It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoaxing - An important educational tool

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outrageo
By examining hoaxes closely we learn to recognize them. Then, when similar circumstantial evidence presents itself, we can 'troubleshoot' it more efficiently. By process of elimination, then, we eliminate "hoaxes" and can focus our attention on the remaining "unexplaineds".

Agreed, which is why I think it is worth looking at poor hoaxes, previously discredited hoaxes and admitted hoaxes.

We can learn from them how the hoaxes are created, which helps prove the truth behind the better hoaxes.

I feel that many, many members of ATS could learn a lot by spending more time in the HOAX forum section of ATS...

All the best,

Isaac

edit on 29-7-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
Am I alone in perceiving a considerable rise of skepticism on UFO Internet forums (including here on ATS) in relation to UFO videos and photos during the last few years?

Personally, I think that various high profile hoaxes in recent years (including the Drone photo hoax and the Haiti UFO video) have resulted in less willingness to take photographic evidence of UFOs at face value.

The sheer volume and sophistication of hoaxed UFO videos and photos appears to have reached the point that fewer and fewer people are prepared to jump to the conclusion that a photo is (a) genuine and/or (b) really shows something extraordinary.

I'd be interested in hearing whether this is a trend that has been perceived by others on ATS during the last few years.

All the best,

Isaac

Personally, I find the preponderance of Hoaxes overwhelming. How many youtube videos do we see showing obvious fakes titled "NEW evidence!" or "Finally, REAL proof!"? It makes being skeptical not just easy, it makes it madatory if you want to actually research the topic.

So, yes, we have to take each new video with a grain of salt. It does have the unfortunate side effect of possibly labelling something real as a hoax but I think the blame for that must rest neatly on the shoulders of the army of hoaxers determined to get youtube fame. its somehow become a hobby to "hoax the believers," probably because after seeing some of the most shockingly obvious fakes I see endless comments from drooling believers unable to see anything as other than the gospel truth because they saw it in a video.

If we are to truly research this we certainly need the impossible; a hoax-free source of videos, stills and witness accounts to examine.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join