It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA Pressured to Open US Skies to Drones

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

FAA Pressured to Open US Skies to Drones

www.military.com

June 14, 2010
Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- Unmanned aircraft have proved their usefulness and reliability in the war zones of Afghanistan and Iraq. Now the pressure's on to allow them in the skies over the United States.

The Federal Aviation Administration has been asked to issue flying rights for a range of pilotless planes to carry out civilian and law-enforcement functions but has been hesitant to act. Officials are worried that they might plow into airliners, cargo planes and corporate jets that zoom around at high altitudes, or helicopters and hot air balloons that fly as low as a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Well, here we are facing one of the most slippery slopes there might ever be when it comes to domestic law enforcement and security.

If you build it, they will come, rings hauntingly true in the United States Government quest to open up domestic skies over America to a wide range of unmanned drone flights, with potential local and Federal law enforcement uses being considered, as well as counter terrorism and immigration.

Yet do we really want, and will we be well served, by having remote controlled unmanned aircraft flying our skies equipped with sophisticated imagery devices and lethal weapons? Are we well served by having the human element of law enforcement one step more removed from the very people they ostensibly exist to protect and to serve?

It’s far easier to get the badge number of the errant officer violating your rights, than to have any chance of direct accountability in regards to a remote controlled drone pilot, sitting anonymously in some bureaucratic office building setting, miles and miles away from the actual situation on the ground.

Harkin back to yesteryear, would we really have taken out John Dellinger or Bonnie and Clyde with remote controlled drones, just to get the drop on them quicker and more efficiently and without having to put law enforcement personnel at danger?

What though about collateral damage, to the errant civilian or innocent bystanders who just happen to be too close to a ‘target’ of opportunity from some remote bureaucrat to pass up?

Eyes in the sky, cameras on every street corner, drones flying above us in the air, all controlled by feckless, faceless, bureaucrats and government officials who have long pursued their own agendas and power regardless of the will of the voters, is in fact our presently descending reality here in the United States.

Is it though, the reality we really want?

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here's a news story in relation to the topic...

Police use of unmanned spy drones won’t expand beyond Houston, yet

Here's a curious little story out of Collin County about the Sheriff's Department being turned down by the Federal Aviation Administration to use federal stimulus money to purchase "unmanned drones," for heaven knows what purpose. According to the McKinney Courier-Gazette (June 16), Sheriff's Office "officials said the department withdrew their request application from the Collin County Commissioner's Court to seek a federal stimulus grant to purchase the devices because FAA regulations have listed the majority of Collin County's skies as restricted airspace."

I can't say its something I'm all for.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Thanks for posting that friend. I think it’s a given that many major cities would love to hop on these drones for their law enforcement departments, especially if the Federal Government will pay for them with stimulus money.

I imagine that police departments are eyeing them as something just as capable of doing surveillance and even clocking speeders from the air as helicopters, but with less cost operating, and more versatility in application and length of time in the air.

I myself am dead set against drones flying our domestic skies. There is too little accountability in law enforcement and government already, without providing them yet another layer of anonymity and deniability.

Too many of the weapons being used in the War Zones for crowd control and surveillance are ending up being deployed in the United States.

It’s like to old saying, give someone an inch and they are bound to take a mile. This is not the kind of device I would want to see so abused, and the only way to make sure it is not so abused, is to never allow the first inch and for them to start using them.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Every day that goes by, civilian law enforcement gets more and more militarized.

The science fiction writers had it correct, unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OurskiesRpoisoned

They say life imitates art and I wonder to what extent that is true, or if conversely it is industry and corporate government using art to pave the way for conditioning people to the idea of things they would like to see come to pass?

It is a very frightening control grid being built up around us, the kind that by the time we realize just how all encompassing it has become, will likely be far too late for us to do anything to reverse it.

Thankfully the FAA for the time being is more concerned about drones smashing into the regular commercial and private flights it governs, even if none of our politicians is concerned about the rapidly growing and expanding, electronic control grid police state.

Of course I suppose with what many have had to contend with in the way of frustrated and displeased voters at town hall meetings, the politicians are happy for anything that might control the growing restless masses.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
These may prove extremely helpful in protecting the United States Borders.
I don't really see anything wrong with it as long as they are not weaponized.
Used for recon only these could come in handy.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Either we are more at risk, our borders having been fully infiltrated by illegals or "we the people" have become a clear danger to the feckless, faceless, bureaucrats and government officials. Who else would they use these on?

They can track most of us by chips in cell phones, cars and some even subdermal. Targeting done, they can now take us out without leaving a trace. What drone plane? That was a bomb planted by a terrorist or a militia member hoisted by his own pitard.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This is the thing that gets me...

The Federal Aviation Administration has been asked to issue flying rights for a range of pilotless planes to carry out civilian and law-enforcement functions but has been hesitant to act. Officials are worried that they might plow into airliners, cargo planes and corporate jets that zoom around at high altitudes, or helicopters and hot air balloons that fly as low as a few hundred feet off the ground.

The concern of the FAA isn't privacy rights etc.... it's other things, which are also valid, but not mentioned by the FAA is the saftey of our rights.

Now I will be the first to say that if I had a child abducted... I would want this....

And to be honest... the thing that scares me more so than the governments abuse of such visibility would be hackers...

Yep.... if this happens, you can bet, hacking will be aimed at this, because it would be the best hack... however as you all know... the bot-nets that plague our internet now are leased to organize crime for whatever purposes they have....

Just imagine a network of hacked UAVs flying over the US with the video feeds leased out, unbeknownst to the gov, to organized crime...

