It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressman Attacks Student (video must see)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I think you made my point for me.
As I stated earlier all he had to do was answer the damn question, one way or another, that's all.

Yes I have to agree with that statement, yes!

Yet if you watch the video, the kid is so damn scared I doubt he had rational thought going through his mind. I think it caught him so off guard he soiled himself.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

judging by your responses...are you playing "devil's advocate" for the fun of it???

I can't imagine anyone defending an elected politicians extremely poor behavior.

HE doesn't defend it. HE said it was wrong!!!

yet YOU are defending it.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate
[
The thing I guess that really confuses me is what the congressman actually did. That whole holding the hand and pulling him close by the neck thing is just odd. If you feel threatened, do you really want to pull that person closer and keep them there when they are clearly trying to make distance?

Just my 2

I think he did that to send a message to them. It was a slight of hand. It was almost like "look here, I am being friendly", but assertive enough in my actions to show you who is in control here.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

That would be because CNN is cherry picking this as much as possible to not let this CongrASS man look like the jerk he is. I had seen the story on CNN as well. They show 2 versions. Version 1 is pretty much blacked out.

Yes I see now, I didn't wait long enough for the second version. I though it was all blacked out and closed the window.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I agree the Congressman was wrong for going off on the kid but hell, a camera phone was stuck in his face by the snot nosed punk.

What makes him a snot-nosed kid?

Originally posted by Alxandro
What did you expect the man to say? (oo, nice phone you got there kid)

We expect him to be a reasonable and rational human being; we expect him to do the exact same thing other politicians do when a camera is shoved in their face.

You are pretending that the congressman only had one choice here. That's not true at all. He did not have to stop. He did not have to grab the kid. He didn't have to say anything at all.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Theres a group on facebook thats dedicated to getting this d!$% fired.
I gladly joined

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanorw

Originally posted by evil incarnate
[
The thing I guess that really confuses me is what the congressman actually did. That whole holding the hand and pulling him close by the neck thing is just odd. If you feel threatened, do you really want to pull that person closer and keep them there when they are clearly trying to make distance?

Just my 2

I think he did that to send a message to them. It was a slight of hand. It was almost like "look here, I am being friendly", but assertive enough in my actions to show you who is in control here.

No that wasn't
It was a larger man using an intimidation tactic over a much smaller and younger man.
he had to show him he was the "alpha male"....

edit....if Brock Lesnar was holding that camera that old coot would have stopped,smiled and told him anything he wanted to hear

[edit on 14-6-2010 by wrathchild]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

That is ridiculous. It is obvious, to everyone but partisan hacks, that nothing the congressman did was "friendly". Slapping a camera is not friendly. Grabbing someone by the arm and demanding they answer a question is not friendly. Seizing someone by the back of the neck is not being friendly.

You should be ashamed.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrathchild

Watch this clip. Remember the guy Jean Chretien grabbed by the throat did not touch him. Were his actions justified?

www.youtube.com...

I am not playing Devil's Advocate. I am a true believer in showing respect to others. I am also a true believer of not putting up with bullsh@t from others. Did he overreact according to the law? Possibly, but I guess that depends on how he interpreted the situation.

Those kids look like opportunists to me. Just because the guy is an elected official, should not mean open house on him to the point of harassment. As an elected official, it would be natural for him to be defensive out in the public unprotected.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The behavior of some members in this thread demonstrates what has gone wrong with our country. Liberals/Democrats are defending this man, justifying his actions simply because they do not like the politics of the other side. To be certain, if this was a Republican congressman, Conservatives/Republicans would be doing the same thing. Far too much crime, misdeed and corruption has been allowed, justified and excused simply because "the other side does it too" or "the other side is bad."

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Those kids look like opportunists to me. Just because the guy is an elected official, should not mean open house on him to the point of harassment. As an elected official, it would be natural for him to be defensive out in the public unprotected.

So, being a opportunist gives someone the right to forcefully grab, restrain and slap you?

Since when asking a congressman a question equate to harassment?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Who are you!!!! Who are you!!!!!! Who are you!!!!!!!

Geeez
He said he was a student and he wanted to know if you fully support the Obama agenda.

Turn up your miricle ear already.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Excuse me congressman. Do you support green energy regulations?
SLAP
Owe. Thank you congressman. No further questions

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

posting a video of another bully???

He didnt get the nickname "mean"Jean Chretien for nothing...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I just saw this on the news and I find it absolutely reprehensible.

Whether the esteemed senator felt provoked by the question or no, he has no right to physically assault another person. It is obvious that the student was not holding a gun or any other type of assault weapon, but a microphone, an object that the senator should recogonize and be readily familar with.

If he didn't not wish to respond, then a "No Comment" would have been sufficent, but rather he chose to initiate a physical confrontation with a person both younger and smaller in stature than he. It sickens me that this is the calibre of judgement displayed by our elected officials, but this is just another in a long line of egomaniacal displays.

I would not be surprised if he and his handlers try to put a positive spin on the episode by claiming he doesn't waste taxpayers dollars by having a security detail and thus is compelled to defend himself from would-be attackers.

For the student I would suggest a good lawyer and for the senator, I would recommend that he exit the rarefied stratosphere he exists in and learn to respect the common people. With luck and intelligent voters, come November, he can meet many of them in the bread line which is exactly where he needs to end up, if not in jail before then.

link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Since when is getting ambushed, asked questions with the refusal of acknowledging who they are not harassment?

Also before you start trying to place some lame political twist and finger pointing on this, I am not even American.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by deanorw]

link   
reply to post by deanorw

I am not playing Devil's Advocate. I am a true believer in showing respect to others. I am also a true believer of not putting up with bullsh@t from others. Did he overreact according to the law? Possibly, but I guess that depends on how he interpreted the situation.

Assault is often defined to include not only violence, but any intentional physical contact with another person without their consent.

The law states that what he did is a Class B Misdemeanor at least, if there was injury it would be Assault with Injury a Class A. Both are Arrestable offenses.
Assault

If you put your hands on me like that in Texas I have the right to shoot you, how is that for interpretation?

Now tell me if he broke the law?

[edit on 14-6-2010 by theability]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Also before you start trying to place some lame political twist and finger pointing on this, I am not even American.

I do not care where you are from. That was not the question. The question is when did asking a congressman a question equate to harassment?

Since when is getting ambushed, asked questions with the refusal of acknowledging who they are not harassment?

It's not. It has never been.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

A public official on a public sidewalk being asked questions is not harassment.

This is trolling seriously, your new to the ATS arena I looked at your profile.

Inciting revolt isn't going to help you here on ATS.

Shame on you.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrathchild
reply to post by deanorw

posting a video of another bully???

He didnt get the nickname "mean"Jean Chretien for nothing...

Yes and he had a right to defend himself from a perceived threat. The problem is not with them, it is with everyone out there becoming big babies. If the world has so gone to hell like everyone on here is saying, think back to the way situations like these were dealt with years back. Was the world gone to hell then? Nope there was a imaginary line of respect people did not cross. it worked well. I also guarantee that if those punks did not have a camera, they may have been smacked around a bit more.

Like I said, call me old school.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
If you put your hands on me like that in Texas I have the right to shoot you, how is that for interpretation?

If I had been in that kid's position, Mr. Etheridge would have found my other hand around his throat. But, I'm a bit of a hot-head in situations like that and it would have been every bit as wrong as what Mr. Etheridge did. The kids, however, did the right thing by not escalating the situation any further.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join