It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I take a gamble and BUY some BP shares...??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Should I take a gamble and BUY some BP shares...??

news.bbc.co.uk

Serious Question folks................... I am not looking for a Financial Advisor however based on the sheer scale of information on BP's disaster, actions, dividends etc etc and on the fact that the share price is VERY low for such a high value company.............. see attached link..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
should I buy some BP shares and make a quick killing when the Global (NOT local) public become more de-sensitised to what is happening and the Wall Street Whizz kids move in for a quick buck !!!

I mean in a month or so when the world moves on then share prices can quickly fluctuate and the potential to do well will surely present itself for anyone savvyy..

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
You could very well get rich if and when the korporate kings enact the next age of energy. I think BP is now considered an expendable asset to the money lords, and will be allowed to flounder, if opnly for the reason of cooling public rage.. let the people curse BP while the real perpetrators plan the next chess move.

I say do it if you got some extra cash?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
YES!

To elaborate, they are not liable for all this damage they are claiming they will cover. There is a fund in place to cover it. Also, they are drilling relief wells that will tap this rich reserve, while everyone else is banned from drilling. Plus, they are surely "too big to fail," so the UK and US governments will surely help them out of this jam.

The shares are a bargain, the company isn't going anywhere, and they are just as safe as any other share in this inflated stock market!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
if you do it, you should also buy some protection on the downside. Catching a falling knife can be tricky business. I would wait to see if they hit single digits first.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I think what you replied with makes alot of sense, but the only downside I guess is the 'over-inflated market currently'.
If true then any bargain is dubious !!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So far as oil disasters go, I would say yes. Just look at Exxon Valdez as an example.....Exxon Mobile is the most profitable business globally.

money.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

For such a MASSIVE company do you really think that they will hit single / double digits ??!!

The capitalisation of this company is huge, with or without an ecological disaster to contend with.........

I am sort of tempted to take a 'punt' on this and see what happens.....

If I get lucky I can donate some of the profits...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
if you do it, you should also buy some protection on the downside. Catching a falling knife can be tricky business. I would wait to see if they hit single digits first.

This is key.... I learned this during the financial crisis... and it was an expensive lesson.

I'm going to by BP as well... just not yet.... we are no where in site towards any kind of certainty with this thing....

Way too many variables in the air to buy now... there's a presidential meeting on wedndesday... there's the fact the leak still hasn't stopped... the states are asking for money in the billions... 2 billion for LA, 1 BIl for Florida... who knows what AL and MS will ask for....

Just way to much uncertainty right now...

Now what you might want to do is dollar cost averaging... buy 5 shares now... 5 shares next week.... 5 shares the week after..... etc....

But I still think it's too early to even do that at this point...

Disclaimer : I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE STOCK MARKET....other than how I run my own finances...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

I think what you replied with makes alot of sense, but the only downside I guess is the 'over-inflated market currently'.
If true then any bargain is dubious !!

Correct. All your eggs, one basket, sort of thing. I am still putting a little money into the market, but it has had some wild ups and downs, so I have scaled way, way back. More of my money is going to bullets and rice than before!

In all seriousness, I really do hedge my bets. You can't go wrong with bullets, rice, survival gear, solar power, home repairs, good tools, etc. I spend a decent amount of every check on that stuff, but you also need to prepare for the world to continue on without any significant changes, therefore I still put some money in the market, pay my health insurance, keep my debts in check, etc., etc.

Prepare for all scenarios, and you can't go wrong. If SHTF tomorrow, I can survive, if it doesn't, I gotta be able to pay for my kids college, and retire some day!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
there is a limited liability imposed by american law of 75 million dollars

Senator: BP not waiving $75 million liability cap
Posted May 10, 2010, 7:35 AM PT by Jed Lewison • First broadcast: May 9, 2010
Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) says he is skeptical that BP will make good on its pledge to pay for economic damages from its oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, adding that CEO Tony Hayward would not commit to paying for any costs above its $75 million liability cap.

bp has reserves beyond beyond
the price per gal in the us is likely to be 6 to 8 per gal in a mounth or two

they just shut off the trans alaska pipe line
there are 29 miles worth of tankers end to end 80 million gallons each LOADED witing for the price to go up

the alberta tar sands are number 2 in the world proven reserves
the have 50 billions sunk into that place
just waiting for the price to go up

the arabs need 70 bucks a barrel to break even

the bilderburgers just voted to go into Iran
the american armed forces run on oil
that ll shut that flow off there too...

nawwww the price of oil is gonna fall off a cliff

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I personally think you should liquidate all your assets and put it all in BP. Now. You will become fabulously wealthy if you do.

