It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't God intervene? A question to the religious among you..

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FearNoEvil

Read the book of Job in the Old Testament. Job was a righteous man in Gods eyes.

I've been following this thread a little and it's turned out to be a list of lame excuses for the indolence of an invisible man that lives in the sky.

Grow up people ! Why does the invisible man in the sky do nothing when "innocent"children suffer ?

Occams razer = Your god is imaginary !

Good things happen = It is god

Bad things happen = It must be satan or some magical plan of gods' that we big children cannot even dream of comprehending.

This sort of BS is still being taught to children, no wonder our world is so messed up, get a grip !

Sometimes bad things happen and sometimes people do bad things, let's start learning to take responsibility for our actions and recognize the fact that accidents happen for no other reason than probability and misfortune.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well according to the Catholics these babies will go to purgatory. It really ain't too bad. It ain't too good either but it's not bad.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Because we are "God". The church has stolen this from us - you run from the extreme of those crazy priests and their old man in the sky - to the extreme of "reductionism" (nothing exist if it has no logical explanation).

Explain then why some people discover they have a "conscience", and start doing "illogical stuff" - against their own survival or gain ?

www.ascentofhumanity.com...

en.wikiquote.org...

[edit on 14-6-2010 by pai mei]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
mom and dad made you in their image
someone helped your mom with achiving a divine gift
you where found in a basket floating on the river of life

trinity of mom and dad

by law im only able to direclty intevene in my childs life til the day they turn 15 after that i can bann him from eden

one can then even argue that "god has given man free will" in return

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Well according to the Catholics these babies will go to purgatory. It really ain't too bad. It ain't too good either but it's not bad.

Apparently the xtians uninvented purgatory a little while ago, where the hell all the babies that were there ended up is anybodies guess.

Just goes to show that christians will believe almost anything a pastor type tells them and accept any insane reasoning as long as they don't have to think for themselves.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Why doesn't God intervene?

I don't know. Sorry dude, but I don't.

I have a strong faith/belief in God for sure...and I know that if it was my own child that suffered such things I'd probably get lost in my own anger and be asking Him the same thing...in probably rather errr *flavoursome* language!

But - I know its not an answer to your question, but its an honest one:
I don't know.

If the parents of those babies ever get a face-to-face with God, maybe they can ask Him why...kinda think we can try and surmise all we like what Gods reason/s may be...but hey I'm not God, or a God, so nope I wouldn't have the foggiest why.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
A Polite Request

Hi People,

Just thought I'd chip in with a Polite Request:

Often these topics tend to get particularly polarised and ultimately poisonous...with comments such as 'Believers are weak minded idiots!' and 'Non-believers are just angry sinners who NEED to be saved! Repent!'

...can we NOT go down that well worn road with this thread people? Please?

Will be keeping an eye on the thread...so lets not descend into the mud of side-jabs, snarky comments and condescending back-handers...

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I'd rather a handful died than billions.

Most religions would say it's free will... i turned away from these false religions a couple years back. I realised how absurd it was and how they made Lucifer seem to be the evil one...when in fact look at the history of the established religions and then look at the satanic groups.

One of the major reasons i'm now a Satanist.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Maybe what we think we know about "god" is completely wrong. Also, maybe what we think we know about death is wrong.

It's a completely western view that death is somehow a negative thing. Many ancient cultures view death as a revelation and a necessary part of life. I personally believe that everything happens for a reason, even 'tho we might not see it.

Maybe "god" is totally impersonal. That the perfect intelligence resides somewhere out of time and space. Maybe we don't have any actual contact with it. It just "is".

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
because he needs to keep the balance?
if he let everybody survive, then the population would grow even faster than it is now, thus destroying the world.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by da elohim
if he let everybody survive, then the population would grow even faster than it is now, thus destroying the world.

