It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird star again...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Replying to demonseed. I saw what appeared to be a star moving across the night sky in February 2009. I searched the internet the next day and read a comet had passed by. But, I really didn't believe that because news broadcasts usually mention when and where to view them (in advance). I didn't hear any advance warning of a comet being visable. Now that I have found this website, I will start documenting times and dates. I am just a stargazer for now but plan to learn more.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
reply to post by demonseed

i'm saying start paying attention to the sky just before complete darkness sometimes the sun maybe still kinda high and sometimes in the west with the sun setting you'll see stars come out that are to early to be stars planets or anything else sometimes you'll see things move oddly sometimes you'll without hard study you'll find them...all it takes is paying attention to your sky and if you live in the city find the best places to view the sky city lights block out alot of the sky!

Well any stars rising up above the horizon will shimmer and appear to be displaying different colors than usual. Im not saying that denies your claim but you should take note of that when you watch the skies for anything unusual

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

i coudl take you out on any given night and show you something you cant explain
stay thirsty my friend!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic

i coudl take you out on any given night and show you something you cant explain
stay thirsty my friend!

lol i have seen some strange stuff myself...

just saying make sure you real out any other possibilities first.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
If you're seeing a "new star" in the North/northeast sky, in the hours after sunset or before sunrise, you're most likely seeing Comet McNaught, a bright comet that just passed by its closest approach to Earth on June 15. It's due to pass perihelion on July 2, and between now and then will continue to be visible until the sun drowns it out. It's a non-periodic comet, so after perihelion it will leave the Solar System for good. Consider yourself lucky to have seen it!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Ok i have a new update June 19, 2010. ~ 9:40 P.M.

I spotted the star, checked stellarium, and didnt find anything. This is getting weird.

Here are links:

Stellarium Photo:
www.megaupload.com...
(You can also check the location for Woodland Hills, California 9:40 P.M. June 19, 2010. Its in the northwestern part of the sky right over the horizon.

But better yet, i recorder a video:
www.megaupload.com...

When watching the video, check these things:
THe redish/orange lights are just street lights. The object your looking for is the twinkling object just above those. I also pan out to the left to show you the moon in relation. This is a crappy camera, so sorry for the quality. The interesting thing to note is that you cant see any stars whatsoever. The camera barely makes out the moon, yet you can still catch a glimpse of this star on my crummy camera. In real life, its REALLY bright.

***I am trying to edit the original post but it wont let me. Anyone know why?

[edit on 20-6-2010 by demonseed]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It's 9:19 pm in Los Angeles, I am looking due west, above the horizon, and "Venus" looks bigger tonight. Also, it's not twinkling as much, more round in shape and larger. Fascinating. I saw it high in the sky while it was still light, it was in the area just to the left of where the sun had set. Can someone tell me why this star moves across the sky so fast? Does it have a differenet orbit? It disappears below the horizon like the sun.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed

I spotted the star, checked stellarium, and didnt find anything. This is getting weird.

Try turning off the landscape mode. Venus may be lurking behind a tree.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by starztonight
It's 9:19 pm in Los Angeles, I am looking due west, above the horizon, and "Venus" looks bigger tonight. Also, it's not twinkling as much, more round in shape and larger. Fascinating. I saw it high in the sky while it was still light, it was in the area just to the left of where the sun had set. Can someone tell me why this star moves across the sky so fast? Does it have a differenet orbit? It disappears below the horizon like the sun.

Four Month's Ago
2/21/10
Distant From Sun 0.72680
Size 9.93"
Mag: -4.0

Today
Distance from Sun 0.72075 AU
Size 14.61"
Mag: -4.5

Future
7/29/2010
Distant From Sun 0.72573 AU
19.59"
Mag: -4.9

Far in future
7/29/2011
Distant from Sun 0.72175 AU
Size: 15.41"
Mag:-4.6

AU = An astronomical unit (abbreviated as AU, au, a.u., or sometimes ua) is a unit of length equal to about 149,597,870.7 kilometres[1] (92,955,807 miles). It is defined by the International Astronomical Union, and is defined as the mean distance between the Earth and the Sun over one Earth orbit.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not sure if that helps

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

Originally posted by demonseed

Try turning off the landscape mode. Venus may be lurking behind a tree.