*disclaimer- I am not a market analyst, and I have a dislike of people in general who seek profit in the misery of others on moral grounds-use advice accordingly.*

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Thankyou,
Solid advice I think..... I understand the dollar/pound cost averaging idea....... it's a bit like taking the 'mean' average of a group of numbers over time....... I did get 'O'-level maths when exams meant something!!!!

There are alot of varables but I cannot see the USA government actually destroying BP regardless of the Rhetoric and anger........ i guess it is a wait and see situation .......

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I understand your sentiment and would just like to calm you by saying that I too am not a GREED monger, but if I can make a positive difference and use it for good then hey..... that's got to be OK isn't it ???

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
YES!

To elaborate, they are not liable for all this damage they are claiming they will cover. There is a fund in place to cover it. Also, they are drilling relief wells that will tap this rich reserve, while everyone else is banned from drilling. Plus, they are surely "too big to fail," so the UK and US governments will surely help them out of this jam.

The shares are a bargain, the company isn't going anywhere, and they are just as safe as any other share in this inflated stock market!

I think you make several valid points.

However, I think a far less riskier approach would be to buy mostly the shares of BP's competitors. No matter how this turns out for BP, the others just won the lottery with government regulation surely limiting new entrants and new drilling in the region.

There's nothing like a government backed quasi-monopoly.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
YES!

I agree 100%, I was telling people exactly this just the other day LOL.

Getreadyalready you sir have a very good economic mind.

I would go wild buying BP stock right now. Hogwild!

What are the Rules for making $$$ in the stock market.

1) Buy when low , sell when high.
2) Be able to determine if a company will go so low it is liquidated or not.

In the case of BP liquidation is NOT even being considered seriously.

Therefore the stock will probably fall a little bit more. But soon? It will come skyrocketing back up.

People are so desperate to make a $$$, that they will be pouring $$$ into BP again in hopes of gaining some quick cash.

So it is inevitable that BP will have a resurgence of it's stock ANYTIME soon...

Let's wait and see what happens and see where our guesstimates land us.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Im sure thats what any number of investors tell themselves when they purchase shares in companies that behave in ways that harm us all.

"I will use my portion of the proceeds from unethical (or otherwise damaging behavior) for good, therefore profiting from unethical (or otherwise damaging behavior) cant be wrong? Can it?"

It overlooks the simple fact that if people support with their purchases, companies that make less money currently, but who behave in more ethical and less damaging ways, those companies would gain a competitive advantage and pull the standards up.

If you want to live in a world where people arent just resources to be exploited, and the ends dont justify the means, you have to act that way yourself. You cant buy into that system and pretend because you dont have blood or oil on your hands that you are not directly supporting that behavior.

My two cents.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Wait until the leak is plugged and initial liability estimates have been confirmed, but then yes, definitely.

Don't do it in the anticipation of a short term win however, you'll need to leave it in for at least a year to get the full benefit, but their stock will recover.

One word of caution - everyone else has the same idea, and when everyone has the same idea you rarely make any money.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Hey if what was linked to SO is true,

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=9019139#pid9019139

Just think of all the money you will make!

You can completely ignore the fact that all of the destruction in the gulf and the economic impacts upon the people in those regions were deliberately caused just to get permission to get TWO wells in production knowing your liability was limited!

Life is so nice when you dont care about anything but profit. I wonder why more people dont choose that? Suckers. Right?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Am I missing something here?

Am I reading what I think I'm reading?

I have a question. Why would anyone want to buy stocks in a company who's need for power and greed has cost all of us so much?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join