It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the oil can not be stopped?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I know there are a hundred threads on the oil spill but I could not find one by this title. This thread is NOT for ways to stop it. It is NOT for lay blame. It is NOT for what is going on down there. It is for one thing only. To try and guess and figure out as best as we can what kind of world we will have if it can not be stopped. Will the whole world be covered in oil? The likely hood of a big fire maybe world wide. The weather changes. The food chain effect. Lets just pretend that it can not be stopped, then what. I think we need to keep this in mind just in case

[edit on 6/13/2010 by fixer1967]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
what will happen, well there will be a massive drop in oxygen levels worldwide, people, animals sea life will probably die off by 99% or more. There will be no food to eat or water to drink and the place will smell like a BP petrol station. Luckily they spent all your pension money on underground bunkers! Dammit where did I put my 33 degree bunker pass?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

i've wondered this as well. BTW your thread title is misspelled you may want to fix that for better understanding by some. Here are a few things that could happen, the oil will continue to spill & the oil will spread out into the atlantic, as this happens it will spill across the whole eastern united states, along with the gulf. As this happens the oil & mainly dispersant could be absorbed into the air and start to rain down on the land killing many things and possibly poisoning water supplies.

Along with what i just mentioned happening, the area under the sea bed that contains the oil could be displaced (a large empty pocekt) and it could collapse, causing a great amount of earth displacement and possibly even a tsunami. We do not know how much oil is down there and that will eventually spew out so its hard to say worse case scenarios. One of the worse parts about this spill is the Corexit (dispersant) being used at it is HIGHLY deadly. Here are some other things that could happen if this continues.

1-All the life in the Gulf could be wiped out ruining fishing & millions of other occupations.
2-A hurricane could come through and spread the oil hundreds of miles inland.

these are just a few things that could happen, its wayyyyy to hard to determine exactly. hope this helps

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
How hard is it to make a giant Cork.

Really.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
LOL Giant Cork i love it!!!

Really though me thinks this will be the excuse for disclosure the leak will go on and on and on until they say we have tried everything and nothing works then BAMMMM visitors show up to save us and everyone gets in line to see.

Have a gun handy LOL

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It will not flow forever, think of a balloon it should flow but eventually it should slow down then stop. Hopefully anyway.

If it continues for months we are all in trouble.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Ive read that there is speculation that the sea floor in the GOM is fractured. If this is true....well there will be no stopping the leaks and the whole world is going to pay the price for this.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I was looking through the images of the oil that NASA has taken over the last several weeks and the caption of one of those photos was talking about why the oil was so visible in the pictures and it was something I never really thought about until now, but apparently the oil changes the reflectivity of the water's surface, never really took that into consideration but reflectivity of the oceans on a massive scale can definately have an impact on the reigonal climate. If the oil continues to spread into the Atlantic and beyond, changing the reflectivity of the oceans on a global scale could be a nasty business. There's so many worse case scenarios bouncing around in regards to this disaster, but that's one little facet that hasn't been discussed. Also oil slicked water isn't going to evaporate as quickly, which makes me wonder what kind of impact this is going to have on the climate especially if the leak continues unabated.
Unprecedented events like this are impossible to predict, but some of the worse case scenarios are scary enough to call them an extinction level event. Sounded a little over the top to me until it hit me that the oceans are where most of our oxygen comes from, and we're spreading oil across them at a rate that boggles the mind, so before the usual suspects arrive to call the OP a 'gloomer' or 'doomer', I think it's important to discuss the worse case scenarios.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well, if the oil can NOT be stopped, then there will be lots of jobs for clean-up. I was watching Mike Huckabee on FOXNEW.com (June 13, 2010) and there were guests presenting useful methods of cleaning up oil in water, from biodegradable, organic material to hair!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
With all that lube, at least that pesky thing called friction will be able to be removed from the laws of physics! So...it'll be sort of like now, but more slippery.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lynzer
Ive read that there is speculation that the sea floor in the GOM is fractured. If this is true....well there will be no stopping the leaks and the whole world is going to pay the price for this.

There is video of it coming out of cracks in the sea floor, so it would seem that a fracture is well within the realm of possibility. However, we're not talking about an unlimited supply of oil, so it will end when the pressure equalizes, but that still leaves us with a pretty huge mess to deal with. I'll be curious as to the true consequences of a busted up sea floor...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
They drilled 40000 feet into an underwater volcano, to get to the Batholith. This is where oil is anaerobic, created by microorganisms, its supply probably unlimited, heated and pressurized by MAGMA under it.

