It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban corporations?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
So I was just reading a post talking about a Turkish man and his invention of off the grid electricity for your home and no petroleum for your car. Then I thought to myself, some big corporations will probably swoop in and take over the project and make huge profits and leave him with very little, or they will run it into the ground.

That made me think, we in the west are very innovative and best educated in the world yet we are not allowed to become entrepreneurs we have to work for some big corporate chain slaving away for someone because they chase away all of the small businesses. If we did not have corporations just think how many small business would be created.

We would become a place of people being their own bosses and making their own wages and not forced to obey their boss and give them your wages for nothing.

What do you think, do you think we would be better off with corporations strictly banned or not? State your argument.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I agree, corporations take accountability away from the people who make the decisions for a company.

The corporation being a legal "person", the members of the board who make all of the bad decisions are insulated from the consequences of their actions. You cannot sue the members of the board for their bad or malicious decisions, you can only sue the corporation. If the corporation suffers huge losses, the board members who drove it under will still get away with their "golden parachutes" and will suffer pretty much no consequences of their actions.

Another problem with corporations it that they are legally bound to create a profit for their shareholders. This means that acting in the public interest is not allowed unless they can use it for positive PR to improve their public image and make more $$$, the only thing the corporations care about.

A corporation which worked to further the public good and improve the living conditions of its workers would be sued by the shareholders for not increasing the value of their stocks.

Corporations are evil, pure and simple. They take the human element away from the ownership of business.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
What we need to do is reenact the contract law that our country had back in the late 1800s. It held businesses to prove their actions were for the good of our country. These contracts were reviewed every 10 years, if the business proved to have a positive stance for the country they were renewed if not the business was disbanded.

Rockefeller convinced Delaware to do away with this law so he and his cronies could create the Federal Reserve.

This is a good thread I hope it gets some positive responses.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Some corporations should be nationalised - others scrapped.

I'd be all for a world wide singular source for tooth brushes.

I'm not all for privatized farming.

I'd be all for a world wide singular source for general purpose vacuum cleaners

I'm not all for super-chain fast-food restaurants.

Some things need centralising - some things need decentralising.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Some corporations should be nationalised - others scrapped.

I'd be all for a world wide singular source for tooth brushes.

I'm not all for privatized farming.

I'd be all for a world wide singular source for general purpose vacuum cleaners

I'm not all for super-chain fast-food restaurants.

Some things need centralising - some things need decentralising.

Communism gotta love it. Personally it makes me want to puke.

It so funny how so many want freedom but want to give up all the rights that make them free. I am not sure if it is a lack of intelligence or what ?

Think about you have a huge government running many industries and you think you will still be free. It is about one thing and that is control they will not just stop with industries. HELLO

But what do I know ---OH wait take a good hard look at China.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I don't really see what the point is. A corporation is simply a legal construct. It isn't inherently 'good' or 'evil.' The people running it? Well, that's another matter. The problem is, if you ban corporations, the same ***holes can still run sole proprietorships, partnerships, and, for you commies out there, yes, even government.

It helps about as much as establishing a third political party. Sounds nice in theory, right until you get to the human element, which will lie, cheat and steal regardless of whatever label you put on them.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm against corporations - but not private business. The government should split major corporations into small pieces, smaller pieces that can be run locally and compete with one another - "playground capitalism" with an ever present watchful eye monitoring the size, growth and influence of business (and curbing it before it gets too large).

That said, I fully support nationalizing certain industries, including banking, healthcare, oil and housing.

I'm also a globalist - as long as it's not global capitalism.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This system worked when America was first starting and these huge companies were not already here. Now that these companies have the VAST amount of money and control they have over new companies starting and even what regulations and laws are passed we really have very little chance of getting out from under their control.

For true progress to occur people have to be allowed to create, and create without fear of being silenced because they come up with world changing ideas.

Remember how in the past entrepreneurs were people that were "in demand", people that were looked to when trying to advance the times. Now only established cooperations are the ones allowed to do anything innovative so any good technology can be bought and covered by those at the top.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Know your true enemy. He's not over there, that's a ploy to keep you distracted.

He is right here under your nose.

All of us are now ruled by the large corporations. They are scattered like little kingdoms, with their corporate flags and polished granite buildings (castles).

Nothing so far has changed in the past 1000 years - only the names and titles (again to keep you distracted).

We need to change who is running our lives and that can only begin once everyone wakes up and figures out who the real enemy is.

Not the little puppet on a string (Obama/another distraction/scapegoat).

Who then is the real enemy?

They are the men/women pulling the strings, making the puppet dance and talk, the people who own and run the corporations that have bought our government and our freedom.

