It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lets do the unthinkable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I said many time here( and you guys did too) that a nuke to stop the leak was not a bright idea.Im sorry im not of a thread guy but you have to look at this:www.viewzone2.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So what solution do you propose?

The nuclear option is perhaps a bad idea (not certain of that though), but it's at least one solution to the problem.

I do not believe for one moment that allowing this fiasco to continue well into the fall before anything (IF anything) can be done at that time to stem the inexcusable amount of oil from gushing into the eco-system is the only option we should be exploring.

So I ask again, what is YOUR solution to the problem?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The only technology we have to seal it is a nuke. But, if it creates a bigger hole, you can say goodbye to the earth.

So,

Kill it slowly, or

Stop it with the risk of killing it quickly.

Personally, this is straight up Karma. And whats coming around hasn't hit yet.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
And irradiating the entire coastline for 500 years is going to help in what way ?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
And irradiating the entire coastline for 500 years is going to help in what way ?

IMHO, it will not harm the coast any more than several hundred million gallons of crude.

Mexican standoff in the Gulf of Mexico.

How appropriate.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Cynic]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Radiation and all this oil mess as well - I don't think so! It may not work - after all its never been done, right? If they can't repair an oil leak what makes you think they would know the right way to nuke it. We're going to loose people and wildlife in the gulf states - radiation could take wipe out the entire country. Come on let's get real - I wouldn't let these people walk my dog!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There is nothing anyone can do. BP will continue to go thru the motions but its just for show. Obama will speak and offer hope- that will be a lie.
Its done and there is no repair possible of this volcano. You might as well resign to that fact.

Death by the very thing we started wars all over the world for. Ironic.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
using a nuke to save us, lol the irony. i still can't see how a nuke will stop the leak. if anything it would blow the well wide open and instead of a small leak, you're going to have all that oil coming out at the same time.

people say it will implode on itself but what good is that going to do when the well has positive pressure and five thousand feet of water pushing down on it. wouldn't this just force all the oil out? unless the nuke can vaporize ALL the oil in that well and turn it into smoke, the oil is going to come out with or without the nuke. of course adding a nuke will only worsen the situation with radiation.

someone please explain to me how nuking the well will keep the oil down there?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If it is really like it is said in the article then we should work together global to close up the mexican gulf with all the power we have.
Dont know if this is possible but it will save the rest of the oceans and the oil instead of injecting it with dispersant should be alowed to surface so it can be collected with the tools we have.

Am i dreaming here?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Mabey a firery Asteriod or Comet will come plug up the hole????
Would that not fix the problem naturally, Earth say approx. a 2 mile wide by 1 mile thick Celestial envite!!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Maybe this is just me being ignorant, but wouldn't a nuke make the hole bigger?

Not to mention the fallout that close to the shore. 3,000 feet of water isn't enough to cap off a nuke of any size large enough to blow the ground down there.

I think a nuke is a horrendously stupid idea. Even my favorite author, Michio Kaku agrees with that...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by godddd

Originally posted by godddd
If it is really like it is said in the article then we should work together global to close up the mexican gulf with all the power we have.
Dont know if this is possible but it will save the rest of the oceans and the oil instead of injecting it with dispersant should be alowed to surface so it can be collected with the tools we have.

Am i dreaming here?

I keep seeing this idea popping up on different threads. Make a land bridge from Florida to Cuba and then to Cancun. This would seal the oil off from the ocean. Turn the GoM into one giant lake. The only problem I see (other than the logistics of actually pulling it off) is what do we do with all the water flowing in from the Mississippi River?

The Mississippi River discharges the headwater flows from about 41 percent of the contiguous 48 states. On a long-term daily basis, discharges in the Mississippi River average 470,000 cubic feet per second (cfs). A peak discharge of approximately 1,250,000 cfs occurs on the average of once every 16 years downstream of New Orleans. Source

That's 3,515,844.16 US gallons per second. How long before that much water starts affecting the coastline? How much land will it displace?
[edit on 6/14/2010 by darkelf]

[edit on 6/14/2010 by darkelf]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
up till now I was thinking wile this is a bad bad thing I really didnt think it would be a world ending event .
rummers were abound saying just the things that article was talking about.
Man this is worse then any scifi horrer movie I ever seen and I am livine it.
Looks like the count down on man may have begone .
God knows I hope there wrong I do hope its not nearly what there saying its turning into but the videos coming from the well head are showing this may be the case more and more.
Forget nuks our only hope now is the relife wells being below the damaged section of pipe and the longer that takes the worse the pip will get .
my understanding now is they think the pip is damaged up to 1000 feet below the ground leavel .and the relife wells are being drilled to a 5000 foot leavel time is of the essec as the sand blasting pip gets worse and worse .
looks like every one here may finly get there death wish .
well one way or the other we will know soon .

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder

I think a nuke is a horrendously stupid idea. Even my favorite author, Michio Kaku agrees with that...

And there are many that also believe he is not only full of himself, but full of hot air.

Personally, I think he just likes to hear himself talk.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
*Duplicate post, sorry about that*

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Cynic]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

well that would not be a problem as it can stil flow into the oceans.
Close it with boom but alot larger amd a large flap underneeth with weights.
If the oil is alowed to surface it wont affect the rest of the oceans and we are able to collect it.
I dont know if something like this can work but using a nuke?

top topics

join