It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brigette Bardot Fined for Inciting Racial Hatred

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I don't know what to think about this, I believe in free speech and have no problem with opposing opinions, but how do you know when to draw the line?

Actress fined after attacking gays, Muslims in her book
PARIS - French actress-turned-animal rights activist Brigitte Bardot was convicted Thursday of inciting racial hatred and ordered to pay $6,000 � the fourth such fine for the former sex symbol since 1997.

The Paris court sentenced Bardot, 69, for remarks in her book �A Scream in the Silence,� an outspoken attack on gays, immigrants and the jobless that shocked France last year.
In the book, she laments the �Islamization of France� and the �underground and dangerous infiltration of Islam.�

�Mme. Bardot presents Muslims as barbaric and cruel invaders, responsible for terrorist acts and eager to dominate the French to the extent of wanting to exterminate them,� the court said.

I am also wondering if the same can be done here on the internet in a message board and if there is any involvement with the Patriot Act? because if that is the case, there are many example of what could be called attempts to incite racial hatred.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Dear God that's not like her, erm or is it? what exactly did she say to be convincted of that, and besides $6,000 isn't much to her is it?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
WorldWatcher, I understand your concern, but it seems that, in a completely forgivable way, and like many other Americans, you seem to believe that the laws and customs of your country are universal, and that other countries somehow have an obligation to follow the same principles of law that you have in your country.

In my country (Canada), and I believe in France, we have laws against hate speech and literature. We do not place the same legal value on absolute freedom of speech as you Americans do. I personally (and this is just my opinion) much prefer our system... regular old political speech is completely free, but people are not free to incite hatred or violence. Of course, it's a matter of personal preference.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexKennedywe have laws against hate speech and literature. We do not place the same legal value on absolute freedom of speech as you Americans do.

why, it does go against the right of free speech, give an example how it isnt a right to say what you think even if its hateful.

you liberal nations like canada, belgium, etc claim to want rights but if anyone has other opinions you think are bad they are banned from being spoken then you turn around and condemn christians and others for wanting to ban or speaking against gays, promiscious sex, etc?

how hipicritical is that? i think america is the only country with a true grasp on universal freedoms, freedom of speech is freedom of speech not freedom of speech unless its offensive, your way is a joke but what do i know.

[edit on 11-6-2004 by namehere]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
[

you liberal nations like canada, belgium, etc claim to want rights but if anyone has other opinions you think are bad they are banned from being spoken then you turn around and condemn christians and others for wanting to ban or speaking against gays, promiscious sex, etc?

[edit on 11-6-2004 by namehere]

Now I've seen everything. Entire nations called 'liberal'. What's a 'conservative' country, Saudi Arabia? But anyway, I knew Bardot was nuts for animals, but I didn't know she was really nuts! Sad that such a beauty truns out to be so ugly.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Actually Bardot is being censured for saying a historical truth, refer to the invasion of europe by Islamic Armies. Charles Martel (688 - 741 C.E.) was most famous for the Battle of Tours (732 C.E.), near Poitiers, in which he successfully defeated the Saracen Moors in their invasion of France, thus preserving Christian Europe from the encroachment of Islam. His byname, "Martel," meant "hammer" and was used to describe the way he indefatigably drove back the Moorish invasion.

The people conquered by these armies had to convert to Islam or face death as infidels.

Whats different between then and now? or do the French have to alter history to fit todays politics.

[edit on 11-6-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I have not read the book she wrote so I wouldn't want to pass judgment until then. We all know that the French are a little tight in the shorts and are affraid because their country has been taken over by radical muslims.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of a law that restricts speech inciting hatred or violence because that can be taken so loosely. I could see if the speech actually does incite something, but what if doesn't, can it still be considered as such. Cause I mean, you can take political speeches as inciting hatred or violence for opposing views.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ha ha. That's good stuff.

" '...There are many people who are filthy, badly dressed and badly shaven.' "

"..condemns the presence of women in government and denounces the 'scandal of unemployment benefits.' "

Interesting...
But seriously, Islam is an ideology, not a race. It's not racist to criticize Islam or observe its history. Liberals have this sensitivity to the criticism of non-native religious ideologies, but when it comes to political ideologies everything's fair. Muslims in France and most of Europe refuse to integrate. Their culture deserves to be criticized emphatically. If that draws "disaffected Muslim youth" out for violence, then let's crack some heads and get it over with. Or ship them back to their Arabian paradise.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I wonder who they should fine for the Koran. Plenty of hate speech in there. I mean all the killing of the Christians and Jews, or, is that not considered hate speech.

Personally, I'd like to see her give them a check that she wiped her a** on.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Can't put the blame on France alone. Thing about what happens here in the US. Look at Jimmy Kimmel. Got his show cancled for making fun of Detroit. Jimmy The Greek fired for making factual statements about slaves. John Rocker for comments about minorities in NY. Howard Stern for exercising his right to free speech. Look at the sexual harassment law. Thats another one as well. If I make racially insensitive comments I could be sued. Its not just France. Its here too.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings on this topic, because I strongly disagree with her beliefs about Muslims and homosexuals. But I think people should be able to say what they want.

What I want to know is, what constitutes as libel or slander? An untrue attack on a single person, or could it be a whole race of people? Not that I think this is libel, but I do think it is ignorant stereotyping.

top topics

join