The oil will never stop flowing unless the intake mouth tapping into the batholith is plugged, and even that, they're having trouble at the outtake mouth where the oil is flowing out of the damaged pipe.

It's like carefully inserting a hollow needle into a big rubber balloon filled with water. It's going to keep flowing until the volcano collaspes into itself if the pressure in the batholite formation loses too much pressure through the leak and the roof collapses under the weight of the water.

This is a big IF. Maybe the leak is not too big and the anaerobic microorganisms will restore itself adequately, creating more oil, more pressure, and the oceans will suffer a slow death as the oil flows for decades or centuries.

They could nuke the hole and either seal the hole at the surface, but the pipes, and they are broken- are the cause of new leaks appearing around the main leak because the oil is now flowing through new fissures through the damaged pipes. On the other hand, they could nuke at the undersea surface, but it might shatter the bedrock and create new fissures, ensuring a quicker death for sweet mother Earth.

To stop this gusher, they must seal the leak from as close as possible to the roof of the batholite formation. It might mean drilling 25000-40000 feet into the undersea. This is impossible with today's technology but If they don't start doing something, even funneling the oil into collector ships billions may die within decades.

TPTB will never care about us. We are just collateral damage. They, on the other hand, have bunkers deep inside the Earth and nuclear arsenals.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by star in a jar]

[edit on 14-6-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
My belief is that we would overcome.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by brocket99
I pray that we will. It will take co-operation between people not seen since... well who knows when.

By 30 years, We WILL have to grow plants wall to wall in our homes to clean and recycle the air as much as possible because air quality outdoors will be highly dangerous, and this is about 30 years into the possible future of 30 years of nonstop gushing of the poisonous gases from Mother Earth's bowels.

In time, the leak will seal itself, it could be years... or decades.. maybe even more.

Toxic rains will decimate the World's forests while the plankton and seaweed are being wiped out. We will lose major volumes of our precious, precious oxygen. Casualties will peak as food stores dwindle, producing sickly fruit as insect populations crash.

Much of life will be wiped out except for some hardy species that will inherit the new Earth along with mortal Illuminati 'Gods' who survived in their lovely bunkers with plans to redesign Earth into their image, swearing never to loosen the leash just a little bit that time around

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Well there has been a larger disaster than this happen and it's been going now for 45 years and noone has been able to stop it.

en.wikipedia.org...

the mine has been burning and releasing the largest methane, co2, carbon monoxide, sulfur in the world.

40+ years and scientists say it will burn another 200 years

but you don't see people trying to stop this or media all over it. Cause like all so called disasters, it's only news, when it's NEW.

Centralia at the moment is a larger disaster than this oil for the moment, 45+ years of these worlds largest amounts of gasses pumping into the atmosphere non stop and for the next 200 years. And people gave up trying to stop it.

I think that is what will happen to this oil thing. Exactly like what happened in Centralia it was huge at first, tons and tons trying to stop it, media every single day, non stop coverage. Newspapers going nuts with conspiracies. People all upset.

Then time went by, the sensationalism drifted off, less people talked about it, newspapers moved on to latest murders, riots, kidnappings, wars. People forgot, scientist slowly moved on to other things. The government revoked Centralia's zip code and township and moved everyone, paid them all off and bought them homes in other towns.

Yet the disaster kept going, and as more time went on everyone slowly backed off and everyone forgot about it.

Go ahead ask anyone about it and I bet more than 90% of the public has no idea about the Centralia disaster that is still going today and will be going for next 200 years.

So based on that disaster, and eventually the media moving on to other things so the people could forget, I bet the same thing will happen here. Everyone will eat up their American Idol, Movie Awards, Reality tv shows, the only news will be people like Bill Oreilly harping about some politics and everyone out to get you, Nancy Grace will cry over yet another kidnapped blonde hair blue eyed girl and in the next few years people will say BP what?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
There's a difference with that mine, yea it's emitting gases but obviously not enough gases to really harm the atmosphere.

This oil well is polluting the water harming the ecosystem. You take out one ecosystem and it affects others, it's a chain of events.

Some say it's not just oil coming out of the well but methane as well. Which would be worse than if it was just oil.

But don't be so quick to call this off as not being significant because this leak is affecting a delicate ecosystem.

I'd like to wait and see just what it will do to the Gulf though before I jump to a conclusion, but if it keeps flowing into the water it definately will affect somebody.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Judohawk]

new topics

top topics

join