It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***SECRET BONE CHILLING – EPA Gulf of Mexico LIVE & DEATH Report***

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gold_Bug

Thanks for posting, BUT, please before you start freaking out and freaking everyone else out look at the information you have and consider it for a while before posting.

Look at the levels that are considered safe here for Hydrogen Sulphide LINK now you said the amounts found in the air were parts per billion and that the EPA state safe levels to be XX parts per billion. If you look at the report again you will see that it is actually parts per million which means you multiply by 1000 to gets parts per billion. I.E. 3-5 parts per million safe is 3000-5000 parts per billion safe.!!

Go check your numbers on the video and the EPA sites, you don't need special access to the CDC just put Hydrogen Sulphide safe levels into Google and you will have your answer.

Now go back to your first post and EDIT IT saying "DON'T PANIC just yet, but be aware levels are rising!!!!" I understand you want to get involved which is great. I also understand you probably want to help save people from harm; but if you release information like this with out first checking the data, then checking it again, and then posting said information for validation, you should not post it as FACT!

Consider the family who are scared witless and read your post and drive like a wombat to escape the deadly chemical and either runs someone over over crashes his car killing his family!

Brief exposures to high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide (greater than 500 ppm parts per million) which is 500,000 parts per billion (ppb) can kill. lesser amounts will cause problems but unlikely to kill unless already infirm or old

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Which way does the EPA want to have it?

This way: EPA's air monitoring conducted through June 12, 2010, has found that air quality levels for ozone and particulates are normal on the Gulf coastline for this time of year.

OR This way: EPA has observed odor-causing pollutants associated with petroleum products along the coastline at low levels. Some of these chemicals may cause short-lived effects like headache, eye, nose and throat irritation, or nausea. People may be able to smell some of these chemicals at levels well below those that would cause short-term health problems.

OK, so if the pollutants cause headaches, nausea, etc., how are these not short-term health problems??

ALSO, what if the contaminants are not ozone or particulates? (Why are they writing about ozone anyway?)

Sure looks to me like correct-speak, and they are covering up something.

EPA Webpage Link

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
[edited for errors]

You are right.

Second line.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The concentration threshold for people to experience physical symptoms from hydrogen sulfide is about 5 to 10 parts per billion. But as recently as last Thursday, the EPA measured levels at 1,000 ppb. The highest levels of airborne hydrogen sulfide measured so far were on
May 3, at 1,192 ppb.

williams interview
volital organic compounds in the air
hsulfide 5 10 per billion
tested blowing to shore
1200 ppb

www.abovetopsecret.com...
posted on 10-6-2010 @ 03:33 PM TO:

"Lindsey Williams On AJones I am recording "

there so to aj and williams detractors
do you know what you look like now?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
1000 ppb = 1 ppm
100 ppb = 0.1 ppm
10 ppb = 0.01 ppm
1 ppb = 0.001 ppm

5ppm=5000 ppB

should I say say DuH here?

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
[edited for double post]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
1000 ppb = 1 ppm
100 ppb = 0.1 ppm
10 ppb = 0.01 ppm
1 ppb = 0.001 ppm

5ppm=5000 ppB

nvm you are right.

i just woke up. lol

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
ozone has nothing to do with this
ozonating water or air PURIFIES it

particulate means particles

NOW
the air quality now that we have our math and chemistry straight
is what the OP said
and it is what I said last week!

DAMN DANGEROUS!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You make it sound like the sky falling. If I can last through 15 hurricanes, a little bad air isn't going to make me leave my home. What you never heard of gas masks before? Yeah the oil problem is really bad, and its worse when BP burns the stuff. But when you live down here on the gulf coast you take alot of things in stride. And after 40+ years of living down here I don't have an extra arm growing out of my back. Some of you folks really make me laugh with all your doom and gloom posts. I gotta look at the red oily goo washing up on my beach everyday. Oh and our national guard unit is posted to Iraq since 2007. Only thing at the armory is the weeds growing up through the concrete...

Get a grip on all the doom & gloom stuff..

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

It's true that toxic gases and voc's are being emitted from the blown out well and it is obvious that it is out of control. However, before jumping the gun it sounds like Lindsay Williams was off by quite a bit with his figures. Lindsay was talking in "parts per billion" and all safety data is given in parts per million. Take this example for Hydrogen Sulfide . The correct safety data is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H2S Safety Factsheet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 2004
Hydrogen sulfide (H2S, CAS# 7783-06-4) is an extremely hazardous, toxic compound. It is a colourless, flammable gas that can be identified in relatively low concentrations, by a characteristic rotten egg odor. The gas occurs naturally in coal pits, sulfur springs, gas wells, and as a product of decaying sulfur-containing organic matter, particularly under low oxygen conditions. It is therefore commonly encountered in places such as sewers, sewage treatment plants (H2S is often called sewer gas), manure stockpiles, mines, hot springs, and the holds of fishing ships. Industrial sources of hydrogen sulfide include petroleum and natural gas extraction and refining, pulp and paper manufacturing, rayon textile production, leather tanning, chemical manufacturing and waste disposal.

