It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schadenfreude.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

I disagree with that. Living together in peace does not require you to be nice to everybody. Tolerance and respect are the key.

I know we are a long way from it but I know a lot of people that do live like that.
However I think it is dumb to offer it to people who would not do the same in return.

People being territorial is also an overstatement. Migration is and always has happened.
Wars are started by governments. However it is a human thing to violent.

Like in the matrix. Where the human mind only accepted a reality filled with fear, danger and excitement instead of a Utopia.

I think this is all stupid. I don't understand.
From my point of view it is possible. But... I would still laugh if they brake a leg or behave as an idiot. I don't mind when others do the same when I screw up.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

However I think it is dumb to offer it to people who would not do the same in return.

Then you are rewarding those who give you what you want, and punishing those who do not...thus your main goal is not to be peaceful no matter what, but to get what you want...and once you have attained that goal, in a few years, you'll find that you want some new thing from others (better yard care, innovative hair color), and you will reward those already peaceful neighbors who give you that new thing, and withhold love from those who do not...yes?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

No no. It is different. I don't reward anyone I don't punish either.

I'll start any introduction tolerant and respectful. The respect will last until they proof me otherwise. I do use a lot of intuition when someone just doesn't feel good I do not mingle.
The reason I said not to offer to someone who doesn't
I'm not talking about making someone my enemy. The respect stays but I'm in it for the long run. I'd like to prevent that guy to be able to mess up life as I know it. I don't want my children wearing a Burqa you know. When I get shot at I'd like to eliminate the source.
Respect for will stay unless physical danger is eminent.

You can still live in peace without reward or punishment.

[edit on 6/15/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Having drowned once myself, I don't find it at all funny, but I was still half-grinning in disbelief. WHAT a dumbass!! I kept thinking. "WTF?? Why don't you just drop the camera and head for the surface?" I kept asking the video. Yeah, I even laughed in exasperation, "You have GOT to be kidding me!"

I guess I didn't want to believe what I was seeing.

I think they use this guy's death as a training film for scuba divers now, and I'm pretty sure nobody in that class is laughing.

— Doc Velocity

That is a phenomenon I have noted in other very dangerous situations.

I think we deride people in those situations because we need to believe, we need to fool ourselves into believing, that IF you think and act in certain ways, that cannot happen to you.

Blaming the victim is a psychological protection, and it is tied to "learning" in an odd way. We focus on what the person did or did not do, and we pretend that if we never do those things, we can avoid being in their shoes. (Even though we have all had lapses of judgment and if we are reading this, have just been LUCKY enough to survive them)

That phenomenon is related to our psychological need to pretend we are in total conscious control over our lives. Because the truth is, we arent, and luck plays a huge role in our survival.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join