It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressman Attacks Student (video must see)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Anyone saved the video?

It's been removed.

Never mind, found a copy.

In my opinion, the congressman is obviously drunk.

He looks and acts like he's had a skinful.

No excuse of course, but explains his weird behaviour.

[edit on 15/6/2010 by spikey]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by deanorw
How come i am the only one happy that the sniveling little turd shoving a cell phone in the mans face got manhandled?

I guess it is OK to use Ambush Journalism and then edit the living daylights out of the video, post it on youtube and watch so many drop their jaws. I have never seen so many easily steered by someone with an obvious agenda, and it was not the politician in this instance.

Myself? I only rolled my eyes. That dink is lucky some security didn't smack him around some.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by deanorw]

Ahhh.. I jumped to the end of the thread after realising the video had been removed... I saw your arguments.

I've now seen the video and decided to peruse the thread, just go to your post.

and I agree with everyone else. You are utterly wrong and your opinion is quite, to be honest, offensive considering.

I also note that you are claiming up to that point that the video has been edited. I guess you also did not bother to read the thread, since two uncut angles of the entire clip have been posted previously, showing that there is no cut in the audio as it happened.

Double

[edit on 15/6/2010 by badw0lf]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
i am amazed at some oth the comments hear

the " encounter " clearly starts when the studant is at least 2 / 3 m away and beggins with :

" good morning congressman "

that is NOT an ambush - by any strech of the imagination

the guy does not have an " i am a congressman " badge - so by that very greeting he should be ` on warning ` that some sort of political encounter is in the making

also he is on his way into a building - where i ASSUME the pelosi event was being held - so any one with the brains to be left unsuperviused should expect journalists or even political hecklers to be present

a simple :

no comment

i am busy

ring my press office for an interview

would have ended the encounter / or put the student on the back foot - forcing his withdrawl or making the student escalate the encounter

and lastly - as noted - can any one who defends the congressmans response answer a couple of basic questions :

1 - is his answer dependant on the identity of the questioner ?
why is the studants identity important

2 - what statute permits him to demand it [ the students identity ] by force ?

i am brittish - so not well versed in US law - but with google i can only find statutes that permit police officers , sherrifs and their deputies , FBI agents , the secret service and some other agencies to demand identity - and in many cases there are caveats as to when these LEO personsell can demand identity and detain a person if they refuse

so what gives a congressman the right to demand id ?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
It's truly a sad state of affairs when our "elected officials" think they can get away with breaking the law in public, and get away with it. What's worse in this case is that he DID get away with it. That's the biggest problem in this country, from what I can tell; a total lack of accountability for anything.

It is sad state of affairs because he is being allowed to get away with it by the people. Etheridge has apologists here on ATS, other websites and throughout the media justifying his actions or deflecting it back to the kids, blaming them for the incident, as if their agenda or their politics is an excuse for Etheridge's conduct.

Republicans and Democrats have gotten away with far too many misdeeds and crimes for far too long this way.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

No one has the right to conduct themselves as Etheridge did, be they Democrat, Republican or elected officials.

Again Well said my friend!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

To me it does not make a difference if the person was a politician or not. Politicians are human and fallible just like everyone else. He may have overreacted, but some of you in here are taking this tiny incident, and acting like it is the end of the world.

People are angry because it is symptomatic of a larger problem. Elected official should be held to a higher standard. They are elected to do the people's business, beholden to the people and the law. However, far too often these elected official consider themselves above the people and law they were elected to serve. And far too often these politicians are held to a lower-standard, allowed to get away with misdeed after misdeed by people like you, finding any reason to excuse and justify the behavior of politicians on "their side". This lowering of standards has lead to widespread corruption, damaging the country and Constitution.

I saw it as an ambush.

Does not matter one bit. There is no arbitrary distance or time-and-place where one may or may not ask politicians questions.

I saw a guy placed in a awkward situation by someone refusing to identify who they were.

How was it an awkward situation? He is a seven-term Congressman. After 14 years, he should be used to journalists and private citizens asking him questions on the streets, with and without cameras.

Then they also clouded out their own face like they had something to hide.

So what? Their agenda is irrelevant. They have every right to ask any question of any politician they want, regardless of their agenda. Their agenda does not give justify Etheridge's conduct.

For some reason it did not strike me as equal or fair.

It's not because it's not supposed to be. These students are private citizens. Etheridge is a public official. They have a reasonable expectation of privacy that Etheridge does not share as long as he serves in Congress.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I guess it is OK to use Ambush Journalism and then edit the living daylights out of the video, post it on youtube and watch so many drop their jaws.

Absolutely! It's called the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

I have never seen so many easily steered by someone with an obvious agenda, and it was not the politician in this instance.

