It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I take a gamble and BUY some BP shares...??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

IllusionsareGrander

That link you provided was fascinating...... It does make you wonder what is really going on but alas we mere mortals willprobably never know the truth until it's too late......
I understand that to change the world, the way in which things are done , the staus quo then we ALL need to abstain from participating in the consumer society we all belong to.
I find that hard, not because I don't agree but because how can I change any system from the outside..?? You have to work from within and I have found that philantrophy (bad spelling) when used well can achieve lots...... it's not just and easing of guilt but a challenge to 'MAKE A DIFFERENCE'...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

This is an exercise in perceptions, much like your photo avatar thingy...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

You can justify it any way you like. The few shares you will be able to buy have not enough voting power to change the actions of BP. And how many stockholders meetings have you ever attended? You wont go and raise your lone and brave voice.

The vote you have, that does have some minuscule power, is your right NOT to buy BP, but to invest in some other, less damaging company.

You can rationalize it all you want. And I am not even telling you what to do. I know better than that. Your greed will lead you to what you, in your shortsightedness, perceives to be your best interests. Even knowing that you are supporting bad practices. (all the evidence of BPs ignoring safety issues brought up by the employees)

Do what you like, its your money, its your life, and its your world too. But dont be a hypocrite about it if you do. Dont come on the board later moaning that greed and corruption is ruining _________, and that you dont understand how evil can be so prevalent. Just remember your thinking here, if you ever want to know what the "elite" tell themselves to rationalize screwing the many for their own gain.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

You can justify it any way you like. The few shares you will be able to buy have not enough voting power to change the actions of BP. And how many stockholders meetings have you ever attended? You wont go and raise your lone and brave voice.

The vote you have, that does have some minuscule power, is your right NOT to buy BP, but to invest in some other, less damaging company.

You can rationalize it all you want. And I am not even telling you what to do. I know better than that. Your greed will lead you to what you, in your shortsightedness, perceives to be your best interests. Even knowing that you are supporting bad practices. (all the evidence of BPs ignoring safety issues brought up by the employees)

I NEVER justify anything because if i have too, then I know I have made a bad and ill-informed decision.
My decision to buy or not to but (to quote a famous writer) is not decied by the ability to influence Corporate meetings, no no no - it is based on the ability to grow wealth and use that to enable others to better themselves, support themselves, change situations etc etc... I personnally in my life have earn't money to live, pay the bills, enjoy myself and also be able to help others. I donate around 15% of my income in this way and learn't to do so from an early age. I was able to live within my means and yet still contribute to society.
My concern and urgency here to respond to your comments are bourne out of a deep frustration and dissatisfaction that the terrible oil disaster was CAUSED by the AMERICAN people and the Western WORLD's desire for energy. American POLITITCIANS and policy makers should be shameful of their inadequacey to set guidlelines and REGULATIONS prohibiting companies like BP, Exxon, and others from doing what they have done.
I think that you have been BLINDED by the fever and your short-sightedness to do anything but berate others is a poor show on your part.

PurpleDog UK

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

My concern and urgency here to respond to your comments are bourne out of a deep frustration and dissatisfaction that the terrible oil disaster was CAUSED by the AMERICAN people and the Western WORLD's desire for energy. American POLITITCIANS and policy makers should be shameful of their inadequacey to set guidlelines and REGULATIONS prohibiting companies like BP, Exxon, and others from doing what they have done.
I think that you have been BLINDED by the fever and your short-sightedness to do anything but berate others is a poor show on your part.

You are wrong. This disaster was not caused by American politicians. This disaster is caused by untold numbers of people who think exactly the way you do. That their greed and willingness to overlook or even support destructive behaviors just to turn a profit is somehow justified, and that they can take blood money and make it clean. Our politicians and yours too, are a symptom of the disease so many otherwise good people have, not the cause of it.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

So without putting to finer point on it....

What's your solution ?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Without getting too airy fairy, the answer is to be, completely, what you want to see in the world. If you want to see kindness, be kind, if you want to see ethical behavior, be ethical, if you want to see people and the environment matter more than profit, act that way.

Invest your money in something that will help the world, in a company that has good business practices, that is dedicated to responsible behavior.

You may not "get rich quick" but those kinds of companies benefit all of us in other ways besides quick gains in the market. They set precedence, they influence others, they treat their employees better, which in turn stimulates economies in lasting ways.

Not everyone considers what it is worth to be someone you can be proud of. Someone whom you can admire, and whose actions reflect their own values. Be that, and encourage others to be that. There is no savior coming to redeem us. It is something we are going to have to do ourselves. One individual at a time.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Without getting too airy fairy, the answer is to be, completely, what you want to see in the world. If you want to see kindness, be kind, if you want to see ethical behavior, be ethical, if you want to see people and the environment matter more than profit, act that way.

Invest your money in something that will help the world, in a company that has good business practices, that is dedicated to responsible behavior.

You may not "get rich quick" but those kinds of companies benefit all of us in other ways besides quick gains in the market. They set precedence, they influence others, they treat their employees better, which in turn stimulates economies in lasting ways.

Not everyone considers what it is worth to be someone you can be proud of. Someone whom you can admire, and whose actions reflect their own values. Be that, and encourage others to be that. There is no savior coming to redeem us. It is something we are going to have to do ourselves. One individual at a time.

I am who I am..... i open doors for old people (used to be old ladies but then that was seen as sexist and I might have a litigation against me), I do not kills spiders, i feed wild birds, i grow things, i appreciate the world, nature, I rear Soay sheep, I talk to people on trains, in lifts etc etc. I buy ethical products, teabags from the far flung reaches of the world, I sponser goats and chicken farming in Africa, I work in the Medical field and make a difference to people on a daily basis.

I have invested in 'ethical' companies.... one of the most revered is Johnson & Johnson Medical - an American Institiuition. Do you know that they sell a plastic cover in the UK and Globally for covering medical trays. They charge twice the price of the only other competitor and are willing to go to court to prevent any competition...... a plastic cover...... an ethical company..... please.........

The only way forward is to empower people and give them the ability through finance, knowlegde or both and incentivise them to push change....

I'm not trying to get rich quick, I'm being SMART and positioning myself to help others and move the world forward..... you can be airy fairy if you want but if your SERIOUS then you have to play the game (unfortunately) to be in with a chance of winning....

You know, were on the same side, it's just you want a clean fight BUT without me you anint got a hope in hell.....

All the best

PurpleDog UK

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I disagree that you or anyone using that reasoning would be my "hope in hell."

It is because of people using your reasoning that there is little hope. On some level, you know that. You are the very thing you decry.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Sorry to be pedantic but

I'm am the very thing that you decry...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

PurpleDog UK

Uh, yeah.

Whatever it takes to look yourself in the mirror everyday pal.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

You should buy shares of every oil company right now. If BP goes back up you make money, if BP goes under the world still uses the same ammount of oil so other oil companies would be selling more more importiantly you make money.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Haa, I always think about shares and the 'what ifs' and constantly mention them yet... Dont really know much about them.
BP may be at a low price but guessing if the company will actually go broke.. I dont think they will.
The prices will fluctuate as news breaks.

But what I would also think about is why not get shares in another Oil company?
If BP went under, thered be less compitition and someone like 'Shell' could buy some stock or whatever that may enable share price growth.

But I wouldnt gamble.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
with the CEO resigning and bp selling some assets...would it be a good time to sell?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join