It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Ends Plan to Put Man Back on Moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Nasa ends plan to put man back on Moon

Nasa ends plan to put man back on Moon

Nasa has begun to wind down construction of the rockets and spacecraft that were to have taken astronauts back to the Moon — effectively dismantling the US human spaceflight programme despite a congressional ban on its doing so.

[President] Obama proposed in February that it should be scrapped because it was “over budget, behind schedule and lacking in innovation”, but he has met opposition in Congress, which has yet to approve his plan.

The head of Nasa, Major-General Charlie Bolden — an Obama appointee — has now written to aerospace contractors telling them to cut back immediately on Constellation-related projects costing almost $1 billion (£690 million), to comply with regulations requiring them to budget for possible contract termination costs.

The move has been branded a “disingenuous legal manoeuvre” and referred to Nasa’s inspector-general for investigation.

Once again, this administration seems intent on ignoring the will of the American people and any opposition from Congress. Oh, no, Mr. Obama, we can't be wasting one or two billion on Nasa while we're still pumping hundreds of billions into your other FAILED "stimulus" programs. We simply can't pursue something as trivial as manned space exploration; after all, it might spark our imaginations and renew our sense of hope.

Sad and sick, isn't it — an administration that promised us HOPE is now crushing the hope out of our lives.

Sorry, lying bastard.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Don't count on bureaucrats to support anything unless it yields them tangible assets and results, such as spacebased weapons or intelligence systems.

Now that we don't have to compete with the USSR to weaponize space, nobody in the government can see any reason to keep up with the program.

Personally, I think the innovation and inspiration that would result from an expanded space program would be worth it. But again, these things aren't of much interest to politicians or policy brokers.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Funny, the amount they spend at NASA is probably a drop in the bucket compared to alot of other things they waste money on.

Doesn't surprise me. They cut back on a bunch of little things to make it look like they are trimming spending, while leaving the real money wasters around.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
"... and lacking in innovation"

Next time NASA does a 'manned return to the Moon' program, they should include the 'innovation' of quantum anti-gravity lift and propulsion - ie: a flying saucer. Or 'borrow' the military TR-3B triangle. But, if they insist on continuing to play the rocket game... then

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hope? I think all we can hope for at this point is to get through the next 2 1/2 years without losing anything else.

*sigh* Now that is out of my system
If NASA truly is over budget, behind schedule and lacking in innovation, perhaps they need some inspiration that comes from a commitment to get the job done. When we went to the moon in the '60's, NASA was inspired as were the American people. So how about some leadership and inspiration in achieving something tangible instead of trying to kill each other off for a change Mr President.

But alas, as Sink the Bismarck! said add some weapons or intelligence to the mix and they would probably be all for it.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think NASA should look to the AMERICAN PEOPLE for funds. I noticed they had some kind of space in face campaign in which they asked people to upload they're face pictures to the internet.
Well if money is truly the only thing keeping NASA from launching manned space missions than I say ask for a donation. If I clicked on nasa.gov and saw they were planning moon mission for a year from now 06/13/11 than I would donate bi weekly.

If they set an EXACT date for a manned mission than they will get donations.
I remember Obama saying sometime about 2 years ago that Nasa would have to seek funding from somewhere else so this shouldn't be a surprise.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The fact that they are dismantling this out dated technology is a good thing. Maybe they can start investing in anti-gravity propulsions like they've had all along.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Doc Velocity, You know I have to say what i think.
If there were possible poor downtrodden aliens of voting age on the moon or mars, I can assure you ACORN and OBAMA would have us on our way and landing before Nov. 2012. Obama would go personally, bow and say, Vote For Me, I'll Set You Free I'll Give You Change You Can Believe In!
That's the only way we'll get to the moon.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by guohua]

[edit on 13-6-2010 by guohua]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If you were progressives trying to scam the planet with a $10 trillion a year carbon credit trading scam...you wouldn't want to go ruining your profits by "greening" up the planet with a carbon neutral abundant energy source, like say...helium-3.

But you would privatize lunar helium-3 mining so you could control and benefit from it in the future.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by JauntyFlannigan]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well,I for one with all my personal opinions of the man, applaud him for making this decision.

NASA and all its "contractors" burned through 60+ BILLION dollars " developing" a rocket and capsule to go back to that object in the sky we all can see,and got NO WHERE.

They know we can not explore space in man built equipment.NASA just became another government entity to spend taxpayers money and do nothing.

In case you all do not comprehend it the ISS and the space shuttle never actually are in space.

That is just near earth orbit and still technically part of the earths environment.

So is the moon and we all held are collective breathe every time we sent men there.

The government is only suppose to spend taxpayers money on providing services to the citizens.

