It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I found the Loch Ness Monster on Google Earth!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Size is measurable...it's easily done using the measuring tool on google earth. I found the average size of most of them to be around 100 feet give or take 20 feet. Of course that doesn't measure any parts of the body that may not be visible to due factors such as coloration and depth.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I just posted some photos from a nearby body of water.

I think I have seen these sorts of things when scuba diving. Not sure though, because long strings of seaweed in the water may not look like much from the sky.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
you did a lot of work and i was intrigued enough to watch your video, even though my own research into this phenomenon has pretty much convinced me that there are other explanations for the sightings and the legend.

i am not a person who is overly skeptical or cynical - i do have a credible attitude which means i am willing to accept the unusual or seemingly impossible as long as there is some sort of empirical evidence to support the idea.

and if there is empirical evidence that precludes said idea, i am not closed to more investigation but am also not easily convinced.

in the case of lake monsters, of which Nessie is just the most famous, it appears there are a couple of things that might be fooling our eyes.

the main one is that of water-logged logs and tree trunks sitting on the bottom of the lake bed. at a certain point in their water-decay, or change, there happens some sort of gas exchange that sends them bobbing actively to the surface where they roll about, this way and that way, until the gas that gave them bouyancy is played out, whereupon they sink back down to the bottom.

i've seen pictures of this, proven to be wood, and they often look much like pictures of Nessie, Champ, et. al. alleged sightings, especially if there is one or more large branch-stumps protruding from the main log.

also, there is a very good chance that the loch does not have the right conditions to be able to support a food source large enough to sustain such a large animal such as a Plesiosaur, especially a breeding population of Plesiosaurs, which would require a very large regenerating food source.
there just aren't that many fish in the loch! or even eels.
there have been studies done in the loch and other freshwater lakes where monster sightings have long been reported and the general consensus is that the environment could not sustain such a creature.

also, the nature of a land-locked freshwater lake is one of decreased oxygenation in the water, especially at the bottom - a Plesiosaur would require a lot of oxygen, too.

<< 1  2   >>

join