It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressman Attacks Student (video must see)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability

Dude get real. Just because I don't share your opinion, does not make me a troll. See I could have called you one also I guess for you not sharing my opinion, but see I can argue without lame name calling.

Simply put. There are people still out there, even in this day and age, who refuse to put up with disrespect from people. That is what this thread is all about.

I also don;t give a crap if you look at my profile or not.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanorw
Yes and he had a right to defend himself from a perceived threat.

What perceived threat? When did asking a congressman a question become a threat?

I also guarantee that if those punks did not have a camera, they may have been smacked around a bit more.

And that would have been justified?

Like I said, call me old school.

Disgusting and shameful is more like it.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Simply put. There are people still out there, even in this day and age, who refuse to put up with disrespect from people.

Asking a question of a Congressman is disrespectful?

Just to clarify for everyone, what exactly did you find disrespectful in what the kids did?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Slapping a camera is not friendly. Grabbing someone by the arm and demanding they answer a question is not friendly. Seizing someone by the back of the neck is not being friendly.

I quite agree with this observation. Can we imagine the brouhaha that would have erupted had the student grabbed the senator's wrist and/or neck as he demanded that his question be answered?

Rather than a red-faced politico stammering an apology as he envisioned his cushy career nose-diving into oblivion, the news would have been plastered with the "horrifying" attack upon a respected congressman by a fledgling "domestic terrorist".

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

general statement....(not pointing fingers at anybody on this thread who may or may not have a name starting with a "D")

Acting out physically when challenged verbally or intellectually is a sign that somewhere in ones childhood things went rather wrong.

Like a dog who bites little children..they dont know any other way to react.

Or a person who lacks self-confidence..needs to prove his man-hood by slapping around 5'-4" nerdy, suit wearing 19yrs olds...but would likey turn-tale if faced by a larger man.

...just saying.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by wrathchild]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

Dude get real. Just because I don't share your opinion, does not make me a troll. See I could have called you one also I guess for you not sharing my opinion, but see I can argue without lame name calling.

I didn't call you a troll because of your disagreement, I called you a troll, because in light of all evidence that the congressman is wrong, including that fact HE SAID IT WAS, you support his actions.

A.) you are inciting revolt by disagreeing with the thread

B.) you have little experience here on ATS and obviously don't know how things are handled.

Simply put. There are people still out there, even in this day and age, who refuse to put up with disrespect from people. That is what this thread is all about.

Yes disrespect, like the congressman apologizing on the news for his absurd actions.

Yet despite that you say that violence is warranted for asking questions. Now that is absurd.

I also don;t give a crap if you look at my profile or not.

Your profile is there for other to see who one is dealing with and how they respond overall to things, think of it as, the lie detector or troll detector. You profile here on ATS is as good as gold.

Now back on Topic, you think that violence is warranted for asking questions, and I have to question you morals and values as a human being.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Asking a question of a Congressman is disrespectful?

Just to clarify for everyone, what exactly did you find disrespectful in what the kids did?

They used Ambush type fake journalism on the street. They shoved a device in his face and refused to show enough courtesy to tell him who they were.

That is why I consider that whole clip nothing but a damn setup. What was their agenda here? I guess they got what they wanted. I come from a time where you made an effort to have mutual respect. If a person didn't, I could expect to get a punch in the face. That kept people grounded. These days everyone seems to have an agenda and will use any means necessary to cloud and distort a situation.

See what we don't see, is why did this situation take place to begin with? Could they have approached this politician before? They were not true journalists, so they were recording him and asking him a specific question for a reason. It was to be a tool to be used later for whatever reason.

The whole situation stinks to me. I know because so many in this place feel that he is a politician that we should all demonize him by default. I personally don't get into politics much, but if I did, I guess you would call me conservative. I hate what the world is becoming, but not because of what the politician did.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by deanorw]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I though Democrats were supposed to be soft push-overs?
He man-handled that kid like he stole money!