What service does NASA provide other than employing a crap load of people?

Look, we do not need to squander anymore money on manned space missions.

Lets be realistic.

You want to travel in space?

You already are on the perfect space craft that has all the support services needed to get our whole race to where it needs to go.

Who is to say that this little frigging blue marble is not on a predetermined path to where we need to go?

Go out side at night,look up into the sky and you will see where you just came from.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride and try not to destroy the spaceship we are all riding on!

Stop dreaming of space travel and realize you already are traveling in space.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
In about 20 years, or so, you will be able to take your family into the back yard on a cool autumn night and, pointing up to the crisp, clear night sky say, "Look son, can you see the Chinese cities on the moon?"

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I have been watching NasaT.V. In the past week or so, I haven't. But I heard that Nasa will stop all their flights and use Russia's help with their rockets for the next 5 years. Yeah, there is a "conspiracy" if Nasa/U.S Goverment does have the so called: Spaceships/futureistict tech, why couldn't Nasa use the advanced stuff? Has Obama made any useful obama policies that HAS helped the people of the U.S? Maybe U.S is just too poor to afford to spend any money.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
What service does NASA provide other than employing a crap load of people?

It ferries tons of national security technology into orbit for the Defense Department, for one thing, and it has enabled us to explore new technologies that require a microgravity environment for research and development, for another. But, mainly, NASA and the manned space program serve to ignite the public's imagination, which is something this administration and the government in general CANNOT DO otherwise.

In case you haven't noticed, since Obama's "stimulus" and "job creation" initiatives were launched last year, 95% of ALL jobs created in the USA have been government jobs.

That means, out of the TRILLIONS allocated for bank bail outs and stimulus, the only thing GROWING in America is the GOVERNMENT.

Pardon, but all those billions and trillions are NOT going to help you or me or the poverty-stricken or the jobless or the homeless in America... All that cash is going to create jobs for pencil-pushers and cronies in the Obama Administration.

So, yeah, by all means, let's kill the only program that sparks the public's imagination, let's kill the manned space program. Yeah, that'll allow us to expand government bureaucracy in other useless areas that benefit nobody except the government.

Only the saddest and most jaded among us would knuckle-under and surrender to the bleak, debt-ridden, dead-end future provided by this ignorant and inexperienced president and his crew of ignorant, inexperienced henchmen. That's just sick and sad.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
my heart to this news beats and bleeds with sorrow
to hear they'll be no further progression tomorrow

a cut like this gives my face a frown
it's a cut to keep the masses dumbed down

to keep man focused on earth is the key
to provide no room for visionary eyes that see

as much as we come from this planet you will know
our destiny is in the stars...that's where we'll grow

space is where man can grow from a seed
a place where one can be without need

i have in my time seen many rise and fall
but to close space exploration is to top it all

if nasa does not want to be the role key
please let me be, please let me be...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Is anybody here aware that NASA doesn't have to pay taxes? I just wanted to throw that out there.
It's my moon and I want it NOW!!!!!!!!

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Why is this news? Didn't Obama state in a speech a couple of months ago that we were not going to return to the moon? That [We had already been there] and was going to direct NASA to focus on other related research such as newer more efficient propulsion etc.

We'll just have to let the Chinese in about 15 to 20 years from now take pictures from the surface of the Apollo landing sites.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I admit I have no scientific evidence to support this but imho something is fishy about our not going back to the moon.

Can't put my finger on it - but either we already have a base - or aliens - or some strange thing - but sooo many questionable things about the moon happen it boggles the rational mind!

(and yes - I do believe we went to the moon as of this time)

Just very very strange - I hope that private spaceflight will clear up this mystery - or at least force the U.S. to become more tansparent into whatever the heck they are up to.

I have tried to get it out of my NASA sources - through friendly intoxication - and they have seem to have no clue themselves - information and decisions are very compartmentalized - as one would expect with an agency so tied to our military.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
...this video might help explain some things...

mitworld.mit.edu...

Looking Ahead to the Future of NASA
Retired Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Charles Frank Bolden
May 10, 2010
Running Time: 59:47

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
As sad as it is i think in the longrun it could be a good thing,like zules said this might open the door to better made technology,better use of funded money.

We all want to see man on the moon,making bases & strides towards other planets but it costs so much to do these days.

What if all the space agencies in the world got together & set up a world space program to benefit all mankind,that would solve alot of issues..kind of like star trek

i can only dream

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

NASA and all its "contractors" burned through 60+ BILLION dollars " developing" a rocket and capsule to go back to that object in the sky we all can see,and got NO WHERE.

When did NASA ever spend 60 billion?

Can you link me to some sources please?

I don't recall NASA ever having that much money to burn through!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join