Again, their agenda is irrelevant. Their agenda does not give Etheridge the right to assault them.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I guess it is OK to use Ambush Journalism and then edit the living daylights out of the video, post it on youtube and watch so many drop their jaws.

ok - how is an encounter that beginns with the greeting :

" goodmorning congress man "

an ambush ?????????????

lastly - where are the edit breaks ???????????? - i have watched two clips from 2 cameras - and i see one seemless encounter

so - please tell me where the edit breaks are

i want you to tell me which clip you reffer to - and point out the point at which you believe there is an edit

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
where is Holder? the ACLU?

looks like the AG should be all over this. oh yeh, demos.

i smell a parental lawsuit for assault.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I will give people here a quick and dirty, in regards to basic US law, since I was previously in law enforcement for years.

This is not only Assault, this is also Battery, it carries a high misdemeanor to a felony charge in most states.

Assault and Battery.

Assault can be someone that merely threatens violence, without physical contact.

Battery, when someone strikes or touches another person with their hand, be it open or closed or is a harmful or offensive touch of another, in any way.

So it is clearly obvious that the congressman can be charged with "Assault and Battery.

I would wager his career is over.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Realtruth]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I would wager his career is over.

bout time.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
First off...

Why hasn't the congressman been arrested etc?

The students in the video have refused to identify themselves and the faces have been blurred etc. If they plan on pressing charges then they should and work it out in court etc. Until then...noone knows who they are and they haven't come forward.

Also...There is a reason that reporters identify themselves. These guys should have done the same if they are going to walk up to someone, even a congressman...and shove something in there face and start asking questions.

Hi...I am joe blow, from project Obama Agenda...do you suport ...?

This congressman made a mistake, but given the political climate security is always a concern and I am unsure if I wouldn't have acted similiarly if I was walking alone on a sidewalk and someone came up and shoved something in my face and refused to tell me who they were.

And I am curious as to why these students haven't gone public? What's their "project"? Were they holding any signs that made the congressman uneasy? Why didn't they identify themselves or thier project?

All that said, bad choice by the congressman to get physical, and these students have cause to file charges.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I have to add that these college students and others like them are doing things and asking questions that investigative reporters USED to ask of our elected officials...

Disagree. Reason:

Faced with ACORN pimp hoax, right-wing blogosphere falls silent

mediamatters.org...

So many scams, ulterior motives, fear of getting punked etc. Politicians have become leery. Not defending the Congressman's tirade, just disagreeing that any punk with a cell phone, video camera and blog is a journalist. Notwithstanding Glenn Beck wannabes.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Been reading and thinking.

One minute these kids are "interviewing" a Congressman on Camera for a media/journalism "project".

If you consider an interview that begins with "Do you support the Obama Agenda" a real interview question.

The next minute they refuse to say who they are or what their project is, they post the video, but blurr thier faces and refusing to identify themselves?

Not pressing charges. Not giving interviews...blurred faces...from supposed journalism students?

Doesn't add up at all. These guys were RNC interns, doing follow and tracking work. Sent out to follow representitives and report back. It happens all the time. That is what the congressman suspected and why he reacted as stupidly as he did.

Thus the refusal to tell him who they were, what the project was, the blurred faces, the lack of charges filed.

Again...the congressman efed up and deserves the negative spotlight, but as far as motive, there is more hear than meets the eye.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

as was put forth in previous posts, the "17 yr" vet couldn't handle an amateur jimmy olsen cept by grabbing him?

and freaking out?

just what you want to do with a suicide bomber, eh?

i hope the guy is toast.

you see o'rielly's and geraldo's "ambush" segments?

kma, this guy was hoping it was from them. he is screwed.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Politicians are public servants, in the public eye they knew what they were getting into when they took their position.

No excuses for an attack, period.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
step up america! a college student should not be getting pwned by a someone w a 50 yr age difference. lol there are some tough old men out there! its sad but it might just show how wimpy we have gotten as a nation.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

there are some tough old men out there! its sad but it might just show how wimpy we have gotten as a nation.

What? That kid handled the situation perfectly, if he would have done otherwise he'd be in BIG trouble for hitting a congressmen.

Then all his efforts would be in vain.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by theability

he would have gotten a lot more attention maybe the cops would get involved and eventually we would find out the rep. was drunk. he would say it was self defense. a lot more people would see this on the news if the kid would have taken the rep down, but i'm sorry to say, i think the rep could of taken that college kid.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The interviewee obviously didn't handle it in the best possible manner but it doesn't bother me much. Assault & battery? Yeah I guess literally so but it looked a lot more like what the school principle used to do to get someone's attention and nobody felt the need for litigation.
The guy was a little lit and having a bad day, one could argue that the interviewer could have recognized that and dropped his inquiries. Not cool but, no foul imo.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join