I already made that mistake in my first thread.

Venus appeared in stellarium but it was below the horizon(like, completely below) and its magnitude was very low.
In the general direction of the sky the only thing close where saturn and mars both of which are not that bright and where close to the moon.

This is actually pretty close to what i saw:
www.youtube.com...

Its very weird. It almost looks like the death star? lol.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Do schools no longer teach basic Astronomy?

Do ATS-able members not have the resources to review current night sky objects?

Must every "light in the sky" be a mystery or conspiracy for incredulous posts and threads by people who have no Earthly understanding of their place in the solar system/galaxy/universe.

These threads are a waste of time, bandwidth and attention.

Or, isn't that your goal in the first place?

jw

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
itz venus, it's always within 43 degrees of the sun.now that post from LA....that's different because he said it was south of where the sun set,,,is that a mistake in typing? i'm curious!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by starztonight

ok, that was you, starztonite....i can see where it was left of where the sun would set when you saw it during the afternoon! cool

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hello all,

Instead of search astronomy programs. try checking the MSM (although I know you don;t like to)

What you are seeing could be this.

Mail online

Although this is about the UK, as this is a UK newspaper. I am sure, given the size of it, it will be visible pretty much everywhere! And it is currently the brightest thing in the sky.

Make the most of it you won't see this one ever again.

[edit on 22/6/2010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

The comet is not even close to "the brightest thing in the sky". Right now it is only at about magnitude 4 . You aren't likely to even see it unless you are looking for it and using binoculars. It is also only visible in the east, just before dawn.

[edit on 6/22/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUltimateEnd
reply to post by IamMe14

Did you happen to see 6 shooting stars to the east last night? between 11-3

I was only out for a few minutes, unfortunately I missed that. That would have been very cool to see though.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ahh I heard somewhere is was. Whatever!!

BTW you avatar really freaks me out!!

Must be venus / mercury / or Mars then. Either that or the ISS, or some other unkown orbiting things.

Either that or it is a big bloody asteroid coming to get us.

And IF it is not any of those, then.............

Niburu!

Case closed

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by JakiusFogg

The comet is not even close to "the brightest thing in the sky". Right now it is only at about magnitude 4 . You aren't likely to even see it unless you are looking for it and using binoculars. It is also only visible in the east, just before dawn.

[edit on 6/22/2010 by Phage]

phage since you always seem to have an answer i would like to know what you think this object might be?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
Do schools no longer teach basic Astronomy?

Do ATS-able members not have the resources to review current night sky objects?

Must every "light in the sky" be a mystery or conspiracy for incredulous posts and threads by people who have no Earthly understanding of their place in the solar system/galaxy/universe.

These threads are a waste of time, bandwidth and attention.

Or, isn't that your goal in the first place?

jw

i dont think youve read the update:

Stellarium Photo:
www.megaupload.com...
(You can also check the location for Woodland Hills, California 9:40 P.M. June 19, 2010. Its in the northwestern part of the sky right over the horizon.

But better yet, i recorder a video:
www.megaupload.com...

When watching the video, check these things:
THe redish/orange lights are just street lights. The object your looking for is the twinkling object just above those. I also pan out to the left to show you the moon in relation. This is a crappy camera, so sorry for the quality. The interesting thing to note is that you cant see any stars whatsoever. The camera barely makes out the moon, yet you can still catch a glimpse of this star on my crummy camera. In real life, its REALLY bright.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hey I think i've been seeing the same star!

A few details:

I live in England (south-east),
The star/planet is in the south-easten sky,
Its visible from about 2am till about 5am,
Its about 70-75 degrees from the horizon,
It has a reddish tint.

Also it doesn't twinkle so I think its a planet but I haven't been able to find out what it is?

Any Ideas.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join