It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chevron dumped more than 18 billion gallons of toxic wastewater into the rainforest

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I believe this oil spill should also spotlight the other environmental and humanitarian disasters caused by oil companies around the world.

Over three decades of oil drilling in the Ecuadorian Amazon, Chevron dumped more than 18 billion gallons of toxic wastewater into the rainforest, leaving local people suffering a wave of cancers, miscarriages and birth defects.

Source

The Niger Delta in Nigeria is one of the most oil-rich regions in the world. Unfortunately, local residents have benefited very little from the area's natural resource wealth. While multinational energy corporations gain handsomely from the Delta's oil, they also despoil the environment and share their profits with only with a small class of local elites.

Source

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
thanks for this post.

it shows that its not the gulf spill, its a problem of the system.
the system of how things are gained and consumed without too much bothering.
but this system is strong, it can adapt to those problems, it always has. it brought human kind millions of years to the point of now, and i am optimistic further millions more into the future.
information, education, intelligence

[edit on 14-6-2010 by icepack]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
thanks for this post.

it shows that its not the gulf spill, its a problem of the system.
the system of how things are gained and consumed without too much bothering.
but this system is strong, it can adapt to this problems, it always has. it brought human kind millions of years to the point of now, and i am optimistic further millions of years into the future.
information, education, intelligence

Couldn't agree more with you. The system is flawed and needs correcting. We all need to be proportionate about things - educate and evolve.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
How about lets just stop using oil and plastics that way there is no more demand for this crap in the first place?

Oh wait I forgot sorry. That is out of the question isn't it?

Everyone MUST have their neat plastic stuff and their oil.

I mean what on Earth would we eat if we had no pesticides or herbicides to spray all over our food?

You see where I am going with this?

It's OUR faults this crap is happening. We keep giving them Money.

$$$$$$

We vote with our dollars. We voted these monsters into existence.

Who is guilty? Just about all of us.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Chevron's BS claim

Protecting People and the Environment

We place the highest priority on the health and safety of our workforce and protection of our assets and the environment. We aim to be admired for world-class performance through disciplined application of our Operational Excellence Management System.

I'd have to give them credit for the loophole of only referring 'people' as actually meaning 'their' people, and not the worthless natives who inconveniently live there , of course.

Chevron Canada spews BS about 'Community Engagement'

Chevron's commitment to community engagement and corporate responsibility is driven by the Chevron Way, a set of values that are the foundation of the company's vision: to be the global energy company most admired for its people, partnership and performance. Chevron views community engagement as a key element to our long-term success. We strive to develop strong relationships that support basic human needs, education, skills training and to promote economic development through community capacity-building.

Chevron Canada Limited, through both its Upstream (exploration and production) and its Downstream (manufacturing and marketing) businesses, has long been committed to supporting local communities where we have interests, operations and employees. Chevron commits resources - people, money and assets - over and above those that are provided directly though our products, services and operations to improve the strength of the community. The goal is to be a partner and neighbor of choice.

This is from their 'Community Engagement' page.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Unreal stuff. But what do you expect from the oil mongers?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It amazes me how greedy the human race can be. Were on this Earth together and destroying it with them on it, their dooming everyone because of their greed.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to light, OP. I have e-mailed the website URL to everyone I know and asked that they not purchase gas from any Chevron station.

Apparently the amount of waste they have dumped is 10 times the amount that has leaked into the ocean from the BP well. Absolutely unbelievable how little regard for humanity and the planet these corporations have.

This is truly a time of sadness and despair.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
Thanks for bringing this to light, OP. I have e-mailed the website URL to everyone I know and asked that they not purchase gas from any Chevron station.

Apparently the amount of waste they have dumped is 10 times the amount that has leaked into the ocean from the BP well. Absolutely unbelievable how little regard for humanity and the planet these corporations have.

This is truly a time of sadness and despair.

Hey, I couldn't believe it too. But it is only until you educate and evolve and dig around the internet enough that you begin to realize the true magnitude of damage we are doing to people and the environment.

Email, baby. Email!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well at least now an alternative has been found to the plastic
portion of the problem which consumes about 10% of the oil
used in the United States. I posted a thread about this new product and received some replies. Given the potential of this product, it deserves more (or some) attention from the MSM:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
There's a documentary about this whole situation called Crude, released back in 09 for those who are interested.

Movie Info + Trailer

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I can't believe this thread isn't getting more coverage here at ATS. In fact, I'm outraged.

Typical mentality: Oh, our U.S. oil spill is so much more important -- we the U.S. of A., kings of the world, fat and lazy consumers -- that we need not worry about what is happening in someone else's backyard (because there's no profit in it for us).

Shame on you ATS, shame on you....

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I didn't want to read it.
I didn't want to see more evidence of man's pure stupidity, rash behavior, ignorance, and absolute EVIL man is perpetuating world wide.

I'm almost to the point (after reading this) that I'd agree with those who think mankind should be wiped off the face of the earth. Ever last one of us.

But I can't go that far.
I still have to have hope some of us can save Earth, somehow...

Thank you so much for this thread.

It should be front page.

peace

EDIT TO ADD: Here's a link where you have a few places to watch CRUDE for free.

I suggest trying #2 Loombo link first. It's working for me. Got it running as I type...

Be back later to comment...

peace

[edit on 17-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Everybody knows that Oil is dirty business regardless of the clean and beautiful pastures that oil companies love to post when doing propaganda.

Oil is dirty, plain and simple, but is kept hidden behind the shadows and away from the prying eyes of the regular gas consumer.

But when something like the Exxon Valdez and the gulf leak happen then people starts to turn their heads to see the reality of how much it cost to human and wild life the gas that goes into cars motors.

Will this be the turning point into cleaner energy? I doubt it, why? because is actually no really any reliable clean energy out there at all.

Been oil the backers of Major economies in the world and how fortunes are made that is the way is going to be for along time.

Perhaps is time to start education the population of our countries of what goes into having that gas at their local gas station's pumps and how devastating is oil drilling around the world.

To the OP, thanks for the thread, let remember also that in America most politicians are oil stock holders and Oil is one of the biggest body of lobbying body in Washington

top topics

join