It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressman Attacks Student (video must see)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
This was just on The Daily Show... I hate to say it, but I don't think this is a big deal...
He is a old guy, and I am sure not going to put up with any BS from college punks.
all political agenda aside, I know lots of old guys who would have done the same thing.
It's more of that Old School respect your elders thing

Bingo! We have a winner. That is exactly how I see it. The world is so wimped out these days. I see it as the kids who tried to punk him out got it returned.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability

Then they should not be there sticking objects in the guys face.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

Huh? I saw video.

Maybe you're referring to the brief period of black footage. That was due to the position of the camera.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
complete unedited video. Not much different from the original clip. Etheridge was out of line. Hence is apology to whoever will listen. For those that think he looked drunk or stoned... Keep in mind that he was approached after being with Nancy Pelosi for a better part of the day. An experience much like staring at Medusa I'm sure
The poor fella was just grumpy.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Here is the incident from two different angles, unedited.

WRAL

But some media outlets seem to be doing their best to either downplay this or blame the students. At the WRAL link above, they write...

Judging by photo on right, the misunderstanding was forgiven, and a hearty hug enjoyed by both.

...which anyone watching the video can tell is not the case at all.

On WHAS (ABC affiliate) 11:00 PM news, the anchor suggested it was provoked by the students, working for Breitbart's BigGovernment website. Mr. Etheridge may have apologized, but the spin is just beginning.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

I don't feel just because he was a politician that he should have less rights over anyone else.

Less rights, the guy assaulted someone! Why isn't he in jail?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanorw
Call me old school, but people who pull stunts like this deserve to be put in their place. Those kids were not media. They were punks trying to get a rise out of someone.

What stunt would that be, asking a Congressman a question? Every American has that right, whether or not they are members of the media. A simple question is not "trying to get a rise" out of someone.

As for the unwarranted physical assault. What If i walked up to you and said something about your wife or attacked you verbally. Told you that your kids are actually mine. Would you then assault me? I would expect to get punched. Sometimes it is just right.

The idea that asking, "Do you support the Obama agenda" is the same as questioning the honor of one's wife or the paternity of one's children is laughable and a pathetic attempt at deflection.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

On the CNN link I can't see anything at all, no video just audio.

I am puzzled

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by deanorw

so if that was your daughter getting choked out for her school project you would be cool with that????.

maybe you can sponsor a law that allows privileged and wealthy politicians to punch slap and choke any reporter who tries to ask a question and make them accountable for their job???.

I guess your idea of democracy is a little different than mine..I'll ask your about on the street if I run into ya...ummm..oh wait...............

link   
reply to post by deanorw

When did they stick an object in his face???

Have you ever heard of CAMERA ZOOM?

link   

At the risk of Bulverism, would you mind telling us what party you subscribe to?

link   
I have to add that these college students and others like them are doing things and asking questions that investigative reporters USED to ask of our elected officials. Reporters are now spoon fed their stories to publish and air according to the proper instructions provided. The White House continues to snuff the press corps and is even twittering information before it is given to the press corps.

These elected clowns should be able to take a little heat now and again because they were not used to getting in the past. The times are a changin' and Congress has officially run amuck. It's ok to question these people we have placed into office.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wow, all I can say if that jerk had done that to my son he would be in for the law suit of his life. That got me so upset!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Gee, I wonder how the "press" would handle this if it were a Republican that attacked? Think it'd be headline news for months? Buuuuuut since it's a democrate no news here.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

It's ok to question these people we have placed into office.

Absolutely, as patriots to the country it is our job to question the people we elect to our government positions.

Well Said!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

What you see an an assault (roll eyes here) I see as someone behaving assertive and defensively. Of course this is an opportunity for you to go on and on about the government stealing everyone's rights.

The congressman's getting a bum rap here. The kid's should've identified themselves out of courtesy. So just maybe he interpreted them as a threat.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by deanorw]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I'd respond, "The person who pays your salary!"

I think you made my point for me.
As I stated earlier all he had to do was answer the damn question, one way or another, that's all.
In my eyes, that alone would have tilted the scales in the kids favor.

I agree the Congressman was wrong for going off on the kid but hell, a camera phone was stuck in his face by the snot nosed punk.
What did you expect the man to say? (oo, nice phone you got there kid)

Worst case scenario, what if the punk was an Islamo fascist terrorists?
The old geezer was just defending himself by preparing for the worst.

If nothing more, they were both merely victims of their own generation when it comes to dealing with the given scenario.
Just call it a case of a generation clash.

Btw, this is very similar to what happened to Vince Young just this past weekend.
views.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

reply to post by OrphenFire

On the CNN link I can't see anything at all, no video just audio.

I am puzzled

That would be because CNN is cherry picking this as much as possible to not let this CongrASS man look like the jerk he is. I had seen the story on CNN as well. They show 2 versions. Version 1 is pretty much blacked out. Version 2 is the second camera angle and they start showing it AFTER the student gets smacked. They show it from the point where he is just holding the students wrist.

It's just another example of why people are getting their news from Alternative Media sources.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

If you go up to people and shoving an object in their face it is an invasion of personal space.

I did not see evidence that anything was shoved into his face. Maybe I missed that.

It is also unlawful to record audio of someone who does not give consent. I will say it again. Those kids were not media. They ambushed him.

Not in public. You have no expectation of privacy in public spaces. You can be recorded and even rebroadcast without consent. Rules come into play when profit can be made from the footage being used but that does not come into play until after it has been used for something. Recording the man on the street is not against any law.

It has nothing to do with Politician's or Men in Charge. I could walk up to you on the street, start recording you and say stuff. I could then go home and edit that material to demonize you and post it online.

It depends on how you demonize the person. If you alter their words or edit your footage in such a way as to misrepresent what was actually filmed, then you can very much be on the wrong end of a slander, libel, or other such lawsuit.

What i am saying is that not everything you see can be taken at face value. If anyone on that clip had an agenda it was the kids. Be wary of what you watch, just because he was an "evil" politician does not mean those kids were innocent in any way shape or form.

I am not sure I totally disagree. I do not see evidence of any face shoving in happening but they did seem ambushy and could most certainly have gone about it in a more professional manner.

Even I have to admit that while walking from point A to point B, if someone surprised me my reaction is not always as cool and calculated as I will later wish it had been.

I am torn here. I see the kids being wrong in their approach. Unfortunately, that first slap is assault and being annoying or a jerk does not give anyone the right to assault you.

The thing I guess that really confuses me is what the congressman actually did. That whole holding the hand and pulling him close by the neck thing is just odd. If you feel threatened, do you really want to pull that person closer and keep them there when they are clearly trying to make distance?

That is just weird and I think it does away with any real defense of his actions other than, he was surprised and in a bad mood. I could buy that. I still think the kid should pursue assault charges but I still think he was kind of an ass about it. I fear that the left will make him a hero and based on his current journalistic skills, they may have their very own James Okeefe to bail out of jail in a few years.

Just my 2

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I see it as the kids who tried to punk him out got it returned.

I am confused here. What did these kids do that was so egregious? Since when did asking someone a question, particular a congressman about their politics or their agenda, amount to "punking" someone?

And since when did asking someone an innocuous question, even if you are holding a camera, give that person the right to forcefully grab and restrain the person asking the question?

Let's be honest here: do you think people have these rights and that the congressman acted reasonably, or do you just not agree with the kids' politics?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join