Hydrogen sulfide has a very low odor threshold, with its smell being easily perceptible at concentrations well below 1 part per million (ppm) in air. The odor increases as the gas becomes more concentrated, with the strong rotten egg smell recognisable up to 30 ppm. Above this level, the gas is reported to have a sickeningly sweet odor up to around 100 ppm. However, at concentrations above 100 ppm, a person's ability to detect the gas is affected by rapid temporary paralysis of the olfactory nerves in the nose, leading to a loss of the sense of smell. This means that the gas can be present at dangerously high concentrations, with no perceivable odor. Prolonged exposure to lower concentrations can also result in similar effects of olfactory fatigue. This unusual property of hydrogen sulfide makes it extremely dangerous to rely totally on the sense of smell to warn of the presence of the gas.

Health Effects of Hydrogen Sulfide

H2S is classed as a chemical asphyxiant, similar to carbon monoxide and cyanide gases. It inhibits cellular respiration and uptake of oxygen, causing biochemical suffocation. Typical exposure symptoms include:

LOW
0 - 10 ppm Irritation of the eyes, nose and throat

MOD
10 - 50 ppm Headache
Dizziness
Nausea and vomiting
Coughing and breathing difficulty

High
50 - 200 ppm Severe respratory tract irritation
Eye irritation / acute conjunctivitis
Shock
Convulsions
Coma
Death in severe cases

Prolonged exposures at lower levels can lead to bronchitis, pneumonia, migraine headaches, pulmonary edema, and loss of motor coordination.

Working with Hydrogen Sulfide

Most countries have legal limits in force that govern the maximum allowable levels of exposure to hydrogen sulfide in the working environment. A typical permissible exposure limit in many countries is 10 ppm. While the distinctive odor of H2S is easily detected, its olfactory fatigue effects mean that one cannot rely on the nose as a warning device. The only reliable way to determine exposure levels is to measure the amount in the air. Regular monitoring will help to identify areas and operations likely to exceed permissible exposure limits, and any areas that routinely pose overexposure hazards should be equipped with continuous monitoring systems.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Danbones is correct.

Originally posted by Danbones
1000 ppb = 1 ppm
100 ppb = 0.1 ppm
10 ppb = 0.01 ppm
1 ppb = 0.001 ppm

5ppm=5000 ppB

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Thats some funny stuff. I have worked around, been splashed with and inhailed JP-8 for the last 17 years, and I don't have an extra arm growing out of my head, or had anything negitive come back on a blood test. So just use your head folks, don't go to the coast if you're weak.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
www.scottecatalog.com...

TECH & SAFETY DATA
Scott specialty gasses and equipement

yes i an going to say DUH now

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
VOCs, hydrogen sulfide, and benzene explained.

LINK (long read, very detailed)

Also note that benzene is present in crude, and evaporates into the air.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

ppb means parts per billion, like 1 ml in 1 billion mls, the billion is in the divisor:
1 ppb = 1/1,000,000,000

1 ppm is 1 ml in 1,000,000: 1 ppm = 1/1,000,000

Now which number is larger?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The US government already has a ton of experience denying environmental illnesses - if you look at how they shut down people making claims for "Gulf War Syndrome" and first responders to 911.They do not put much money into studying this as ultimately it legitimizes these illnesses. BP will use the exact same tactics that worked so well for the US government, SSA and the military denying benefits for environmental illnesses.

People who are already suffering from environmental illnesses and chemical sensitivities who will probably fall ill first - no one is going to listen to them. When otherwise healthy people become ill en masse how are they going to cover it up?

edited to change "Gulf Oil Syndrome" to "Gulf War Syndrome" and spelling.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by ChrisCrikey]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by b.jim

So that means in early may the levels werent life threatening? Are they now? Im confused as to what the current levels are.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
listen
I am just trying to keep the DATA straight so people who do give a damn can make informed decisions

the flaq and ridicule sorts it self out in the face of the facts
and in that light all the flaq I have put up with while trying to publish the truth is water of a ducks back

there are cripples little old ladies children sick people etc
and most don't have a clue this is going down on them so..

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

1 ppm is 1000 ppb

so the ppm is a thousand time bigger that the ppB

to day on the radio a caller said he is 20 miles in land in alabama
it smells like a shop full of harlies
it is agrivating his bronchitis
that would be Benzene I am told.
so it is worse the more that hole spews and in the direction the wind blows

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is posted on What Really Happened.
It is a news report and seems to confirm the danger of the gas situation.
Good luck to all in the gulf region.
This does not look good.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join