It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What toilet tissue is best in SHTF situation?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Being British, I know only too well the importance of maintaining the stiff upper lip and a sense of decorum and civility.

As such, a good supply of triple ply Aloe-balm infused toilet paper is a must in any doomsday store scenario. Wiping ones arse with a handful of grass or leaves just will not do.
Should normality fail to return before the paper runs out, small furry domestic animals would suffice. These are both absorbant and can be used many times after washing.

Loving your line of thinking (made me giggle out loud) ... but I see one flaw (yes, only one) ... I foresee the small furry domestic animals wising up pdq ... and after the first couple of times I reckon they would head for the hills the second they saw you squat.
Just thinking out loud.

Woody

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

That was one idea I had,cloth squares that could be
washed over and over.My son said that it wasn't a
good idea.I did buy several yards of material to make
them and pads for a woman's cycle.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I have and have friends who have done both (in camping/extended backpacking) and/or travels in underdeveloped countries and all have said they worked great. Of course, in SHTF type scenario's it really depends (as others have mentioned) on whether one plans to stay in place (if so, stock up) or not (if not, travel light and how light, etc) but the best way to figure this out (IMO) is to try out different options before you *have* to ... Additionally, for women who are concerned about feminine products, there are menstrual cups (like the diva cup) I also know people who swear by these and no longer contribute to the waste that is caused by the standard *options* of pads/tampons (sorry guys!)

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
You dont have to use any ! Just let it dry and scrach it...there you go

you know Its written right here

[edit on 14-6-2010 by SSimon]

[edit on 14-6-2010 by SSimon]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
From experience I can say:

Mullien works great... and its in season right now, but as someone else pointed out, it can definitely pink your hole from repeated use.

A handful of snow does the trick, but... brrrrr.

A wad of grass from a field works, but watch for ticks.

The left or right hand will do fine if you have a puddle to work with.

Lichens can be nice... unless there are chiggers in the area.

You can rip up some cloth, use it, store it in a bucket when you're done, and wash it all once a week.

For a one time use... they're always your undies and you can throw them out when you're done.

But I ask...

If SHTF, shouldn't you just take a shower?

Sri Oracle

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Why carry paper that can get wet and become completely useless?

I'd suggest burdoch leaves. The leaf surface is not 'slippery' and does a good job at cleaning. Used it many times in the bush myself and the plant is everywhere.

In the US? Or better yet, in Florida? Otherwise I'll have to try to find some seeds.

Eggplant leaves would probably be real nice on the toosh now that you mention it. If you dont like the vegetable you still might have a use for the plant.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
How about a handful of sand or dirt? Never run out of that stuff.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
While I kinda think this thread was created tongue-in-cheek, I also think there is collaborative information that might be useful. I know I've already gleaned some info here.

Consider that when SHTF occurs, we rarely have a notion as to how long it will endure. I think of November 2008, when a Cat 4 hurricane hit here. We lost conventional power/phone/internet for 4 months. That was a somewhat know situation, as we were confident that our infrastructure would eventually be restored.

That's a long-winded way of saying that I think it's a good idea to store TP as well as have in your mind a decent natural alternative.

When hurricane Ivan was headed here in 2004, I bought two cases of TP. Festiva! brand -- nothing special. We could and did fit four rolls in one one-gallon ziplock. Each case had 198 rolls. We still have most of those rolls, except for the 100+ rolls I gave out immediately after Paloma. Yeah, I'm crazy like that.

If your plan includes bugging out should you pack TP? YES! At least a roll or two, IMO. This is a turbulent, dangerous time, and the last thing you need to worry about is what to wipe yourself with.

People here locally might say, "no worries....... I'll use palm fronds." Okay, fine, that's a solution, except........ have you ever tried it? I know that I can cut my skin with the sharp edge of of palm frond. The point is, whatever you might use, try it out!! Go ahead........ what can it hurt?

My island ancestors used rags, which they washed continually. Not a bad solution, IF soap or other disinfectant is available. Can you make soap? It might be a good time to learn.

Me? If TSHTF we're buggin' in. TP might be a trading good, or it might be given away, but if I don't have it, I don't have choices.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I personally think that soft paper towels do a better job than TP when camping, both in terms of time and material used. We don't normally use paper towels of course because they would clog our toilets, but in SHTF the water may not be working so it would not be as important a consideration. After the PT ran out I would start to grow lambs ear.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by airvicemarshal

Cleaning poo off a fan is a tricky business. I personally wouldn't recommend using toilet paper, but if you must, remember to turn the fan off first.

Why are you throwing poo at a fan in the first place?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
LOL haha@ posion ivy* no lie! when me and 2 other friends were 13, one day playing in a small section of woods, a friend had to go to bathroom, so he went in somebushes. Saw him 3 days later, he was at hospitol. apparently, he grabed some green leaves to wipe and take a wild guess what he grabbed. it was poison ivy!! we all loked at eachother like it was something that should not have ever happened to anyone

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by airvicemarshal

Bar none the best survivalist toilet paper: Comfrey leaf (symphytum Officinal) Allatoin (same as aloe ) very softy mucilageous leaf found in all growing zones except the desert regions of the southwest. Also the premier cut closer and bone mender.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
LOL @ the topic....SHTF toilet paper....classic!

Try this:

declubz.com...

Warning though, it may cause this:

s-ec-sm.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Very nice!

Where the heck did you find that tree shot?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I personally would use next doors poodle, its soft and fluffy , and its self cleaning so you can re-use to your hearts content..
Just don't let it lick you though.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Here's the official British Government advice about what to do about your lavatory arrangements in the event of a nuclear war. It was part of a series of broadcasts to be shown to the British public by the Wartime Broadcasting Service.

Don't care for the mushroom cloud at the beginning ... those videos would scare the hell out of you, let alone the prospect of a nuclear war starting.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Ulala]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

My son just informed me that tree has a green dingleberry.

MM

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
lets face it, if the SHTF, its not going to be "Eden" for another 100 years. Forget the toilet paper and use the cat. After using the cat, gut it and eat it. Toilet paper....sheesh

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Just remember ... "Leaves of Three, Let it Be!" Don't want to compound your problems with itchiness in unthinkable areas

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I stock up on Dollar General generic of Scott Tissue. It lasts a long time and is $3 for 4 rolls, or $5 for 6 rolls here.
But I also have Lamb's Ear planted as an 'ornamental'. Fuzzy, soft leaves = Bandaging and cleansing.

You can buy Lamb's Ear here.

edit to add link to purchase...

[edit on 6/23/10 by preparanoid]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join