THAT is my disaster scenario...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by ThaLoccster

I myself am dead set against drones flying our domestic skies. There is too little accountability in law enforcement and government already, without providing them yet another layer of anonymity and deniability.

Too many of the weapons being used in the War Zones for crowd control and surveillance are ending up being deployed in the United States.

I am total agreement Proto, the police departments have been quietly trained by the Military under the guise of FEMA since the early nineties, if sooner then that I am not aware of it. It is what we don't know that can and does hurt us, now why would the Military train our police for emergencies like Katrina, think it is more sinister then that, this started long before 911.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

What’s more is that many of our younger uniformed law enforcement officers are straight off the front lines of Iraq and Afghanistan and many have a distorted sense of the citizen and appropriate levels of force and verbiage because of that.

I don’t know if there is any actual published study to determine just how many Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans now serve as civilian law enforcement officers domestically within the United States but I suspect it’s a very large number.

I think it is safe to say that law enforcement focus is shifting more to control of the people, and not protecting and serving the people.

It’s pretty disturbing the sophistication of technology and weaponry we are handing our keepers and minders.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Drones like any weapon of war have potential civilian applications and are very much desired by those who want more effective weapons for their arsenal. I like drones myself and fly them when I am in a safe place for it and at altitudes that are below federal control.

What they want is to use military hardware on civilian populations and there is the risk. Swarms of drones could solve a lot of their surveillance issues. Our privacy will suffer of course. Not to mention our peace of mind that we can go out into our backyard without having a spy peaking in on us.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I totally envision FAA allowing it, then after a short time, TPTB will then release to the world antigravity technology. Now because FAA allowed it for the other drones, the newer antigravity drones could be deployed on every street corner.
With the ability to neutralize unlawful civilians in a moments notice.

the future is not bright

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Le Colonel]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I have had enough close calls to say that allowing ANY aircraft not blessed with at least one pair of Mk 1 Eyeballs as part of it's avionics suite is going to be risky.

Would you entrust your life to an airliner with no pilots, flown by camera and computer?

No matter how safe it gets, flight is ultimately an emergency risk management enterprise. Flying drones over the heads of people you plan on shooting, who may shoot back, makes sense. Flying drones through civilian airspace does not. Nobody has ever shot at a plane I was flying, but I can go on and on about stories where a pilot's acute Situational Awareness saved the lives of his passengers and those on the ground.

If a civilian or law enforcement organization cannot raise the funds to run a program with a REAL pilot and a REAL aircraft, they probably DON'T REALLY need the program.

NO PILOT WANTS DRONES FLYING IN HIS AIRSPACE. The experts are ALL against this one, including those in the FAA. Johnny Law simply doesn't appreciate the fact that when his shiny new speeding ticket generator ends up in my cowling, the law of gravity will take precedence over the law of man and I will have to fall somewhere.....on something.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Ha...

I spoke of this back in 96. Its only a matter of time now. Martial law is getting ready to be declared. Especially in the wake of wikileaks Assange. Once Americans find out what has REALLY been going on, there will be PANDEMONIUM.

I wonder if the leaks that Assange is getting ready to release has something to do with this statement by the Saudi Prince...
therearenosunglasses.wordpress.com...

As a matter of fact, I'M POSITIVE it has something to do with that.

Just look at the headlines here...THE MILITARY IS PRESSURING THE FAA TO ALLOW DRONES IN U.S. SKIES.

As soon as this leak happens...there's going to be hell to pay. This drone thing is a symptom of that.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

It’s an interesting take on the situation, but they have been quietly pushing for drones well before the most recent Wikileaks controversy.

They are already flying drones along the U.S. borders with Mexico and Canada and out along the Gulf of Mexico and have been for a couple of years.

I sounded the warning bell back then during those stories it would be just a matter of time before law enforcement would be clamoring for them.

Oddly enough the members who chimed in the loudest nothing to see here, nothing to fear, it’s just for border patrol are those members associated with the military industrial or security industrial complex in one capacity or another.

Now here we are a year later watching it all head in that direction, the naysayers always say it’s never going to head in!

I have a funny feeling if the American people ever find out the true extent of everything the government has been keeping from us, there will be nowhere in the world for our politicians to hide.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is actually good, imagine the following things that could be solved:

Hit and runs
Abductions/Amber alerts
Robberies
Auto theft
Illegal Immigration monitoring
Traffic monitoring
Severe weather monitoring (floods)
Search and rescue

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
These may prove extremely helpful in protecting the United States Borders.
I don't really see anything wrong with it as long as they are not weaponized.
Used for recon only these could come in handy.

I do see something wrong with it, as search and seizure are two separate words, that are sometimes preceded by a third word, that word being illegal.

So when the Government develops X-Ray vision do we simply say because it has such a capacity that it is not in direct violation of our rights.

We have a right to be secure in our persons and our homes, and part of that security is a reasonable expectation of privacy. That includes privacy from the government.

The tradeoff is never worth what people imagine them to be in these situations.

Personally I think the government needs to spend a little less time worrying about the human citizen, and a lot more time worrying about the corporate citizen as I really don’t think drones are going to protect us from Wall Street Sharks and Environmental Disaster Prone Oil Companies, do you?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
have you seen the data about how many civilians and innocents have een killed by drones? and if they are not armed, they will crash in buildings and other planes.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't see how anyone can ever logically argue that we are not turning into a police state, from this point forward. Screw the so-called safety concerns, what about the privacy concerns? Will they be peering into homes via IR? Will they be doing assissnations? You know it will eventually turn to that, as long as they use the word "terrorism" with whover the suspect may be.

Kiss freedom goodbye... for good.

--airspoon

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join