
While I do think there's a shock value, and strive to sensationalism in the media, and that having Palestinian photographers and runners will definitely not be as objective as a foreign reporter might be, I also think it has nothing to do with antisemitism.
It has much more to do with knowing what the public wants, and giving it to them, much in the same way that I'm not sure if the pro Israeli stance taken by the media 8 years ago has as much to do with a Jewish lobby as it does with the 9/11 event and that feel of "the world must fight terrorism".
The media gives what the public wants.

I think the media should not limit themselves in publishing anything just because it's sensational, but I do think when doing so the media has a responsibility to show both sides of the story, for example in the case of the white phosphor, I've been told by many of my friends who were there at the time, that those areas were evacuated by the IDF using fliers, phone calls and text messages to the people living there telling them to leave their houses long before any artillery was shot.
I feel that while this won't condone Israeli actions, it would show that it was not done with malice.
Further more it is their responsibility not to take segments of video or misleading photos, and attach a provocative headline to them only for the sake of causing a stir, and getting more readers and viewers.

So there should be no limitations on the media, but I do ask for objectivity.

And there is no threat on the Eiffel tower, this was given merely an example of what shapes people's and thus the media's opinions.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Eilad, the kind of information you provide about the heroic actions of the IDF during Cast Lead is first class. I for one was not aware of the effort they went to to avoid the child casualties of the white phosphorous.

"in the case of the white phosphor, I've been told by many of my friends who were there at the time, that those areas were evacuated by the IDF using fliers, phone calls and text messages to the people living there telling them to leave their houses.. "

If these dumb goy are so rude as to ignore the polite text messages & phone calls made as a courtesy by the IDF, then perhaps the deserve to get there faces burned off! lol!!!

Seriously though, it's so annoying when people ignore phone calls & texts, as I'm sure most people will agree.

new topics

top topics

join