It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural diversity within ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
I've seen a lot of diversity on ATS. I've developed an awesome friendship with a Canadian - I realize that's not very diverse from Indy but there are differences. Made a pal in England. Seen some peeps from Russia. Lots of Aussies who are very enlightened and give a lot to ATS. India is represented. The only corner I don't see much of is the East.

The most culturally eye opening experience I've had was doing some collaborative writing. There is a wonderful Italian lady I had the pleasure of meeting. We didn't make nice at first - turned out so much of the difficulty was our cultural differences and our *perceptions* which were vastly different. I thought I was an evolved and educated chic and this wonderful person woke me up to the fact that I had more room to grow and to truly see myself as a world citizen and not just a Midwestern, US woman.

I'm grateful to know her and I'm grateful for the global community of ATS.

[edit on 6/13/2010 by Whisper67]

Encouraging post. I am sure my time on ATS will introduce me to some interesting human beings...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

i think thats because as time progresses we are all finding out that its not just the minorities getting screwed..

~meathead

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by LarryLove

Islamism appears to be well represented here, however I'm not sure where they are located geographically.

I wonder if ATS could list the visitors from say the top 100 countries?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
There's nothing so wrong with ATS which can't be fixed with an enormous red button at the top of the page which says "ATS International Version".

Then I'd be happy

Non USA people need an "international version" of ATS which doesn't involve oil spills, Obama, Palin and all the rest of the USA stuff which clogs everything up.

Sorry ! It's how I feel.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by Ulala]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
There's nothing so wrong with ATS which can't be fixed with an enormous red button at the top of the page which says "ATS International Version".

Then I'd be happy

Non USA people need an "international version" of ATS which doesn't involve oil spills, Obama, Palin and all the rest of the USA stuff which clogs everything up.

Sorry ! It's how I feel.

Interesting. I do see what you mean. This site has introduced me to topics I would never have come across in the regular media outlets. Many journeys through time and the internet have revealed some interesting finds.

There are times that ATS clogs up on things. Other times, my journey has been insightful.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by INQUISITION11

I seriously doubt they get ATS in China.
Too much freedom of expression.
Too much info period.

We have had members post here from China

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Then I'd be happy

Sorry ! It's how I feel.

Anyone from any Country is more than welcome to start a thread about something in their Country
Absolutely nothing stoping them.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by INQUISITION11

I seriously doubt they get ATS in China.
Too much freedom of expression.
Too much info period.

We have had members post here from China

Hello,

China hey. So ATS isn't blocked by the great 'firewall' then. How about Iran, North Korea and Burma? Just curious now!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Im not sure. If someone doesnt tell us, we may not know

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
ATS is open to all who have the means, the English language skills and the freedom to access the site.

You can't ask much more of a site than that.

I've met people from all parts of the world here who represent several races.

That the site may appeal more to some demographics than others is just the way it might be.

Not everyone is inclined to spend hours on the internet, or be concerned with our topics, or even want to own a computer or some other internet device.

The internet should be the great equalizer. Only the posters comments and arguments have value, not skin color, or occupation, or the clothes worn (or not worn), or the car driven, or the house lived in.

The posters values and views may be colored by race, or nationality, or culture, or age, or sexual orientation, or a jillion other variables, but whether or not those variables are made known is completely up to the poster.

Why should anything else matter?

[edit on 2010/6/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
ATS is open to all who have the means, the English language skills and the freedom to access the site.

You can't ask much more of a site than that.

I've met people from all parts of the world here who represent several races.

That the site may appeal more to some demographics than others is just the way it might be.

Not everyone is inclined to spend hours on the internet, or be concerned with our topics, or even want to own a computer or some other internet device.

The internet should be the great equalizer. Only the posters comments and arguments have value, not skin color, or occupation, or the clothes worn (or not worn), or the car driven, or the house lived in.

The posters values and views may be colored by race, or nationality, or culture, or age, or sexual orientation, or a jillion other variables, but whether or not those variables are made known is completely up to the poster.