- Lee

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

We expect him to be a reasonable and rational human being; we expect him to do the exact same thing other politicians do when a camera is shoved in their face.

True, but you forget one very important fact.
The Congressman is a victim of his own time and his idea of a camera is some heavy piece of hardware with a big lens that rolls around on a dolly.
All he saw was a punk that almost stuck a gadget up his nose, so how would you expect him to react?

You are pretending that the congressman only had one choice here. That's not true at all. He did not have to stop. He did not have to grab the kid. He didn't have to say anything at all.

And you assume the Congressman had really great cheerful day at the office. I for one think the Congressman was slightly under the influence, which might explain why he went Yosemite Sam on the punk.

The kid was disrespectful, PERIOD.
If the kid would have politely asked the Congressman for an interview I'm sure his wish would have been granted.
Instead the kid was rude, careless and unprepared.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

They used Ambush type fake journalism on the street. They shoved a device in his face and refused to show enough courtesy to tell him who they were.

So, walking up to a Congressman (or anyone else) on the street and asking them a question is "disrespect"?

What constitutes real and fake journalism?

That is why I consider that whole clip nothing but a damn setup. What was their agenda here?

And here is where the lies and spin begin. Sure, the Congressman over-reacted, but the fault really lies with the students for daring to exercise their rights.

So, walking up to a Congressman (or anyone else) on the street and asking them a question is "disrespect"?

What constitutes real and fake journalism?

See what we don't see, is why did this situation take place to begin with? Could they have approached this politician before?

Etheridge did not say anything about having met these kids before in his statements to the press. And even if they did have a previous encounter, it's irrelevant. There is not some arbitrary magic number of times you are allowed or not allowed to ask someone a question.

They were not true journalists, so they were recording him and asking him a specific question for a reason.

So what? Regardless of whether or not they are journalists, they have every right to ask him whatever question they please. Before you comment on American politics, you may want to familiarize yourself with the American Constitution.

It was to be a tool to be used later for whatever reason.

So what? That gives him the right to assault them? The reason they asked him the question are irrelevant; they have the right to ask him whatever question they want for whatever reason they please.

The whole situation stinks to me.

Once again, lies and spin. It does not matter what reason they were there, it does not matter what their agenda was. They have every right granted to them by the Constitution to ask him any question and for any reason. Etheridge has no right, none whatsoever, to conduct himself in the manner he did.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

A.) you are inciting revolt by disagreeing with the thread

You can judge me all you want. I personally don't care.

As for A: I am disagreeing with a topic at hand. Is it a requirement to agree with a specific subject now?

The politician had to spin it and apologize. Do you actually think he feels sorry for his actions? I guarantee you he will not unless he ends up losing his seat because of it.

Like I said way back in the thread. Were his actions justified? Probably not. I will not demonize him for it though. He either got over defensive or aggressive depending on what perspective you look at it from. I try to place myself in their situation, and from what I saw, he did not go overboard. From the perspective of Law maybe he did. In my own though, it was no big deal.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I swear if someone doesn't cut in The Who's song: "Who Are You?" into that video I will.

"Whooooo are you?
Who-who, who-who?"

- Lee

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

I am going to try to deny Ignorance once more with you:

First of this is America, public streets and public sidewalk, anyone can film and ask anyone questions in public, especially a CONGRESSMAN.

They didn't ambush him, he walked by, and could have kept walking if he didn't want to answer, NO COMMENT is all that he needed to say.

That is why I consider that whole clip nothing but a damn setup. What was their agenda here?

There agenda was to have the question about Obama answered, nothing sinister there.

I guess they got what they wanted.

Wanted? I think they got alot more than they had ever planned for, they thought he'd answer nicely from the way they got scared.

I come from a time where you made an effort to have mutual respect. If a person didn't, expect to get a punch in the face.

