It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The way it use to be - Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Remember when?

Those were the days when we all stood for something and we didn't fall for everything.

To some of us AMERICA STILL means freedom, love for our country and love for our fellow man.

Remember when?

To some of us AMERICA STILL means freedom, love for our country and love for our fellow man.
We will survive the gulf disaster but we will learn a lesson through it.
We must rely on ourselves and GOD. Not on big business or our impotent president and government.
Will we ever be the same?
I don't believe so.
Like 9/11/2001 where many died and their memories live with us, we will not for get the gulf.
But most of all we must NEVER forget through GOD who we are as a people and a country!

Remember when?

Remember when?

[edit on 13-6-2010 by ccsct203]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
AMEN! And thank you, OP, for this inspiring post!!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'd like to point out that John Wayne (real name Marion Morrison) was a draft dodger who skipped WW2 by getting a cozy deferment.

The man talked the patriotic talk, but his walk failed to pass muster.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sink the Bismarck!
I'd like to point out that John Wayne (real name Marion Morrison) was a draft dodger who skipped WW2 by getting a cozy deferment.

I don't really care about "John Wayne"

This post is NOT ABOUT HIM.

THIS POST IS ABOUT THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND ALL THOSE WHO LOVE IT!!!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sink the Bismarck!

To make up for that, didnt he petition the PUSA to make the movie "The Green Berets" and refuse to take a salary or any money the movie made?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicketyCricket

To make up for that, didnt he petition the PUSA to make the movie "The Green Berets" and refuse to take a salary or any money the movie made?

I don't think so. I tried looking up any information about that, but I didn't find anything about him doing it as a labor of love.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Can we get a link to the "draft dodger"
I know he got a deferment for having 4 kids
I guess it depends what your description of a draft dodger is
Any way loved Red it been a while seance I herd that on

[edit on 13-6-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

Can we get a link to the "draft dodger"
I know he got a deferment for having 4 kids
I guess it depends what your description of a draft dodger is
Any way loved Red it been a while seance I herd that on

[edit on 13-6-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

Here's some.

www.truthdig.com...

www.marine-family.org...

www.straightdope.com...

Make up your own verdict on his integrity.

EDIT: One of these links (forget which) also makes mention of "Green Berets" being subsidized by the government. I'm not sure if that answers any questions about his relation to any revenue from the film.

[edit on 13/6/10 by Sink the Bismarck!]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I am rarely presented with an opportunity so personally touching.

To TRULY "Star and flag" something so deserved, correlating, and justifiable as this First Red Skelton video is something we will RARELY do again.

I've rarely seen programming this memorable, meaningful or relevant to a choice we are all being presented with today.

I certainly don't mean to downplay ANY of the other greatly deserved and pride-filled videos; very touching indeed, but Red Skelton truly "impacted me".

Red Skelton will again be sorely missed...but not as much as Mr. Lasswell. :'(

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ccsct203

wow.. only 7 flags!!

well.. this is the first time I've heard Red Skelton's interpretation~star & Flag....

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sink the Bismarck!

So he's not patriotic because he didn't want to go to the front line to die for a cause that would only fill other people's pockets with money? Because he didn't do that, it means that he can't love the physical land, what the freedoms are supposed to stand for, and the people in it? All because he dodged the draft. If someone from the good ol' boys club had replaced John Wayne with one of their own sons, then he wouldn't even have been missed. But we know that wouldn't happen.

Believe it or not, someone can be patriotic without joining the military. I know, it's hard to fathom...
edit on 5-11-2011 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccsct203
Remember when?

But most of all we must NEVER forget through GOD who we are as a people and a country!

You might be surprised to learn that not everyone believes in god and the idea of American exceptionalism has been dead for decades (and rightly so). The display of such saccharine and misplaced patriotism makes me swell with apathy..
edit on 5-11-2011 by relpobre000 because:

edit on 5-11-2011 by relpobre000 because: i can english i swear

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ccsct203

I ran across the video in the OP last night on the youtube and thought it was great.
I was somewhat reminded of the Charlie Chaplin video that recently made the rounds:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was going to post it, but after doing a search on ATS I found this thread. So... bump for the way it used to be.

S+F

edit on 5/9/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

top topics

join