It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural diversity within ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:
la2

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The fact that US politics and economic issues effect the wider world means that American stuff will always have a greater amount on here, its the way of the world, but the middle east features just as highly on here, with both European and US comments.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by Ulala

Maybe these data will provide some insight into who's using the internet and why the contributors to ATS are distributed as they are.

www.internetworldstats.com...

These figures still don't address the "interest factor."

Not everyone is going to be interested in posting political opinions on the internet and those who are so interested may not be drawn to ATS.

[edit on 2010/6/13 by GradyPhilpott]

That was an eye opener, but now that I look at it, it all makes sense.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sallamy
It really makes me happy to see how a lot of ATS members are open to other cultures. I have been to other boards hoping to find information and update myself on the situations that are happening in the world right now and whenever I say where I am from members start to kinda bully me. I understand that they are young and do not know better but that kind of treatment pushes you away when the whole purpose of these kinda sites is uniting people, helping them and spreading the word.

I'm an Arab muslim from Dubai. Dubai is very diverse in cultures, the people here are very much exposed to everything in the world just like a westernized country. We do have problems just like any other country but the thing is people are not asking questions here because the government works for the people.

There is an abundance amount of information for people to wake up on the internet but the problem is the language barrier as someone stated before. Only about 10% of information is translated in arabic and it's hard to find. Even if i choose to tell others about it (which i try sometimes) it will be hard for them to see the whole picture because i wont be able to mention every bit of detail on the matter, it's their job also to research it and even if they know the language there is too much usage of jargons and slangs.

I'm working on a project right now, to try and translate as much as possible for the Arabs and create a database because they are deceived and manipulated just like anyone else outside of the Middle East and believe me the Islam being portrayed on the MSM is nothing like the real Islam we practice which makes me very sad to see people misjudging us and basing their arguments on how the "radicals" act in the name of some religion. brainwashed kids who blow themselves up in the name of Islam who call themselves Jihadis are condemned in Islam.

Hello,

Your project sounds interesting and wonder if there are people with expertise on ATS who can help with your mission. It all comes back to language and I stand firm by saying that there are millions of like-minded individuals out there, but we don't all speak the same language. We got to cross this barrier.

I am from the UK and have a limited understanding of Islam, but know it is portrayed in a bad light. There are religious nuts everywhere and scandals beyond belief. You just have to look at the Catholic church recently. Disgusting.

Now more than ever, we should be looking for a way to unite all our voices using all the technology available to us.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by manta78

Posters from China appear if you mention Tibet, had that happen.

I think this forum is predominantly white male.

Got to try that!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
Hello,

Your project sounds interesting and wonder if there are people with expertise on ATS who can help with your mission. It all comes back to language and I stand firm by saying that there are millions of like-minded individuals out there, but we don't all speak the same language. We got to cross this barrier.

I am from the UK and have a limited understanding of Islam, but know it is portrayed in a bad light. There are religious nuts everywhere and scandals beyond belief. You just have to look at the Catholic church recently. Disgusting.

Now more than ever, we should be looking for a way to unite all our voices using all the technology available to us.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by LarryLove]

Thx for your replay.

I don't want to be dependent on anyone doing this project, from experience working with others hinders the progress. But I welcome anyone who want's to contribute, it needs to be finished soon as things seem to be escalating fast and people need to be awakened even faster.

If you want to be awakened I don't think that anything can stop you, i've been searching for the truth for as long as I can remember and i found it when i was ready to understand it and when i did strange incidents started happening to me while meeting people from all around the world who work so hard to spread the word.

It is a matter of what you choose to receive from this life and act upon it.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well, I guess a lot of these people from other countries need to be able to speak english then.

That might help.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kommunist
Well, I guess a lot of these people from other countries need to be able to speak english then.

That might help.

I lot of people from these countries do speak English. You would be surprised by the volume of English speakers in North Korea. I am keen to see a global voice emerge to discuss global issues and break down global barriers.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
White male here, but western world..........well I live in the UK but I could be West or East of someone just depends which route I take same as North or South, for instance if I want to go to France shall I take the direct route and go East or take a nice long trip & go West, either way my destination would be France.

I do agree that it would be good to have North Korea / China / Africa etc be represented in good numbers here, it is always good to have / hear another side to a discussion.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Oh Jesus Harold Christ...does everything in life have to resemble the United Naitons? Can't I come and comment on UFO's without having to deal with someone wringing their hands about diversity?

# diversity. I'm tired of hearing about it.

Natural diversity is fine. Forced diversity (i.e. Oh we don't have anyone from Sierra Leone on here yet, SOMEONE GET ON THE PHONE!) is not.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Darkrunner]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Oh Jesus Harold Christ...does everything in life have to resemble the United Naitons? Can't I come and comment on UFO's without having to deal with someone wringing their hands about diversity?

ATS has become a lot more than a forum to talk UFO shop and merely wondered how we go about inviting more voices to the message boards.

I think now more than ever we have to become as diversified as possible. This forum is all about balanced viewpoints and all too often we only get one side to the story.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

ATS has become a lot more than a forum to talk UFO shop and merely wondered how we go about inviting more voices to the message boards.

I think now more than ever we have to become as diversified as possible. This forum is all about balanced viewpoints and all too often we only get one side to the story.

How you go about it would be to just spread the word about ATS and fill people in as to how they can register to become members...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

How you go about it would be to just spread the word about ATS and fill people in as to how they can register to become members...

But spread the word in as many different languages as possible. I am a self-confessed global citizen.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
From Asia here. Found ats while searching for info on ufos.. Didnt find the info was looking for but do find the site interesting. As to china simple most chinese more interested in making money than in conspiricies.. also as an fyi there are more chinese in china who speak english than there are people in the u.s who speak english. The 2 languages to know in order to succeed at anything in the world are mandarin and english.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Expat888]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I guess the ideal form of "cultural diversity" for some includes a membership with a non-white majority. After all, white people share a single perspective and outlook on life, regardless of which continents they live in or countries they have visited.

So, any suggestions for the types of quotas we should be aiming for?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I guess the ideal form of "cultural diversity" for some includes a membership with a non-white majority. After all, white people share a single perspective and outlook on life, regardless of which continents they live in or countries they have visited.

So, any suggestions for the types of quotas we should be aiming for?

One idea might be to offer the site in different languages - say French and Spanish. Just bouncing around ideas.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join