It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First horse cloned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

They cloned a horse. They did something.Then cloned it using ooctyes from a live mare.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Incredible stuff that!

I wonder what impact this will have on the Equine industry as a whole?

Wow, endless possibilities!

Probably should wait to see how this little guy works out first though, and subsequent clones before getting to far ahead of ourselves though. I mean who knows what this thing will grow up to be like...

I'd be endlessly looking over my shoulder for this thing to turn into something like 'Church' (the psycho killer back from the dead cat) from Steven King's Pet Cemetery.

I guess we'll wait and see...

peace

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Interesting. I do note that he is not the same color as the original? So coat color must be environmentally determined?

And I wonder how he will age. Do clones still age at an accelerated rate?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
you know what .. this crap just freaks me out !!!! Maybe I watch to many movies..

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
While it is brilliantly clever to clone an animal, I am uneasy about it.

Do you think the original creator will be pleased? There is probably a copyright.

Flying too near the sun, I fear.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Interesting. I do note that he is not the same color as the original? So coat color must be environmentally determined?

And I wonder how he will age. Do clones still age at an accelerated rate?

It's common for a foal to be dark and lighten with age. Just sayin.

Speaking of 'age' I didn't know clones aged at a faster rate than 'normal' animals.

Wow - Something else to research today - thanks!

Added note: If what you say is true - the aging process accelerated - it could be a huge boon for the horse industry as it's a hit to the money belt to have to support a foal for 2 1/2 to 3 years before it's knees are 'closed' enough to be ridden at length.

If the foals accelerated growth 'made up' for this - people will be backing foals much sooner... Which just brings up a whole other set of problems... UGH...

Probably better not to mess with nature at all from the get go...

peace

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

That's the gray gene in horses. All gray horses are born a "color" and go gray with age. There is color called Dominant White, but it is very rare, and the horse is born white.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
They will want to bring back all the great horses for racing, lol.

The sheiks in the arab world especially, will love to have there amazing horses back.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Incredible stuff that!

I wonder what impact this will have on the Equine industry as a whole?

Wow, endless possibilities!

Probably should wait to see how this little guy works out first though, and subsequent clones before getting to far ahead of ourselves though. I mean who knows what this thing will grow up to be like...

I'd be endlessly looking over my shoulder for this thing to turn into something like 'Church' (the psycho killer back from the dead cat) from Steven King's Pet Cemetery.

I guess we'll wait and see...

peace

Silon, 13, I'm just wondering. Do you want this to help the horse so that it will be better for bullriding?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It's common for a foal to be dark and lighten with age. Just sayin.

The picture they show, is of the foal being dark brown and the original being white, that doesn't seem right that it would go from being dark-brown to white. But at this stage I'm lazy enough to take your word for it.

What ever happened to that monkey they cloned?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Silo, 13, I'm just wondering. Do you want this to help the horse so that it will be better for bullriding?

I actually don't agree with cloning for horses at all. Period.

That 'special horse' is a once in a lifetime shot with horses - and one of the most profoundly fundamental and magic parts of horses in my opinion.

As far as I would ever want to go with controlling horse breeding, other than artificial insemination, is allowing a competition mare (or an exceedingly valuable mare) to have her eggs collected to be carried by a surrogate mare. But then still only allowing for one registrable offspring from said mare a year...

Anyway... Enough of that talk or I'll cry! lol

reply to post by ghostsoldier

The picture they show, is of the foal being dark brown and the original being white, that doesn't seem right that it would go from being dark-brown to white.

Yeah you can believe me.
I raised horses professionally for more years than I want to admit here on ATS.
And yeah, foals born very dark, depending on their genetics, can turn gray, then white as they age.

Edit spelling eeek!
That'll teach me to listen to 'Shakira - Waca Waca' while posting!

[edit on 16-6-2010 by silo13]

top topics

join