I am sorry, but if you did something like punch me in the face for asking a questions, I guarantee you'd be behind bars.

That kept people grounded. These days everyone seems to have an agenda and will use any means necessary to cloud and distort a situation.

What kept people grounded, assaulting persons for asking questions? Is that your form of grounding?

See what we don't see, is why did this situation take place to begin with? Could they have approached this politician before?
What does this have to do with anything at all? The bill of rights and first amendment says I can ask questions on public sidewalks of ANYONE I CHOOSE!

They were not true journalists, so they were recording him and asking him a specific question for a reason. It was to be a tool to be used later for whatever reason.

What does being a journalist have to do with anything other than you support tyranny and oppression by saying civilians can't ask questions since they're not journalists!

You obviously are not aware of The right to film in public and ask questions.

The whole situation stinks to me. I know because so many in this place feel that he is a politician that we should all demonize him by default. I personally don't get into politics much, but if I did, I guess you would call me conservative. I hate what the world is becoming, but not because of what the politician did.

So you support violence, and especially violence done by an elected official.

I have one assessment of you on this thread your views are wrong, and sick at the same time.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I have one assessment of you on this thread your views are wrong, and sick at the same time.

I have an assessment of yours also, but cannot find the proper word for it since pu$$ification is not an actual word.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

I will not demonize him for it though. He either got over defensive or aggressive depending on what perspective you look at it from. I try to place myself in their situation, and from what I saw, he did not go overboard. From the perspective of Law maybe he did. In my own though, it was no big deal.

And my assessment stands. An elected official assaulting someone asking questions is more than a big deal, ITS AGAINST THE LAW!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
True, but you forget one very important fact.

The Congressman is a victim of his own time and his idea of a camera is some heavy piece of hardware with a big lens that rolls around on a dolly.

That doesn't fly at all. Being a Congressman in a media and camera saturated culture, who typically have cameras of all sorts shoved in their face on a frequent basis, he should know cameras come in all shapes and sizes.

All he saw was a punk that almost stuck a gadget up his nose, so how would you expect him to react?

Can you show us exactly where in the video has has the camera "shoved up his nose"?

And you assume the Congressman had really great cheerful day at the office.

Oh, so because he had a bad day he was justified in attacking the kids?

The kid was disrespectful, PERIOD.

Could you please tell us where exactly in the video the kid was rude and disrespectful? What makes him a punk, as you and your disgusting, sickening ilk keep calling him?

Is it because they actually did something disrespectful and rude, you do you just not like their politics?

[edit on 14-6-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

Just noticed this, and was heartbroken.

You sir are a genius and a lifesaver.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Watch the Congressman's movements and the way he grabs the boy's wrist. He knows what he's doing, physically. He could have spun that boy around and snapped his wrist in half in an instant.

Ah no he didn't know what he was doing, he was very vulnerable to a keylock/kamura if one knew how to do it, a take down, or a punch or a kick, he did not have the wrist in a good position to do anything there were a number of things the kid could have done if he had a little training. Congressman is lucky the kid was not a college wrestler or he probably would have been taken down out of instinct.

I would have grabbed his wrist with my other hand and gave a quick twist to free my wrist from his grip, step in with the right leg and put the now free hand over and under and grab my wrist to get a key lock and step round his back with the left leg and control or submit him if he resisted. This would not have really hurt him but caused a bunch of pain and had him on his knees or back and could destroy the shoulder if necessary but only as a last resort. This way he would be under control and in pain and humiliated but no permanent damage and perhaps learn a lesson.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I would have givin him a stone-cold-stunner and finished him off with the "peoples" elbow.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Face facts. Those defending the Congressman are doing so based completely on politics. They don't like the fact these kids dared question someone on their "side" so they will do everything to justify his actions. It's revolting.

It is revolting, great way to phrase this all!

I can't see how anyone can support his actions at all, it is his job to protect the people of this country from harm, not cause injury to them!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join