It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What % of the news is actually real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
How much of the news is real news? How would we know the difference? I understand people travel and move around a lot, i realize there is troops at war in the ME, but how much of what we see on the news, or how much of the information that we get, is even real?

Can we honestly say what year it is?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'd say the weather is pretty accurate. Local goings on like robberies, shootings local stuff are pretty accurate but anything to do with government would be questionable.

If that's anywhere close to the truth its about 66% accurate. It may be more or less I really don't know. All I see is the further tightening up of the noose on humanity every time I watch it. More taxes, more laws, higher... click and I turn it off and try to find something positive or uplifting.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It depends. Some things are news and are accurately reported because the facts are known up front and are not subject to interpretation or slant.

Some things are filtered through the humans dong the reporting. No one can be 100% neutral so we get what is popularly labeled "spin". Some of that is deliberate, some of it is just a matter of humans being involved.

We are lied to when someone does not report something just as much as if that person told a verbal or written lie. That happens too.

Sometimes inaccuracies are reported just because facts are not known, or can't be known. Sometimes those inaccuracies are cleared up later, sometimes they are repeated over and over again and become "the truth" in the majority of the public's mind.

I don't usually believe the news unless corroborated and try to stay conscious of the fact that often "facts" evolve as more "facts" become available. I *love* the internet and the age of the instant news cycle but with it we have to accept a certain amount of inaccuracy, evolution, manipulation to garner viewers/readers and a significant portion of the population still unaware of the "new paradigm" of "news".

All in all, I wouldn't go back willingly to hearing my news only at 6pm and reading 24 hour old news in the morning paper.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
this information is for everyone about everything, even what you already know as true.

10% of any story is real. even sci-fi has 10% based in fact. so no matter what you read or hear or watch, no matter who it comes from only 10% of whatever it is should ever be considered as fact.

2 + 2 = 4 10% true. if your working for the government its 2 + 2 = 5 million.

but yeah only ever trust 10%.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm not sure it's so much that it's lies, but that they pick which facts to tell and tell one side of the story.

Like the freedom flotilla. How many times have you seen them talking about how the violent terrorists disarmed IDF soldiers and restrained them?

Or that the flotilla doctors that brought them back to their unit after applying first aid, as an gesture of peace showing they were not going to kill anyone, were shot as a thank you?

But how many times have you seen the poor IDF soldiers getting hit with pipes?

No doubt it happened, but why do they only show that part over and over?

Are they maybe doing damage control because they killed people who obviously did not want to kill them?

Could they perhaps have an agenda? ROFL

[edit on 13-6-2010 by At0mZer0]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Depends on the source... Fox News obviously has one of the lower percentages of truth / showing the whole story, but MSNBC's and Huff Post's "spin" isn't all that far behind (they're just a little more clever about it). You could get a more honest story from a comedy show at this point. NPR seems decent though.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by TurboDC4]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
23 percent.

That is all.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The media mega-corporations we have today are not interested in, nor are they required by any laws, to tell us the truth in any matter.
what they present as news these days is shoddy hearsay at best, planted propaganda at worst.
Notice all the stories we get fed on a daily basis, especially those about our supposed bogeymen enemies, that are all bogus?
After a screaming sensationalist headline, for anyone following on and reading further, we find supposition, innuendo, hearsay and unnamed anonymous sources. Even when these headline stories are proven to be false, retractions, if they appear, will be a column inch tucked away amongst adverts. The seed has been sown already though through the original headline. This all explains why the print media has taken such a bashing over the last few years.

The corporate media, it must be remembered, have other financial interests to protect as well. Oil, military, Pharmaceutical corporations all have big shareholders, and the big media corps are in it all up to their necks. They are hardly going to report anything negative about a government or corporation they have a financial interest in.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
The incorrect information start long before the press gets it. Every corporation has its own personal spokesman. This person is instructed on how he/she is to present information to the press and to the public. If you ask this person anything beyond what he/she is instructed to talk about, You will get no comment.

My guess is that about 1% is correct, but that depends on how many facts you already know about the subjected news. The more facts you know the less accurate the news becomes.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Nope, robberies reported are not even real.

Either are murders. Somebody kills somebody else in a moment where they lose control because some emotional situation.

Whereas corporations engage in hiring armies where masses of people a slaughtered in order that they can make a larger profit, but all you ever hear about in the news in the guy who lost it and killed somebody.

The news is deception. It's all a lie. Maybe 15% is reality. The rest is propaganda to control you and tell you who the bad guys are, so the real bad ones can go about their business.

The world is a game of deception. The news is just a tool of the game.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
I'd say the weather is pretty accurate. Local goings on like robberies, shootings local stuff are pretty accurate but anything to do with government would be questionable.

Why is "anything to do with government" questionable if it is reported through an independent press?

I don't know what country you live in, but I think the UK press is able to report and provide opinion on government and does so regularly. A free press is essential and happens.