Why should anything else matter?

I agree with all that you say, but when it comes to serious issues like Israel and Palestine, ATS has seen heavy and sometimes emotional responses from all except the Palestinians.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

That may be true, but what can ATS do about it?

There is a large Muslim population in the US, the UK, and Western Europe where English is widely spoken.

The voice of ATS is the voice of its membership.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

That may be true, but what can ATS do about it?

There is a large Muslim population in the US, the UK, and Western Europe where English is widely spoken.

The voice of ATS is the voice of its membership.

Or should it be: What can ATS do about it? How can we reach the unsung voice?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Aren't you asking me the same thing that I just asked you?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Anyone from any Country is more than welcome to start a thread about something in their Country

Nothing stopping them at all !

Some non US threads are a tremendous success, the Norway Spiral being one of them, or the downing of the Polish President's airplane ... but they're the exception and random events, they're not the rule.

Post a thread about Finnish politics or the latest Italian news ... similar in significance to their US equivalents ... and they'll BOMB. Because there's not a critical mass of contributors from those countries to support such threads.

And as you see your thread bomb, and all the time and energy you spent translating it into English wasted (and what a stupid rule that is, what are you so scared of threads which are not in English) ... you ask yourself ... why bother ? Because no-one cares. You might get a sympathy post ... "that's an interesting thread" but that's about it.

Those stats in the other thread are a revelation. Over 84% of visitors to ATS hail from the USA, Britain or British Commonwealth countries. Only 16% from the rest of the world. That's terrible stats. It should be the other way around !

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Aren't you asking me the same thing that I just asked you?

I just gotta believe that there is a way for ATS to become all encompassing. I read too many posts that deserve contribution from the people that live in the countries we write about.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I think this is the fourth thread you've put up looking for Palestinians?
Or citizens of NK?

I might be wrong...but I don't think NK's have ready access to computers, or speak English.

This might be true for many Palestinians also.

ATS is here for anyone who wishes, or is able to come. Perhaps you could visit some other forums and extend some invitations to them. The ones who could come, might not know we are here.

Edit: Changed third to fourth.

[edit on 6/13/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Nothing stopping them at all !

Some non US threads are a tremendous success, the Norway Spiral being one of them, or the downing of the Polish President's airplane ... but they're the exception and random events, they're not the rule.

Post a thread about Finnish politics or the latest Italian news ... similar in significance to their US equivalents ... and they'll BOMB. Because there's not a critical mass of contributors from those countries to support such threads.

And as you see your thread bomb, and all the time and energy you spent translating it into English wasted (and what a stupid rule that is, what are you so scared of threads which are not in English) ... you ask yourself ... why bother ? Because no-one cares. You might get a sympathy post ... "that's an interesting thread" but that's about it.

Those stats in the other thread are a revelation. Over 84% of visitors to ATS hail from the USA, Britain or British Commonwealth countries. Only 16% from the rest of the world. That's terrible stats. It should be the other way around !

Totally agree with you and this is part of the reason why I started the thread and wanted to know who came from where. ATS should be making steps to encourage more international visitors and provide mechanisms to encourage their posting and membership longevity.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

I think this is the third thread you've put up looking for Palestinians?
Or citizens of NK?

I might be wrong...but I don't think NK's have ready access to computers, or speak English.

This might be true for many Palestinians also.

ATS is here for anyone who wishes, or is able to come. Perhaps you could visit some other forums and extend some invitations to them. The ones who could come, might not know we are here.

Yes, there's always room to market for international membership. Gaza and the West Bank have not just one of the highest literacy rates in the world, but their internet connectivity far outweighs many other war zones. Why don't we see any Palestinian posters?

And in excess of 80% of visitors coming from the States, UK, Canada and other Commonwealth countries isn't a true reflection of global opinion. Perhaps we should be seeking diversity in visitor numbers?

[edit on 13-6-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

N/M

Peace Out.

[edit on 6/13/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join