If this theory were true why not just kill off the bad people or the elderly who have had their chance to live. Let the children have a shot at life.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903

Originally posted by da elohim

If this theory were true why not just kill off the bad people or the elderly who have had their chance to live. Let the children have a shot at life.

because the elderly are not going to have any more children than he planned for them to have, they survived the baby stage.
and for the bad people, they are also needed, in most cases, they are lonely and generally do not reproduce, but the very evil ones make up for the rest of the evil ones as they kill many people, thus evening it out again!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by da elohim

All this from a supposedly loving God? Let the elderly and evil people live but have the children die off because they will eventually reproduce. Maybe God should have just commanded his followers to only have one baby or better yet commanded them to not reproduce at all, but that would have gone against what was said in Genesis to be fruitful.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

would he then be a chinese elite? and not a god.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
It is because mankind has free will.

Plants are entirely controlled by nature
Animals have very little free will
Humans are the most intelligent species with the most free will. With freedom comes responsibility.

If you have the freedom to make a train, you risk that train running people over. You are asking that God suspend the laws of physics, which would do more harm than good.

God gives man the ability to become wise. A wise man does not jump in front of a train. Your video shows a kid doing this, kids usually aren't that wise...too much pepsi and tv.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I sum it up thus:

"If God is good, and God is great, Why wont God step up to the plate?"

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

It cracks me up when people try to blame God. God gives us freewill, he doesn't force anyone to do anything they don't chose to do.

We are to blame for this. We are greedy and experts at pointing our fingers at everyone else.

This is talking mainly about the Gulf oil "spill".....

Right now is the time to try to stop this from getting worse although our hands are tied with so much being hidden from us. Even so, we should be focusing (for the time being) on how to take care of what is going on and not who is to blame.
That should be addressed and with harsh punishment too. In the meantime, we should be yelling at the top of our lungs, protesting, whatever needs to be done in order to see results and to know to what extent this has on us and the environment and to what extent it will have on our future.

God gave us common sense, it's up to us to use it or not.

First things first.

edit to clarify

[edit on 14-6-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I am by no means religious. Always have been a truth seeker though. I just wanted to say that the OP only need to wait a little longer and I do believe that God, the Creator of All, is going to intervene on humanities behalf. Not for a single event, but to save the planet and the crazy humans who inhabit it. You only need to look around, open your eyes and ears. The events taking place in this world right now, were foretold many moons ago, by different cultures all over the world. And they all believe that their "god", "savior", "hero", whatever; is coming back to intervene. So, sit back, grab a beer, and enjoy the show.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Age old question: Can God create a rock so heavy, he himself can not lift it?

Yes, and that "rock" is free will. God creates it by giving man the potential to be rational creatures, and does not intervene to stop this free will.

I would also like to say something to the people who claim that God is not a micromanager. God does see all things, but he sees them from the perspective of Eternity, so if you use the analogy of the farmer and his field of crops, God simultaneously sees all crops at all times.

And now is the point in the conversation where you ask "but if there's foreknowledge how is there free will?"

And to answer that question, just because God sees all things does not mean he controls all things that he sees. Nature, plants, certain animal instincts such as reproduction and digestion, God controls, but human reasoning and choice is left to humans. The problem is that while man has free will, he does not have absolute free will to do all things. But his will is free.

The will itself is free, but once willed, it becomes entangled in outside forces and becomes restricted. For example, at any moment you have the ability to jump, but as soon as you do, gravity pulls you down. In the same way, you have a free will, but as soon as you start to will it, it becomes obstructed by outside inertia, which is really just non-will. Thus, God is that absolute will which DOES NOT INTERVENE in the world but rather stays within its own location.

If Nature is essentially non-will, how does God control plants? By being a part of that will that forms into the shape of plants, animals, or human bodies, basically any type of matter. Since reality is non-will, basically non-existence, all things that exist must subsist by some type of real will, and that is God's will. But since all will becomes entangled by outside forces, God's creation eventually returns to nothing. At which point, it is cycled by a new creation.

At this point, you should ask, "But why does God continuously cycle new creations? Doesn't that somehow violate his perfect composure?"

If you are interested in that answer let me know.

Peace.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
God works on a global scale, his prime purpose right now is with Israel, those who are against it are with the devil who want to break God's final promise of the end days to the Jews.

How on Earth did Israel creep into this?

So in other words, God is busy with Israel at the moment, no time for anything else?

There lies your answer Kiwifoot, he is too busy with the chosen ones!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join