Oh, I know that there will be some who are convinced that even the UK press is somehow a lapdog of MI5, the lizard people or the Queen, but that is just pants and silliness.

There is enough local and national press of quality in the UK (daily Mail and Sun are not included as "quality” per se) who are able (and do) question the government. The recent scandal over expenses is a good indicator that the press is proactive.

The press in Iran or China on the other hand...

Regards

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by Voyager1

Why is "anything to do with government" questionable if it is reported through an independent press?

I don't know what country you live in, but I think the UK press is able to report and provide opinion on government and does so regularly. A free press is essential and happens.

Oh, I know that there will be some who are convinced that even the UK press is somehow a lapdog of MI5, the lizard people or the Queen, but that is just pants and silliness.

There is enough local and national press of quality in the UK (daily Mail and Sun are not included as "quality” per se) who are able (and do) question the government. The recent scandal over expenses is a good indicator that the press is proactive.

The press in Iran or China on the other hand...

Regards

The general public can not easily peep into the Government and see for itself if everything that is said in the News lines up with actual facts.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Hummm... It seems to me that if one assumes everything reported is incorrect or an out and out lie one is left with not having a bloody clue about what is going on because of an unwillingness to accept *anything*. Either posters in this thread are not being especially forthcoming in their posts or the posters are *ignorant*.

Sorry.

A *fact* is a *fact* no matter what one's *opinion* or *political philosophy* may be.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

"I'd say the weather is pretty accurate"

I just spit a bit of beer on my keyboard..thank you for the laugh.

_on topic_

I really dont know how you would begin to calculate an answer to your question. The old saying goes"dont believe everything you hear"
i think that about sums up this whole thread in my opinion....

~meathead

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It's mostly lies. The only reason to watch mainstream news is so you can see what kind of propaganda they are trying to dish out.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geeky_Bubbe
Hummm... It seems to me that if one assumes everything reported is incorrect or an out and out lie one is left with not having a bloody clue about what is going on because of an unwillingness to accept *anything*. Either posters in this thread are not being especially forthcoming in their posts or the posters are *ignorant*.

Sorry.

A *fact* is a *fact* no matter what one's *opinion* or *political philosophy* may be.

A fact is a fact but what I'm saying is for instance I have not been to the gulf and seen oil with my own two eyes spewing into the ocean. How do I know they don't have a valve they can shut off any time they want. What if its not even oil? You could oil up a few birds for the News and all the while be pumping some kind of thick dye out there that's not even harmful to the environment. I don't think they are letting anyone near it are they? So I'm not going to know for myself. I can take someone's word for it. I always wonder though.

Truthfully I think someone bombed the oil rig and there really is oil spewing into the gulf. Yeah there's oil in the gulf no doubt but they aren't going to tell you the 100% truth about every detail of it. How, when, where who and why.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

Do you need to know every detail of how your electricity was generated and delivered to your home before you believe there is electricity flowing to your computer?

Without getting mired in the philosophical twists and turns, most things in our merely mortal lives are reduced to natural deduction.

A judgment is something that is knowable, that is, an object of knowledge. It is evident if one in fact knows it.

Perhaps our deductive reasoning skills differ. I do not need to go to the Gulf of Mexico and test the "gooy viscus black substance" to know that it is indeed oil. No more than I need to "prove" to myself that if I jammed a pencil through my eye I would do my vision a great, irreparable, harm.

[edit on 15/6/10 by Geeky_Bubbe]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Sometimes they get major stories wrong,

WMDs in Iraq,
ACORN bogus video,
Marjah, Afghanistan isn't even a village let alone a city of 80,000.

But what are all the stories they AREN'T telling us,

either because corporate editors are clamping down on them
or that they don't even know, because no investigative reporter is out digging the dirt up about public officials, bureaucracies, corporations & foreign events.

They are all cutting down, & down & down on staffing.
So it all gets shallower & most of the stories are just rehashes of what some other news agency has reported instead of original, significant reporting.

I can't stand how nauseatingly patronizing some so-called news can be.

don't try & nice things up for me.
tell it to me straight.
When good things happen report the facts.
When bad things happen report the facts.
Don't put a bunch of plastic smiling air-heads & syrup on top.

I don't watch network news, either national or local, except for local weather reports, because they haven't screwed those up too much, yet.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It all depends on what they decide they should focus on, to move thier agenda forward, and what they decide you should know.

I think most (80%) of the news is real.

However it's more of a focus issue than a what's important issue. The media is definatly engaging in slight of hand, distraction and diversion tactics.

There is the probability that false news items (20%) are being played out as being real, including fake eye witness' and actors being employed to portray a script as reality.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wire services feed all the major newspapers and TV outlets. That's why you hear the exact same stories in the exact same order and even at the same time very often.

Documentaries like Outfoxed expose how networks are directed to deal with particular stories and subjects.

Can you imagine what would happen if people were told the truth just one day on things like government, religion, ufos, politics, terrorism etc? You would hear a collective 'pop' as millions of perceptions vanish and with it the control it has over people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join