If you cut out the cancer, you just don't take a little out, you get down to the deep root.

That is what we, the common person must do, get to the root cause (greed in the name of profit).

BP is just the latest example of the total disregard for all life the large corporations have.

For the destruction of our entire Gulf region, BP will get a small fine and slap on the wrists.

Why? They are a large corporation, and corporations run the show, make and break the laws - they are above the law.

We need to demand a stop to this insanity or we as a species may go the way of the dinosaurs.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
All corporations should be banned! All they are is a shield for plunderers to hide behind so the can do all manner of harm and not be liable!. If you want to start a company fine but you should be fully personally liable for any harm you cause to man or property period!

[edit on 16-6-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Very Big Corporations and Very Big Governments centralize power. Any system that tends toward the centralization of power will eventually go "tyrannical".

They should all be busted up into little pieces that will be more responsive to the customers they serve.

BP and all the big corporations should be busted up. The big governments should also be busted up into little pieces. They are both beyond the point where their structures are able to express empathy. They are just unthinking machines with human cogs.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
I don't really see what the point is. A corporation is simply a legal construct. It isn't inherently 'good' or 'evil.' The people running it? Well, that's another matter. The problem is, if you ban corporations, the same ***holes can still run sole proprietorships, partnerships, and, for you commies out there, yes, even government.

It helps about as much as establishing a third political party. Sounds nice in theory, right until you get to the human element, which will lie, cheat and steal regardless of whatever label you put on them.

Wrong! Corporations give government sanction and protection to liars and cheats and thieves! Its not just another business construct it is specifically to "limit liability" Meaning you don' have to be responsible for the harm you cause others.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

That's not really true. A corporation does provide some limited liability protection for management under normal business conditions, but does not protect the senior officers in the event of actual fraud.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Ban CORPORATIONS
now you're talkin

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Corporations are nothing more than voluntary groups of people working together toward a common goal.

The only thing that makes corporations more than this is government.

When you say "we should ban corporations," what you are really saying is we should ban voluntary groups of people working together.

Banning voluntary groups of people working together is such a retarded idea that I don't need to go any further. What we should ban is government from bailing out corporations, restricting corporations, offering no-bid contracts to corporations, creating barriers to corporate competition through regulation and subsidies, limiting corporate liabilities, accepting corporate campaign donations, and from offering favorable tax breaks to specific corporations.

Corporations are not evil.

Government is evil.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by belidged
What we need to do is reenact the contract law that our country had back in the late 1800s. It held businesses to prove their actions were for the good of our country. These contracts were reviewed every 10 years, if the business proved to have a positive stance for the country they were renewed if not the business was disbanded.

Rockefeller convinced Delaware to do away with this law so he and his cronies could create the Federal Reserve.

This is a good thread I hope it gets some positive responses.

Thank you for this tidbit. My dad was telling me about when the Constitution was drafted how the founding fathers knew the danger of large groups of people working together simply to make a profit. That the first types of companies prohibited large groups of people from doing anything that did not benefit the people. It made sense to me, but I was never able to track down the origin of these rules. Thank you for the information, so I can look into this topic further.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
Corporations are nothing more than voluntary groups of people working together toward a common goal.

The only thing that makes corporations more than this is government.

When you say "we should ban corporations," what you are really saying is we should ban voluntary groups of people working together.

Banning voluntary groups of people working together is such a retarded idea that I don't need to go any further. What we should ban is government from bailing out corporations, restricting corporations, offering no-bid contracts to corporations, creating barriers to corporate competition through regulation and subsidies, limiting corporate liabilities, accepting corporate campaign donations, and from offering favorable tax breaks to specific corporations.

Corporations are not evil.

Government is evil.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

I usually agree with you but you are wrong on this. Corporate Charters are granted by government. This is government protection against liability. This is not about banning groups of people voluntarily working together. It's about avoiding liability for the harm you cause under color of law i.e. corporations.

No one is against groups of people working together. What we are against is people hiding behind some government construct called corporations to avoid being liable for thier actions!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I think your distinction that corporations hide behind government created liability caps, and criminal acts is important. Government was designed to protect the people's rights from large groups of people working against those rights. Government was not designed to insulate people acting against the rights of others.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The Black Plume seems curiously linked to the Wall Street debacle and recession. After 30 years of "the government is the problem" ideology, we should not be surprised that no respected or adequately resourced arm of government is effectively watching over the corporations

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Boycot corporation's products. This is your only tool. Yell at people buying BP gas. Intimidate and harass them. Money is the only thing the corporocracy will listen to, and you control it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join